What's for dinner? #2 - The Second Coming- through 10/31//2015

Turkey meatballs, a quick red sauce, and a few noodles. Parmesan toast, and wine for sides.

3 Likes

The leftovers from last night’s roast shoulder of lamb and the veggies have yielded two shepherds pies. They’re in the freezer and will just need the potato topping when they come out.

Tonight? Quiche & salad.

2 Likes

Braised dishes don’t usually end up being photogenic so I won’t be making photos later. Here’s what being cooked as we speak.

My house smells of smokey meat and juniper berries. German saying in pig’s frame reads "eating and drinking holds the body and soul together’. It’s one of many much loved sayings in German.

5 Likes

Haha so true i often think my prep is far prettier than the result

I something think I am alone in viewing Italian food as not appealingly photogenic. I see so much of it in glossy magazines and on the internet and think: “That looks awful!” – except I know the dish is delicious.

Tonight I will be re-heating the leftover mussels and broth then tossing in hot spaghetti. For the main dish: cannellini beans and tuna – straight out of their cans! – with olive oil, fresh rosemary and garlic. I have pomegranate and pears for dessert.

You’ll just have to imagine how it looked, eaten under a crystal chandelier.

5 Likes

Well, tonight is rainy (wet) and rainy (pine needles) and miserable. So comfort food is on the menu for tonight. We need warm comfort smells. Tonight will be Beef Stew and (Rhodes) home risen rolls. Between the two, the house smells delicious. I always like to add a dash of clove as well as allspice to my stews as well as add all the favorites of beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, corn, green beans, etc… Gives off such a great smell. And there is nothing like the smell of fresh-baked breads/rolls. I’m already hungry for dinner and that’s several hours away! Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday.

4 Likes

That smoked beer is my secret chili ingredient (When I can find it.) Looks like it’s going to be a tasty braise.

Wow. Kinda glad this weekend is over - little too much going on for my taste & not a single home-cooked meal.

The burrata caprese pre first show last night hit the spot; wings ordered at the second venue were disappointing. Perhaps I shoulda stuck with buffalo, but for some idiotic reason I decided to try the “blueberry habanero” and “orange firecracker” - neither of which had any heat to them, and I think I can do without berry flavor on my wings, thkyouverymuch. They were also underdone. Meh.

As for tonight, it looks to be Indian takeout. We’ll get what we always get: chicken makhani, keema naan & mutter paneer. Zombies on the tube.

Back into the kitchen mañana. I’ve been eyeing this pork recipe from the NYT, as well as this chicken recipe. We shall see.

1 Like

Stuffed Baby Eggplants. Halved Italian “datteri” tomatoes (like what we call grape tomatoes) with a little bit of their juice, cubed mozzarella, diced caciocavallo siciliano, minced capers, minced garlic, cubed day-old Italian bread soaked in milk, hot pepper flakes, parsley, basil, grated pecorino, olive oil, sea salt. And, of course, chopped eggplant interior.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Combined elements of a few recipes to concoct this Shredded Tofu w/ Black Fungus dish. Also includes carrots, shallots, garlic, ginger, Thai bird chili, lemongrass, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, Chinese Shaoxing wine,lime juice and cilantro. Next time I’d scratch the tofu & use a ground meat instead.

5 Likes

Wow. That sounds fabulous. I love caciocavallo! How long and at what temp did you bake the eggplant? 375? For an hour or so? Finished under the broiler?

Thanks. I baked it at 350 for about an hour. No broiler necessary, though I did shift it from lower middle to upper middle while baking. Everyone who tasted it thought it was delicious, but if I were to do this again, I think I’d like more tomato juice and eggplant in the filling and a little bit less mozzarella. That said, I was pretty happy with it.

1 Like

lessee… last night before the cocktail party (which ended up being kind of a bust - 3 other people besides me and the host, and i made a LOT of lime/cilantro mix. oh well, more for me), i made a quick dinner (idea taken from a poster on the FB WFD site) of onion & bell pepper sausages from our local italian deli, un-cased and chunked up, tossed in a casserole with olive oil, red & yellow peppers, chopped potatoes, onions, 8-10 whole garlic cloves, cherry toms, spinach, s&p, oregano, basil and whole fennel seed. into a 350 degree oven, covered, for 30 mins., uncovered for 40 mins, then topped with dollops of fresh ricotta and under the broiler for a few. served with crusty toasted ciabatta for juice soakage. really tasty.

Tonight was an old favorite - Salade Lyonaise, by way of Spain, as I subbed Spanish chorizo for the bacon/lardons. A poached egg each, frisee, peppery radish sprouts, crispy fried potato cubes and buttery toasted bread crumbs for crunchiness, all in a lemon/dijon/shallot vinaigrette. Love the way the egg blends with the vinaigrette to make a creamy dressing.

On the side i roasted some leftover red & yellow bells with olive oil, slivered garlic, and Jerez sherry vinegar. The usual way I make these little luscious boats are with a single anchovy roasted in each, with the anchovy melting into the oil and vinegar and making a lovely sauce. But the BF is anti-fishy things, so I left them off.

8 Likes

Try a craft beer store. This very well-known Franconian brewery imports to the US. Good luck.

This is the brewery. It’s like taking a trip back in time. I have been there several times. These days it’s even harder to get inside the pub, let alone finding a seat. Their smoke (actually not “smoked”) beer is cask dispensed, and there’s usually just 1 (yes, ONE) beer.

Oh yes, the braised was really tasty. Thanks!

Their Lent beer in my private Biergarten last spring

2 Likes

Saved the chicken one; it’s a lot like an oft used shrimp baked with feta, kalamata olives and tomatoes one I have).

I started some pizza dough last night and it is now fermenting in the fridge. We will make four pizzas, enough for four servings and leftovers for lunch. Three of them will start with marinara [just finished], mozzarella cheese. One will get some Italian sweet sausage and roasted garlic, another will have fresh mozzarella and basil, and the third will sport some homemade meatballs. The fourth pizza will be made with pesto, fresh mozzarella, roasted garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. All the pizzas get a nice sprinkling of parmesan.

This morning, I made some bagel dough, and they are now shaped and fermenting. Toppings will be sesame, onion and salt, garlic and salt, and then a few with nothing.

Once again, my KitchenAid has suffered a setback so am putting its replacement to the test.

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was artichoke hearts and legs, dressed with olive oil & lemon, spaghetti tossed with chopped zucchini + their flowers, sprinkled with parmigiano-reggiano, and for the main course an herb frittata. No dessert.

3 Likes

Alea iacta est: the NYT recipe for Greek chicken stew I linked yesterday. I’m always excited when I’m making a dish for the first time (plus I rarely ever follow recipes), so I hope this delivers.

4 Likes

Sautéed the ceps and (small) king trumpets with garlic. Meat was a thick Berkshire pork cut (x2, has a rib bone and rind intact) which was marinated in a dark beer called Westmalle. The meat (Berkshire) is always a bit expensive but when the organic butcher has it I can’t walk away without it. No time for photos today. Maybe the butcher has the same cut again next week. Photos next time, maybe. Pink hue and well marbled Berkshire…

4 Likes