What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

Glorious photos, mariacarmen!

1 Like

Maria, definitely, your oxtail stew and gratin like really comforting and delicious, how did you cook them? With which spices, ingredients?

Love your meals!!

1 Like

Knocking one out of the park Maria as usual. Multicultural deliciousness

3 Likes

Good eating at hotel-restaurant Maria Carmen again!

Continueing the Asian theme from yesterday. “White-cut” chicken is the name in Chinese recipes. The cooking method is just poaching with ginger and spring onions etc. Dipping sauce is tamari with minced ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and my own scotch bonnet chilli paste. I despise spring onions so lots of chives instead.

Bought 2 chicken legs and got the butcher to separate them for me. He always has a good cleaver within reach anyway.

1/4 litre of Shaoxing rice wine and ginger in the marinade then steamed.

10 Likes

I love fesenjan. And butternut squash gratin. And oxtails. And osso bucco.

1 Like

Leftover sausage with grapes . I poached some zucchini in oo with a little garlic and capers , zested some lemon over it to finish .Polenta cooked in some butter and dusted with Parmesan and a drizzle of balsamic .

6 Likes

I hope you feel better soon! Soup and sleeping helps a lot

1 Like

Early afternoon brunch celebration stretched into several hours today. Fantastic bloody marys and since we were a large group there was a set menu- the only actually vegetarian dish was this beautiful citrus and yogurt plate i had

Wonderful company made up for it but i left buzzed and hungry. I walked directly to the nearest bagel shop and got an everything with hummus, tomato, pickles, red onion, and lettuce.

Other half of the bagel (it was huge!) for dinner along with a side salad with arugala, edamame, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, cherry tomatoes and a quick dijon vinegrette. Side of misi broth to keep me warm.

10 Likes

haha me too!

Hi Naf - thanks! a friend on another food group shared the recipe, from a Joy of Cooking book, i believe, from the 80s, maybe? she didn’t copy it verbatim, but here it is:

12 oz shredded butternut
2 T AP flour
1 t salt
pepper to taste
1/2 c shredded gruyere
Toss.

Rub 10" gratin dish with a garlic clove…butter dish…chop garlic and add to 1 1/2 c scalded milk. Put squash in dish, pour over milk. Bake at 375 for 40 min covered, remove cover and bake for 20 more

It’s delicious and light tasting!

as for the oxtail, i believe i just did standard mirepoix, red wine, beef stock, some thyme…maybe a little tomato paste? sorry, i didn’t follow a recipe for that. the oxtail cooks low and slow, after browning.

haha, and i just realized something… the pic with the butternut gratin is actually chicken, not oxtail! i did make oxtail recently, but that is definitely not it. panfried chicken thighs with leeks. oops…

1 Like

why, thank you!

thanks, scuba!

haha, thanks Presunto!

look at those prawns… they look so fresh!

1 Like

and here’s the osso buco. turned out really well - i used SE’s recipe, mostly (dry sherry instead of wine, leeks instead of onion, marjoram instead of oregano). really tasty, super tender. love the gremolata.

parsnip and carrot mash on the side, with a little heavy cream because i had it, butter, and some parm. i could eat this for days.

and roasted fennel with parm grated over the top. delish.

7 Likes

Thx, getting a lot better after 3 days of (bad) sleeping.
Very lovely citrus plate.

Thanks for the recipe, never tried butternut gratin this way.

Haha, but strangely, it was so dark that it didn’t look like chicken!

The osso buco is really lovely!!! No more words!

2 Likes

Tempura cauliflower. This was okay. They were nice and crispy for about 2 minutes and then not so much. Dips were honey mustard, Frank’s hot sauce mixed with some left over ranch, and white sauce from the halal chicken. Caesar salad and wine were sides.

5 Likes

Beautiful fish!

Non industrial smoked mackerel (costs eur.2 more) from the same market fishmonger where I always eat maatjes herrings (and buy skrei or whatever looks good). I call him “expensive fishmonger”, but affectionately, as his stuff is usually of higher quality. Not only that, sometimes I ask him to order some stuff for me and he immediate makes phone calls to find it and order it for me. He knows what’s good, has eaten just about everything in the sea, well travelled and knows his fishy sheee-eeeet! I eat a lot of seafood and am glad to have such a fishmonger.

The partner likes this smoked fish a lot. It’s good to eat mackerel: cheap, plentiful, nutritious, delicious in many ways. I removed a small section for the photos. When I was a child I liked sucking out the marrow if the fish was big enough (tuna was best for this).

After Hungary we struggle to find any Furmint wine at home. Could only find 2 so far, both from Slovenia. Furmint variety is indigenous to Hungary, Tokaj to be precise. Btw, fatty, strongly flavoured fish/seafood also pair well with light(er) red wine.

7 Likes

Serious veggie craving for tonight. I found some good looking broccoli and made this tahini broccoli which is quickly becoming my favorite way to roast any veggies. I use probably just one TB olive oil, and whatever juice from one lemon alogn with the peeled stems chopped. In my crummy oven it takes closer to 20min. The roasted broccoli landed in a bowl of plain greek yogurt and made a tasty meal in about a half hr from starting chopping to eating. Side of hot miso broth to sip. And just a few bites of broccoli leftover… (realistically serves two generous side dish portions)

2 Likes

I discovered a package of hamburger in my fridge tonight that I thought I had put in the freezer - oops! It was use or lose so I made taco meat - browned it and seasoned with chile powder, smoked paprika, cumin, onion, garlic and a bit of salsa that was languishing in the fridge.

Costco has been carrying a five pack of small hearts of romaine lately - they are quite compact and their leaves are perfectly boat shaped, great for holding taco fillings. So we had DIY taco boats, with pickled red cabbage, jalapenos, black olives, goat cheese and cilantro for toppings. Very refreshing!

6 Likes