What's For Dinner #12- 8/2016. Still looks like summer

Well I made it through those last few days and to CA, with the (now expected) bag of bagels fresh from Absolute.
My dinner before picture here:

And after

As some wonderful gazpacho. Not pictured thick slice of proper SF sourdough toasted with avocado and a big glass of wine. Mom and dad across the table, dog underneath, cat on the couch.
Couldn’t ask for more.

7 Likes

I’m drooling … I need to visit my sister ASAP
My food tastes are more suited to the West Coast

1 Like

perfect!

1 Like

NYT chicken that Natascha posted about earlier was WFD last night. Very yummy, garlicky, especially with the VERY garlicky sour cream sauce. I also made David Lebovitz’ version of the frenchy salade de carrotes rapees - i think my carrots were sliced TOO thin - a little ropey, not crunchy enough. next time, the wider-toothed blade on the mandoline. and finally, steamed potatoes with fresh peas, butter, and fresh mint.

tonight was a pork vindaloo that i started on Sat. with the Instant Pot, and doctored up on Sunday (because i found the recipe lacked oomph) by simmering it with habanero and fresh ginger. then tonight i finished it with a bunch of cilantro and a splash of red wine vinegar. really flavorful and the pork was melty tender. alongside that was (also) Lebovitz’ spiced Indian corn (lurrrrve - spicy, sweet, crunchy), and some of the yogurt sauce from last night mixed with chopped cukes. also, leftover biryani rice from a place i’m reviewing.

i also instant potted a small brisket for Wednesday’s dinner (i’m out tomorrow) - not sure yet what sides, but i’m thinking corn again… because, corn.

6 Likes

Why is the reindeer burger bad? I’ve had caribou burgers (the same animal, but typically wild, not domesticated) and they were very tasty?

I suggest Ttrockwood post more photos. You can make them just fine. Jealous of your tomatoes!

Would eat everything MC and her beau make!

Lagatta, I think there was not enough reindeer meat in it. You can use up to an acceptable amount to be able to call it xyz burger. I would make it all xyz meat if I were to make it myself.

2 Likes

The simplest version of Hainanese chicken rice.

Made 2 quick snaps of my “high-end” rig so now you know how the shots are made. (am not happy with the chicken photo above, btw. It was getting dark so fast now that summer is ending but you can still see the quality of a reflex camera vs a point-and-click camera, both are Nikon)

There’s also a silver paper reflector in front of the camera but I removed it so you could see the food.

Yes, you seeing it right it’s a plastic cup. Omni Stofen flash diffuser costs eur.25. What?!!! I snap on a plastic cup and keep my 25 bucks. The diffuser softens the harsh shadows and distributes light more evenly.

5 Likes

fascinating! me and my humble camera phone will be skulking in the shadows…

so is that really just aluminum foil i’m seeing on the cover of a binder? ingenious!

Oooh i love that david lebovitz carrot salad! There definitely is a “trick” to the right size for the shredded carrots, the first time i made it mine were way to thin and it came out soggy. I actually like it best just using the medium/largish holes on my box grater. (And predictably i always knick my knuckles…)

1 Like

Yes, really. Anything white will work, actually. I used to fold a piece of white cardboard and stand it up like the old binder in one of the pics. It will do in a pinch.

Test it yourself next time.

1 Like

Well, no photos from last night, but we ate on the patio with a nice breeze. I love cooking for mom and dad and (even though) it’s vegetarian and they most certainly are not everyone was happy.
Last night was a simple sauteed greens recipe i love that’s just whatever greens (i used baby kale, radicchio and the last half of a random bok choy) with some onion, garlic, olive oil, a gob of dijon and chopped good olives- i take after dad, he always has excessive fancy olives around.

I picked up some of those fat homemade corn tortillas and made little cheese/scallion/cilantro quesadillas for mom and dad, mine had canned veg refried beans instead of cheese. A quick guacamole we scooped up with the quesadillas since every day is Ripe Avocado Day around here :grin: Glass of wine a la carte, a big bowl of strawberries from dad’s friend who grows them (!) with another glass of wine for dessert.

Gratuitous photo of Jaggers (yes he is named after mick jagger) hanging out while i had my coffee this morning

7 Likes

yes, exactly, mushy/ropey! i would definitely do thicker strands but also i think i’d add a touch of djon, as Lebovitz suggests.

that puppy looks like its a toy it’s so cute!

1 Like

will do!

Dry salt brined chicken legs and thighs . Onto the grill , finished with Sweet Baby Rays . FM green beans and potatoes .

1 Like

Officially introducing Scout the newest addition to my sister’s family
He is seriously into food … what’s for dinner was half of the veterinary receptionist’s
sandwich … In his new home a mere 5 minutes here he was found guarding his food bag … complete with teeth puncture marks in it

7 Likes

Jaggers looks like a stuffed animal… so ridiculously adorable
That face says “where’s the beef”

Oh yes, the carrot salad is much more fabulous with a gob of proper dijon! Something about carrots and dijon mustard make magic together…

Haha! Piggy (my parents ’ cat) would have been swatted off the kitchen counter in a hot hurry… But seeing as this one is “new” he gets a pass this time ;))
What a cutie!!

1 Like

He is gorgeous! Siamese cats have so much purrrrrrrrrsonality, too. I’m sure your sister will have her hands full!

1 Like