What's for Dinner #21 - 05/2017 - Garden Banquet edition

Ribs baked with a dry rub (salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, brown sugar) and finished on the grill with a spicy Korean sauce. Side was a grilled romaine salad with roasted cherry tomatoes and a caesar dressing. A big Cali old vine zin to drink.

5 Likes

I know the loin but this cut is a very big chunk (mine is 500g and “small”). I have tried to look it up but found nothing. My book says it’s “blade” of sorts. Here the “filet” is for roasting or made into roulade/stuffed for roasting.

Cuts of meats in Netherlands are not sophisticated. Only standard/simple cuts. If you take a look at the diagrams here you’ll know what I mean. It’s for beef but pork and lamb cuts are the same.

Fascinating with the different cuts from each country - thanks for that!

Even the names of the cuts are different in countries which speak the same or similar languages. It’s a big headache. Sometimes I bring a diagram to the butcher to order a cut but can’t because they don’t butcher that cut for sell in the shop. Only standard cuts. :rage:

2 Likes

It was getting late and dark fast so just a couple of quick shots today.

I ate the rest of the oysters over the kitchen sink before the photos. A nice double IPA to wash it all down.

A fish must swim 3 times. In water, in wine and in butter! Rays are no exception.

Tomorrow it’s back to normal spring weather again, apparently. We have been having Australian high temperatures this week. This would be me if I were in Australia during the southern summer!

5 Likes

Here, today is better than yesterday, they announced a storm, I’m still waiting for it to happen…

A few dinner from the last few days.
Pork ribs marines with garlic and rosemary cooked with beer. Salad: endive, peas, leaves.

Carpaccio with dried tomato and olive sauce

Tonight, cod with feva beans, peas, dried tomatoes, lemon, capes, chives, lemon verbena, lemon thyme, lemon juice and olive, very good

Home made lemon sorbet with mint, harvest from my garden: raspberries, strawberries, spanish mint and balsamic vinegar. The sorbet wasn’t very solid maybe because of the heat, but still very good!

6 Likes

On the plate of steak tartar, was it truffle?

A quiet day. Laundry, changing the bed (I miss Buster “helping” me to change the sheets - neither Alfie or Finn have any interest), dishes, watching “Billy Elliot” on Amazon Prime Video, and listing to my Amazon Music playlist while I read.

I made a Manchego cheese, membrillo, Marcona almonds, prosciutto, clementines and grapes cheese and fruit plate for an early afternoon Scooby Snack.

Dinner ended up being another FB Memory from last year: lamb burgers. Caramelized onions and feta cheese, along with some green leaf lettuce topping the burger on a lightly toasted and buttered Kaiser roll. Deviled eggs and baby potato salad with lemon and mint.

I meant to make Lemon Posset for dessert, but didn’t.

There’s wine. Fortification needed for tomorrow. :-/

6 Likes

I made some wicked umami burgers tonight. - ground beef, minced onion, salt, 2 tbsps. dried mushroom powder, 1 tbsp. anchovy paste. YUM! Spinach salad on the side.

Then I saw what others had!

2 Likes

I was the one raving about the kombu celery- too bad you had a stringy bunch that’s annoying.
Your goats are SO adorable!!

1 Like

Not much cooking here lately- last week most of my dinners were at work… my mom came to visit this weekend! :grin: she loves soft shell crabs and asian food which aren’t easy to find where she lives in CA. We found her some sautéed soft shell crab one night at a great sushi place, i had their fresh tofu and a few other little dishes. The next night we went to an izakaya before our show and they had a tempura style soft shell crab for mom, and we ordered the fantastic miso grilled rice ball. I had some of the veggie takitori, a miso eggplant little dish, and tofu/sprouts and veggies sauté of some sort.

Tonight we went to this really charming little spot called 12 chairs (it’s probably more like 20 chairs) which is israeli/middle eastern with some eastern european dishes too. Anyhow, i had a great bowl of the borscht (which was veg!) and the plate of hummus topped with mushrooms which came with amazing fresh warm fat pita and some little pickles veggies. Mom’s lamb dish came with a tahini yogurt sauce and the same pita.

We walked all over every day and i’ve been snacking on the breakfast radishes i got at the farmers market- there was this huge wall of a few different kinds that was really gorgeous

9 Likes

aren’t they?? hah - wish they were mine. wouldn’t that be fun - baby goats in an apt.? i could let them out on the fire escape…

2 Likes

Quick light dinner tonight; grilled veggie salad and grilled bread with ricotta and cherry salsa. A bottle of rose to drink.

10 Likes

Now that’s impressive, actually takes time to pile them like this!

1 Like

Looks good, the grilled food! What was the yellow vegetable?

Pattypan squash. There was yellow and green in the salad.

1 Like

Ina’s parmesan chicken with arugula salad. Makes a really quick and tasty dinner. A flattened chicken breast is floured, dipped in egg thinned with water, and then coated with seasoned bread crumbs (I used panko with salt, pepper, dried oregano, and garlic powder) and parmesan . Saute in butter and olive oil until brown and crispy. Top chicken with salad.

2 Likes

Last couple of dinners. It’s nice and cool again today. Phew… Dropped 10 degrees Celsius overnight.

Simple (sous vide/“SV”) salmon, then seared.

The wine. From deep south of Netherlands. To make it sparkling the traditional method they had to send to a maker in Germany. This bottle costs eur.15. In Bremm I paid around eur.10 on average. But it’s different at the source so can’t really complain about the extra euros it costs me. Partner agrees we should go clear the shelf at the supermarket near my house because we this wine tastes good and can’t be found anywhere in the country.

Yesterday. Fermented black beans in a bag, not ready made sauce by Lee Kum Kee. The redness came from Sichuan chillies in oil. Also, there’s tamari, onions, garlic etc.

Plate.

Half moon tonight. Just made the photo and now you’re seeing it here.

@naf, yes, truffle.

6 Likes

It was a use-it-or-freeze-it night for dinner, even though it’s usually a Friday night meal. But I’m hoping to have some sangria and tapas this Friday night, so tonight was steak night.

A rib-eye steak was seasoned lightly with olive oil, Penzey’s Old World seasoning and some minced fresh rosemary, then grilled on the grill pan; finished in the oven to 135° on the Thermapen.

Baked tater and steamed asparagus (and a glass of wine) alongside. T’was good.

5 Likes

I started a new June thread here: