What's for Dinner #13 - 9/2016 - Waning Summer Edition

Cool night here so I wanted something hot and creamy- went with my favorite creamy beans from orangette, using coconut oil and black beans, topped with cilantro and avocado. Hit the spot.

2 Likes

RedJim, thank you.

I have lost my voice due to a sore throat (stupid aircon). Don’t want to eat something cool and soft… OK, we shall see.

They are from McCormack Farms in Middletown, NJ. There are some more shots, including the selection at the farm market, in the Jersey Tomatoes thread.

The salad was absolutely delicious.

Rummaging through the fridge while digging into a bag of Lay’s salt and pepper kettle chips. Found leftover bay sacllops and shredded brussels. It’s what’s for dinner.

3 Likes

Ok, so there’s now officially one reason why i would move to jersey :wink:
Somehow unless i deal with the weekend craze of the farmers market (to then pay $$$) or whole foods (again, $$$) those jersey tomatoes aren’t so easy to find…

Nice use of chip crumblies there!

1 Like

$3.49 a lb. mix and match.

4 Likes

Here is the location for McCormack farms, it’s not far from the ferry in Atlantic Highlands:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/McCormack+Farms/@40.4053255,-74.0796608,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c2314a16e0e375:0x8573f827b8771122!8m2!3d40.408528!4d-74.100861

www.mccormackfarms.com

McCormack Farms is located in the New Monmouth section of Middletown, N.J. on land owned and operated by the same family since 1880. Our goal is to produce quality fruits and vegetables, in season. The roadside stand operates under a large green and white striped tent on the farm on Tindall Road.

We open in the Spring as soon as asparagus is available; strawberries soon follow. We then close for a few weeks to plant and cultivate more crops. The stand re-opens toward the end of July and remains open throughout October. McCormack Farms offers a plethora of produce grown on-site and includes: freshly harvested tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, eggplants, peppers, hot peppers, okra, onions, string beans, cantaloupes, watermelons, summer squash, cucumbers, blackberries and raspberries.

We conclude the season in the Autumn, with winter squash, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes.
In an area that was once mostly farmland, we are one of the last commercial farms in Middletown. Members of our family, dedicated to farming and a fealty to the land, have worked to maintain this property as farmland. The land itself remains largely unchanged from colonial times. In 2008, our farm entered the Monmouth County Agricultural Preservation Program, becoming permanently preserved as farmland. Our farm will remain in agricultural production in perpetuity.

We are a local farm supported by a wonderful group of customers who appreciate our freshly harvested produce. Our stand is usually open Monday through Saturday from 1pm to 6pm. We are closed on Sundays. Since the stand is open-air, if the weather is very inclement, we may also be closed. Please call ahead at 732-671-0162. You may also visit us at facebook.com/mccormackfarmsmiddletown. We look forward to seeing you!

1 Like

Ending September here in SE Michigan with torrential rain and cool temps, so I’m making Cabbage Soup with Kielbasa. Just brought home a half dozen crusty hard rolls for dunking, so it should turn into a tasty and bracing dinner.

Needed a quick pasta dish with what was on hand and it turned into the best dinner of the week. While the orecchiette was cooking, I caramelized a leek in olive oil and butter, added one clove of garlic, and a spoonful of some artichoke bruschetta spread I found lurking in the frig and let the mellow together. In a separate pan I browned some diced bacon and then drained it. The pasta was added to the sauce with some of the cooking water, bacon was added, and then a handful of parsley and Parmesan cheese. Warm, creamy, and tangy. We pretended the parsley and artichokes were the salad. Wine on the side.

7 Likes

Here’s our Cabbage Soup dinner. (It did not need the Kielbasa–would have been terrific without).

Tasty.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Just got here yesterday. Saw this from the taxi window. I’m weary of big cities.

My lodging has a kitchen but it’s only good for boiling water!

I like Riesling and I like Gewürztraminer but this is the first with both in one bottle. They even got the spelling right on the label. Tastes more like Riesling to me.

A Canadian dinner. I’ve had the same mussels somewhere else in Canada and in Europe. Still the same: big shell, tiny flesh, not as subtly sweet and does not have that fresh, briny taste of the sea. Note that I live in Europe’s biggest mussel producing country. Our mussels are small (tiny even) but quite fleshy.

Last photos from Ottawa:

If one’s Raison d’être is “live to eat, drink and travel” then I’m a success. Oink oink…

Oink Oink is on board (took a little over 4hrs by train from Ottawa to Toronto)

2 Likes

New October thread started here:

It’s about time…

Thank you.

Anyone can start the new threads, @VikingKaj:slight_smile:

Yes, but it would be childish and immature to peremptorily start a competing thread, just for the sake of starting something.

Although we have seen that from time to time on the Westchester board.

Of course, I would hope that that wouldn’t happen here on WFD. But I didn’t start the new thread until about 8:30 p.m., so anyone else could have started it earlier in the day. That’s all I’m saying.

Nope, it’s cool. We were waiting for you !

LOL! MIL!! Here they prefer using grand mère, belle mère (MIL) I never see once on packaging!

Looks yummy! How is it compared to the one home made?