What's for Dinner #14 - 10/2016 - The Autumnal Edition

In Vietnamese Chả Cá Thăng Long, the fish dish, they use a lot of dill in the cooking. We ate twice in this Hanoi restaurant. Fantastic!

In France, they also like to associate dill with lemon and fish…

===========================================

Last night mean is pan fried skirt steak (hampe) and spider steak (Araignée de boeuf), spider one is very tender, quite difficult to find. Plus a grapefruit salade from Ottolenghi, I don’t have red onion, I substituted with shallot, and the leaves with mâches, lamb’s lettuce, basil herbs with basil oil, lemon juice with yuzu juice.

This month’s the French magazine Fou de cuisine has a special highlight on Ottolenghi, this is the second recipe I tried. I saw several of his books are translated in France, looks like he is one of the hot guy for special regime.

1 Like

I couldn’t edit the post even though I have this pop up box to modify, must be the 59 minute 50 second…sorry for the spamming.

The restaurant was Chả Cá La Vong. The version we had more sauce / oil than the version shown in @Presunto 's link.

Recipes just seem to call it west african peanut stew… I’m sure it has a proper name…the version i make is kind of my own based on a vegan one i found long ago. Don’t be shy with the peanut butter (and whisk it in well) and it needs a generous hand with the salt/soy sauce.
Food52 published a version a while back but it doesn’t have enough pb or any tomato paste, and i tweak the proportions and ingredients quite a lot, but that would be a good starting point. I’ve made it many times for omni friends and family and it’s a crowd pleaser

1 Like

Thx for the elaboration. I found the name, it’s called Maafe.

1 Like

I’ve had dill with fish before- typically with lemon and white wine .

I had just never seen dill come up in Vietnamese recipes that I’ve cooked. Albeit my Vietnamese cooking has been limited, I’ve never come across it eating out either but I may have overlooked it in the menu.

I’m interested in trying the combination.

Thanks for the tips!

Pork burgers (ground pork, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, mince onion, and fresh cilantro), topped with a runny egg and some korean bbq sauce. Side was a shredded veggie slaw. This was really good and only took about 20 minutes.

3 Likes

Smoked in an old wok with Sichuan peppercorns, Orange Pekoe tea, and some aromatic wood chips. Finished in the oven. Still nice and pink in the middle. Intensely smokey. There’s fresh rosemary between the breasts.

The other side has no marks left by the wire rack. Next time you’ll see it.

Because autumn.

8 Likes

Couple of good meals this week! Last night was a low-carb American-style “lasagna,” with planks of roasted zucchini instead of noodles, lots of cheese and meaty red sauce. I also made it to H-Mart last weekend and scored some beautiful Chinese broccoli and chives, which I stirfried with chicken, red peppers and peanuts this week to good effect. Tonight will be leftovers, and tomorrow is dinner out with some visiting friends. I’ll be firing up the smoker for the weekend!

4 Likes

Old stand-by: BISO chickie thighs marinated Greek-style (olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, RWV, kosher salt, lemon pepper, oregano, crushed rosemary, onion powder & garlic powder, paprika), which will be roasted in the oven for 45-60 min. @375°, then finished under the broiler to crisp up the skin.

My man is making Armenian green beans on the side. Looking forward to it on a very dreary day here.

5 Likes

Lingua ,Like your old standby marinade. I’ll have to try it . It is sort of simillar to mine .

Leftovers finally done. Whole chickyboobie was seasoned with olive oil, salt and Penzeys’ Sunny Spain mix and roasted in the regular oven.

Baby taters were seasoned with olive oil, salt and ground sumac and roasted in the convection oven.

Beans were steamed and tossed with butter and toasted slivered almonds.

Wine.

5 Likes

I like how LindaW always adds slivered almonds for the extra crunch.

Today: deer steaks with pioppino mushrooms. Though not pictured but there were also roasted potatoes and garlic (fishing up in the oven whilst these photos were being made). I decided not to add the reduced sauce and chervil as there was not enough room on the plate and the sauce would have made a mess.

The plate. Going the minimalist way now, photographically.

5 Likes

Patagonian scallop cakes

5 Likes

A day off today . Went out for eggs benny this morning . Then clam chowder and calamari for lunch . I’ m just chillin with a bottle of pinot . Going to fry some Spam slices and top on this fantastic artisan bread from my friend . This one has Castelvetrano and Kalamata olives in it . Will toast the bread and top all of it with a fried egg . Simple and tasty .

3 Likes

Trying to clean out the fridge last night, simple meal wild salmon oven cooked, with onion salt and black pepper, cucumber salad. Finished the meal with mango sprinkled with espelette pepper.

Going to Bordeaux this weekend of Toussaint

3 Likes

I have to make room in my freezer, so tonight I pulled out some passata and Italian sausage and made a sauce, then cooked up some meatballs I had made using the Mozza recipe, sautéed mustard greens, and oven-toasted bread with compound butter. All from my freezer.

Now I must figure out a use for many baggies of frozen bread crumbs and egg whites.

5 Likes

Last night was out with my SIL, who is in from Los Angeles for a work-related thing. We went to the local pub last night for drink, eats, and lots of chat.

Late start after my SIL left to go visit my Mom before heading down to stay with my sister before she heads home tomorrow. I dashed up to Butcher Boy Marketplace, and I found dinner. In fact, I found dinner for tonight and tomorrow. A drive home in yet another downpour…but at least it’s not that other 4-letter word.

Tonight was pork tenderloin medallions in an apple-apricot-mustard sauce (apple cider, apricot preserves, and whole grain mustard), creamy orzo, and sauteed green beans, carrots, and red bell pepper sprinkled with a mix of Penzeys’ Sunny Spain seasoning and Italian Herbs.

There was wine. Because I didn’t have enough last night. :-o

3 Likes

Went to FM this morning . Picked up sunchokes , ciopollini onions , eggplant . Decided to put them in a baking dish along with bay leaves and sage from the garden . I’m tossing them into my pellet smoker . Cooking @ 275 until finished . Also have one of those small racks of lamb from Costco . Rub with a little Dijon and rosemary . That’s going in the smoker also . Never have cooked a rack . Figure I’ll just crank up the heat to finish . I want it rare and then cut into lollipops .

4 Likes

Or use your smoke to do a reverse sear technique. Smoke at the lowest temp you can then finish on a high heat grill or stove to crust up the exterior without over cooking

1 Like

I’m thinking of doing that . Low temp then pull the rack off . Crank the heat up to high and put the rack back on just to sear it .