What's for Dinner #104 - the Almost Green Edition - March 2024

An-Ti-Ci-Pay-Yay-Shun is making me wait…
© Carly Simon

2 Likes

Black pepper, I take it? I had a lovely black pepper cheddar a while ago from Aldi.

1 Like

Fun night out. We started off with a couple libations & bites at the gay bar before catching one of my all-time favorite movies.

I had a Calvados 75 & a Botanist martini, and finally got my hands (and mouf) on those scrumptious duck meatballs.

The salad was fantastic: crisp, kronchy, with a nice lemony vinaigrette. Perhaps a tad bit overdressed, but the sturdy greens stood up to it.

Went back to the bar after the movie, but it was packed to the rafters & I couldn’t deal. Went home and snacked on har gow dipped in a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili crisp, sesame oil. Perfect late night snack :smiling_face:

I also had a few blackberries to use up, so I made a quick sauce with dark rum, a little sugar, and butter to serve with a new discovery: Tillamook’s chocolate hazelnut ice cream. F yeah :star_struck:

20 Likes

21 Likes

Would.

I could have salmon several times a week. He’s not a fan, unfortunately :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Fry-day here today on Saturday as we are coming to a close of one visit and feeding aaaallll the things.

Puris, potato bhaji, shrikhand (sweet yogurt), then batatawadas and potato and onion bhajiyas.

And finishing strong, mom’s roast leg of kid goat with potatoes, and fresh bread and butter. The rest of it will end up as travel sandwiches for the departing sibling.

Mom went “light”… not :joy: She still can’t eat any fried food from outside (we think it’s the oil) but has no issues with homemade, so she loves the rare occasion when we fry the faves. She enjoyed every single bit of fry fest, and still had room for a little dinner of the naan from yesterday, paneer, and tomato salad.

Luckily for me, when I’m the one cooking, I eat a lot less because I get full from the kitchen aromas :sweat_smile:.

24 Likes

Amazon

1 Like

This is what will be part of our dinner tomorrow: Mississippi roast :yum:

(a jar each of med hot peperoncini and hot jalapeños with their brine)

(had to sear the two roasts in stages / meat tetris)

I’m organizing another potluck for my local food group tomorrow, and we have 17 cooks lined up (myself included) - the biggest group yet :scream: I will def have to remind everyone to bring at least a friend, better tho two bc we always have so. much. food! Anywhos. I’d picked up a couple of ridiculously large chuck roasts for this very purpose, and since the whole thing takes a while to cook I wanted to get it out of the way today - tomorrow’s busy with another rehearsal for our taping in a week.

I also like to make it in advance to be able to degrease it a bunch before serving, so letting it sit in the fridge overnight is perfect.

As for WFD tonight, probz tacos with the Peruvian chicken and MOAR of that crack cocaine I mean green sauce :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

20 Likes

Dinner is delicious! Is that grilled eggplant in the second photo?

1 Like

I’ve been roasting it. Split the eggplant in 2, score white flesh it with a criss cross pattern, drizzle white flesh with olive oil, add salt -pepper- oregano if desired, put oiled cut side down in an oven proof dish, bake around 45 minutes at 375 or 400, flip olive-oiled, white flesh- side up, and top with roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, tomato sauce, bechamel and/ or cheese. Then roast another 15 min to half an hour.

It’s a take on a simplified Greek papoutsakia (means little shoes, it’s stuffed eggplant usually topped with meat sauce and bechamel)

I don’t really grill, I mostly roast!

6 Likes

Loaded 'shroom burgers with Point Reyes blue cheese. Pinot Noir and chips to accompany them. Perfect.

24 Likes

I tried the Bombay butter chicken, Bhindi masala and naan from a spot called Mumbaikar in Toronto. (It’s okay) Huge portion (1.5 lbs of butter chicken for $19.99 Cdn). A spicier and saltier style of Butter Chicken. A little heavy on the mustard seed, I think.

I’ll try some other spots next time I have butter chicken cravings.

12 Likes

Oh my. Did you have to unhinge your jaw to eat that? :drooling_face:

1 Like

Nice colors!

1 Like

Linda, what’s green beer?

It’s a potato bun, so it smooshed down ok for consumption :joy:

4 Likes

Unfortunately, some bars color their beer green for St. Patrick’s Day. Just Say No.

7 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Funny how I slept through hammering and drilling all week, but on the first morning without workers in the house I wake up at 5:30AM. WTAF? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Had to remove a newish member from two of my food groups over on the book of faces after he made rude comments about other people’s food pictures, i.e. “looks terrible.” Imagine anyone daring to post something like that here! :scream: :scream: :scream:

Pretty dumb move from someone who wants to sling hot dogs in the area, but folks just don’t seem to know how to be civil anymore I guess :woman_shrugging:t2: I have no patience for that kind of behavior.

Had to grab a few things for our taco dinner (tortillas for example, and more cilantro), then took a 1.5 nap as my pain was especially bad today.

I made a lil guac according to the NYT recipe that seemed to stir up some strong opinions here recently :joy:

'twas a lil heavy on the lime, but thank goodness I like it tart. Fried up half a poblano along with the thigh meat for a lil cronch and a tiny bite. Salad on the side.

Killers of the Flower Moon coming up now.

21 Likes

A Moroccan-ish meatloaf for dinner tonite after spying some Ras El Hanout tucked in a corner of my counter.

Ground beef and pork, 1 whupped egg, Worcestershire sauce, a smidge of heavy cream, s/p, Ras el Hanout (needed more), chopped fresh parsley, and Panko bread crumbs, all smushed together. Baked for 35 minutes at 350° to start. Then decided at the last minute to brush with some pomegranate molasses (could have used more), baked for another 25 minutes, and sprinkled a bit of granulated honey and finished baking for another 10 minutes.

Went full-on American with the sides: sour creamy mashed potatoes (OMG, these were SO GOOD!), and carrots, peas, and corn with butter and dried savory.

There was wine.

And Murphy deciding to use my worn-and-to-be-washed jeans on the floor as a cozy nap place earlier today.

32 Likes