What's for Dinner #19- 03/2017 daylight savings time means more time to cook

Quiet here, hope it’s just temporary.

Yesterday dinner was quite satisfying, cod coated with a fine layer of grilled crutchy parmesan, capers pickles, and spirulina powder, on an avocado, grapefruit and green salad. Really good!

Dinner finished with some 30 month old Comté.

7 Likes

Yesterday was grilled lamb. Brushed all over with grated turmeric and kebab spice mix in oil. No finished photo as it got dark by the time we ate.

Today: steamed prawn and pork belly paste wrapped in 2 nori sheets.

What’s in the paste: raw prawns, pork belly, ginger, garlic, onion, fish sauce, chicken powder. They got minced in a food processor.

6 Likes

Yesterday it almost felt like spring in HV, so I had grilling on my mind. A nice chuck-eye steak was liberally showered with kosher salt and sat in the fridge before getting the fire treatment.

I sautéed a mix of shiitake, baby bellas & oysters as a “topping” of sorts, and also made a big-ass mixed salad of romaine, radishes, carrots & the last of the flavor bomb tomatoes with homemade blue cheese dressing, one of my man’s favorites.

As for tonight, we’ve got our bi-weekly Sichuan jour fixe with 8 chile heads (so far) followed by my bassist’s poker round. Hopefully I’ll win some tonight. It’s been a while :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Leftover chicken used in a composed salad with romaine, slices of carrots, radishes, English cuke, red bell pepper, and some pretty good tomato slices. A lemon-herb vinaigrette drizzled over top (and post picture, sprinkled with some goat cheese and croutons for extra crunch). Not too shabby.

12 Likes

No vegetables . A couple duck breasts cooked in ci skillet . I’ll reduce a little red wine and add some red currant jam , and butter for a sauce . Broken fried white potato in oo . Good to go . Wine to drink .:wine_glass: Cheers .

4 Likes

This entire meal works for me! :wine_glass:

1 Like

Very pretty too!

1 Like

Rough couple of days with my crazy office combined with lack of sleeping due to jet lag weirdness. I seem to wake up waaay too early and really hungry and by mid afternoon i want to just pass out with my head on my desk regardless of how much coffee i have had. Ugh.
Sesame peanut noodles tonight with some buckwheat noodles, smoked tofu and lots of cilantro. Side of raw veggies sprinkled with furikake.
Dessert will be hot tea with a half dose of unisom a la carte.

4 Likes

The last of the weekends short ribs over penne. Garlic bread and salad too.

5 Likes

precious little cooking here, i must admit… we were away last weekend and then i was out a good amount of the week. Did get in the kitchen over the weekend. Ventured into Persian land - Fesenjan and kuku sabzi…

the chicken was awesome but that kuku sabzi (super herby frittata) is my new obsession. i made another for lunches this week.

on a more pedestrian note - NY Steak (ok - i’m just not a fan of the texture - i’m a rib eye lover - but i wanted to try. ) did a reverse sear and it came out just fine. i’m just not converted. smoked paprika roasted potatoes tossed with sauteed leeks and crimini finished with amontillado sherry.

6 Likes

that cod is stunning!

1 Like

what a score! i would have done the same.

1 Like

Okay, that is an excellent idea.

That cod looks great. Just the sort of thing I’ve been craving while away in Asia. Then you mention
Comté one of my favourite ever cheeses. Please tell me you didn’t have a glass of chilled Viognier or Chablis with the cod. Not sure I could cope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Two of my food magazines had big spreads on Persian cuisine last month, and both included a version of this. How do you make yours? I am a huge fan of herbs and eggs so I’m sure I would love it!

1 Like

i followed this one, but a Persian acquaintance said you can use different herbs. i think the key for me were the dill, the fenugreek in dry leaf form (not seed), and the turmeric. i used a little less salt the second time around. it’s delicious! just had a couple of wedges for breakfast.

Thank you! This sounds wonderful. I’m a big fan of fenugreek (methi) leaves - I usually buy them frozen from an Indian grocer. I’m sure it’s a great combo with the dill and cilantro.

oh i didn’t think about getting them frozen! it is, all the flavors are really well-balanced.

Halibut steak cooked in oo . Annies Mac and cheese . Salad made of tomato , Persian cucumber , and red onion . Wine to drink . :wine_glass: Cheers

2 Likes

It was a C.O.R.&.C.N. night. (Clean Out the Refrigerator & Cabinets Night)

Half box of farfalle pasta cooked.

Half an onion, chopped.
Half a red bell pepper, sliced.
Two carrots, peeled and sliced.
Four radishes, sliced.
Five stalks of asparagus, chopped.
Rest of the roast chicken, chopped up.

Half a container of Presidente Garlic-Herb pub cheese.
One half cup heavy cream.
One half cup pasta water.
White wine.
Minced fresh thyme and parsley.
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
Handful of grated Parm-Reg.
Salt & Pepper.

The veg was sauteed, the chicken was added to warm up. The sauce was whisked together, the pasta was added, then the chicken/veg mixture.

Spooned into a bowl; additional Parm-Reg on top with some dried fresh lemon zest. Wine alongside.

8 Likes