What's for Dinner #17 - 01/2017 - the New Beginnings Edition

and here’s the osso buco. turned out really well - i used SE’s recipe, mostly (dry sherry instead of wine, leeks instead of onion, marjoram instead of oregano). really tasty, super tender. love the gremolata.

parsnip and carrot mash on the side, with a little heavy cream because i had it, butter, and some parm. i could eat this for days.

and roasted fennel with parm grated over the top. delish.

7 Likes

Thx, getting a lot better after 3 days of (bad) sleeping.
Very lovely citrus plate.

Thanks for the recipe, never tried butternut gratin this way.

Haha, but strangely, it was so dark that it didn’t look like chicken!

The osso buco is really lovely!!! No more words!

2 Likes

Tempura cauliflower. This was okay. They were nice and crispy for about 2 minutes and then not so much. Dips were honey mustard, Frank’s hot sauce mixed with some left over ranch, and white sauce from the halal chicken. Caesar salad and wine were sides.

5 Likes

Beautiful fish!

Non industrial smoked mackerel (costs eur.2 more) from the same market fishmonger where I always eat maatjes herrings (and buy skrei or whatever looks good). I call him “expensive fishmonger”, but affectionately, as his stuff is usually of higher quality. Not only that, sometimes I ask him to order some stuff for me and he immediate makes phone calls to find it and order it for me. He knows what’s good, has eaten just about everything in the sea, well travelled and knows his fishy sheee-eeeet! I eat a lot of seafood and am glad to have such a fishmonger.

The partner likes this smoked fish a lot. It’s good to eat mackerel: cheap, plentiful, nutritious, delicious in many ways. I removed a small section for the photos. When I was a child I liked sucking out the marrow if the fish was big enough (tuna was best for this).

After Hungary we struggle to find any Furmint wine at home. Could only find 2 so far, both from Slovenia. Furmint variety is indigenous to Hungary, Tokaj to be precise. Btw, fatty, strongly flavoured fish/seafood also pair well with light(er) red wine.

7 Likes

Serious veggie craving for tonight. I found some good looking broccoli and made this tahini broccoli which is quickly becoming my favorite way to roast any veggies. I use probably just one TB olive oil, and whatever juice from one lemon alogn with the peeled stems chopped. In my crummy oven it takes closer to 20min. The roasted broccoli landed in a bowl of plain greek yogurt and made a tasty meal in about a half hr from starting chopping to eating. Side of hot miso broth to sip. And just a few bites of broccoli leftover… (realistically serves two generous side dish portions)

2 Likes

I discovered a package of hamburger in my fridge tonight that I thought I had put in the freezer - oops! It was use or lose so I made taco meat - browned it and seasoned with chile powder, smoked paprika, cumin, onion, garlic and a bit of salsa that was languishing in the fridge.

Costco has been carrying a five pack of small hearts of romaine lately - they are quite compact and their leaves are perfectly boat shaped, great for holding taco fillings. So we had DIY taco boats, with pickled red cabbage, jalapenos, black olives, goat cheese and cilantro for toppings. Very refreshing!

6 Likes

@aussieshepsx2 thanks for your meal, It reminds me that I’ve still a portion of tempura flour at home. Interesting your brocoli recipe, I will bookmark for the future @Ttrockwood !

My meal last night: duck breast with a potato and celery root gratin cooked in cream, and avocado tomatoes salad. Love the gratin!

10 Likes

Was out driving last night, so my man was in charge of dinner: a perfectly cooked roast beast (sirloin). We had a little TJ’s hollandaise left, so that was a nice addition to the meat.

Another rendition of my endive, blue cheese, tangerine & toasted walnuts salad. The blue cheese was smoked (not bought on purpose), so I didn’t add too much of it.

8 Likes

Whilst waiting for noodle water to boil… mesmerising bubbles.

Dindin from leftovers. Made the brothwith saved prawn shells and heads, plus clam meat that was in the hot pot broth from the weekend.

4 Likes

Your duck breast looks like brisket. How did you prepare it?

1 Like

I just made this broccoli recipe with seared salmon. Both were good but the broccoli was the star

1 Like

A few coworkers went for ramen at lunch today- there were huge flakey of wet snow going sideways and it was damned cold and the stupid ramen shop didn’t have any vegetarian broths!
So when i found this (vegan!) ramen without funky crap ingredients at the store i snatched it up for dinner. I needed a bunch more veggies and added in some sliced mushrooms, shredded carrots, diced small zucchini and a big handful of fresh spinach that wilted along with some cubed smoked tofu.
Made for a very quick warming and very filling dinner. I’ll certainly pick up a few more for next time a ramen craving hits

2 Likes

Simply pan seared in its own fat for about 10 minutes. When slicing the meat, it was medium cooked, perfect! (I tend to undercook duck)

After seeing the beautiful smoked fish of Presunto, I said why not?! Pasta tonight: rigates with some fillets of smoked mackerels marinated with black peppers, avocados, green olives in a red onion tomato sauce, sprinkled with mint.

5 Likes

Hello WFDers…I’ve created the February thread here:

2 Likes

This looks yummy! What kind of spicing was used??

Thanks! I used the basic minced garlic/ginger/onion fried in oil, then seasoned the stir-fry with fish sauce and a squeeze of lime juice at the end. A garnish of cilantro and the green part of a scallion at the end adds even more flavor, if you feel like chopping more stuff. :slight_smile:

Making a pot of cranberry beans , with smoked pork chop , one mild Italian sausage , grated carrot , onion , and fresh bay leaves . I also picked up some duck with rabbit sausages . Those will go along with polenta squares browned in butter , and broccoli rabe . And yes a bottle of wine . Cheers :wine_glass:

@emglow101 - we’ve moved over to the February thread (see upthread for a link).

already did . posted the same thanks