Bulkie roll.
Tater chips on the side.
And wine in the glass.
Like duh!
It’s Friday.
AND IT’S SNOWING ON MARCH 31ST!!! Almost April not-Fools. ::Sigh:::

8 Likes

Where ARE you?

I went to the Sohha yogurt shop today and splurged on a big container to go, their thick creamy yogurt is really fantastic.
I decided to make a few sautéed dates to go ontop of the yogurt for a simple quick dinner- i use pitted dates, a little good olive oil, some flakey salt, a good crack of pepper, and then i gave the bowl a heavy sprinkle of hemp seeds. Some cucumber slices scooped up the yogurt that i didn’t catch with the dates.

3 Likes

In relation to the snow? Just north of Boston.

Today is the 20th anniversary of the beginning of the April Fools Day Blizzard. In 1997, March 30th gave us 63°F weather. Then a cold front came in overnight, and rain, snain, sleet and then snow (and thundersnow!) started mid-day on the 31st. It snowed upwards of 3" of snow for a few hours overnight into April 1st, until the snow finally stopped. Boston ended up with 25.5", Worcester got 33" of snow. Prior to the April Fools Day blizzard, Boston had received only 16.5" of snow for the entire season.

They’re talking 8" or more for my area north of Boston. And then mid-to upper-40s on Sunday. So yeah. It happens.

1 Like

That is some serious weather. Here in L.A., a sailboat got thrown into the Redondo Pier yesterday because of strong winds. That’s our exciting weather report.

What cuisine is that? Is it Vietnamese?

I saw that on the news this morning - those waves were pretty damn big! And the people on the boat were very lucky not to hit the pier pilings.

I got the idea from a little Japanese(-style) cookery book but they used a different seasoning. Must have given the book away or it’s in some box because I couldn’t find it now now. Have made this before and it looked better then.

No traces of coffee in the taste at all?

I have read about coffee rub but hesitated to give it a go. Would :sweat_smile:rather drink it

Well so far I picked up a 2 1/2 # trussed boneless lamb sirloin roast . Thinking about grilling it . :thinking: Maybe some mashed potatoes . I do have frozen peas . And a bottle of wine . :wine_glass: Cheers . Happy April Fools day .:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Sounds good. We have a new April thread now. Not fooling you :wink:

2 Likes

Ha Ha . Maybe I can have my post moved or rewrite it and post where it belongs.:upside_down:

1 Like

ooh, i’ve made those sauteed dates before, served them as an app. so good!

1 Like

I was determined to find myself some white kimchi today. Except… apparently all kimchi, even white kimchi, is made with fishy stuff. ;( damnit. The fabulous white kimchi i had in korea was the vegetarian restaurant so silly me i didn’t realize it usually has fishies.
Anyhow it was not a futile trip and i indulged my love of pickled vegetables with a selection of radishes, pickled cabbage, pickled ginger, and more pickled radishes

A few of the long pickled daikon (meant for inside of sushi) were my appetizer along with the tasty sesame beansprouts (which i plan to make myself a batch of tomorrow). I pan fried some tofu with sesame oil and soy sauce, then sautéed some sliced king mushrooms and oyster mushrooms with the same and put it over some rice with the mushroomy liquid as a sauce and some chopped scallions on top.
Two of these tasty red bean mochi were dessert with my mug of ginger tea

5 Likes

Not all kimchee has shrimp in it! I went to a Korean market and literally spent 20 minutes going through every single version they sold until I found one without garlic or shrimp.

“Temple food” uses no garlic, onion, or animal products. Kimchee is absolutely possible to find without these items. Korean and Chinese temple food is eaten by many Buddhists, not only monks. I have eaten at both Korean and Chinese restaurants asking for these dietary restrictions, and most are very understanding and accommodating of these requests.

And I love all the pickle items you found. I may need to make another run to Koreatown very soon.

Grew up with Buddhist parents. Temple Food is one of the best .
The monks back home have festivities whereby all temple members are welcome for a fee. Usually, it is a 12-15 course meal using tofu in various forms. They make mock peking duck, ( vey crispy dried bean curd sheets), mock fish , mock crispy beef etc. They not only taste and look like the real dish but fabulous if you can find a temple here in the US.
I have a friend whose mother is buddhist, comes to visit US, and when she goes to one of the temples, bring me back fresh fruits from their monastery. They are the best fruits I have ever had.
Have you tried Jelly fish? ( not temple food) That is a favorite appetizer if prepared correctly . It is Crunchy, tasteless by itself but add sesame oil and different spices to your liking ( spring onions, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine and hot pepperetc)

1 Like

Not with this roast. I think I underplayed the coffee and overplayed the other spices, because when I did the Coffee Rub on a plain old pot roast several days ago, the coffee shined in that dish.

1 Like

@Ttrockwood - you should copy/paste over on the new April '17 thread - we’ve moved over here:

1 Like

Oh that’s good to know, even though the H mart in K-town didnt have any fishie free kimchi for me i will not give up the hunt!

Oh how lucky you are to have had such exposure to temple food! I have had some mock duck at Chinese restaurants before that sounds similar, i think it was made from layers of yuba skin.
I haven’t had jellyfish before, but that sounds like an interesting dish. If i ever change my mind about staying vegetarian i’ll give it a go :wink: