What's for Dinner? #1, the Inaugural Edition- through 10/17/2015

awesome, meatn3, all of it. congrats on the new gig.

that looks/sounds fab. had to google huauzontle - interesting! i don’t think i’ve seen it at any of my local mexi-marts…

Tamarind Shrimp w/ Shirataki noodles (from my continuing obsession w/ Hot Thai Kitchen)

6 Likes

My favorite Peanut Sauce is in Deborah Madison’s book, The Savory Way. What an extraordinarily savory dish this makes. I’ve made it hot, cold , and with Asian noodles and Italian pasta. I love every last morsel and so does everyone who has eaten it:

Cold Noodles with Peanut Sauce, Deborah Madison “The Savory Way” (paraphrased):
salt
1 pound Chinese egg noodles or linguine
2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil or dark sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
6 scallions, thinly sliced
1 half-pound package firm tofu, cut into small cubes
Peanut Sauce
chopped roasted peanuts or toasted black sesame seeds
fresh cilantro for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to boil for noodles. When water boils, add salt to taste & the noodles. Cook til noodles are done, 3-5 min. Immediately drain into a colander, rinse with cold water to stop cooking, shake off excess water. To have warm noodles, shake off excess water Don’t rinse.

Toss noodles with oil , cilantro, scallions, and tofu. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use; then toss with Peanut Sauce. Garnish with roasted peanuts or sesame seeds and fresh cilantro sprigs.

PEANUT SAUCE:
6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large bunch of cilantro, leaves and upper stems only, finely chopped
1 piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot chili oil
1/2 cup peanut butter or sesame-peanut butter
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
2-3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, to taste

Mix garlic, cilantro, ginger in a bowl with the oils, peanut butter, soy sauce, and sugar til well combined (Or use food processor, which I do). Add the vinegar and season to taste with additional soy sauce if nec. The sauce can be thinned with hot water if it comes out thicker than you like. This sauce can be kept for months if stored in an airtight jar and refrigerated. If refrigerated thin it with hot water as needed before using.

Note:

• If youhave stored extra sauce it can be spread on grilled tofu, with grilled eggplant, or as a dipping sauce for tofu, or fresh cucumber and/or carrots, or other like vegetables.
2 Likes

Thanks and looks good. I don’t cook by recipes much but this sauce has a lot of the same ingredients I use.

1 Like

Hi all, What’s for Dinner 2nd Edition is here:

Thanks!

New flat so last night was a trip to Ikea to pick up some bits. I hate going to Ikea but if did mean I could have meatballs, mash gravy and of course lingonberry jam for dinner, so not all bad.

Tonight is beef shin stew, with parsnips, red wine and rosemary. Mash potato and sweetheart cabbage along with it. For afters syrup sponge pudding and custard made wth Birds custard powder. You truly feel you’ve settled in when you have Birds custard in the cupboard.

1 Like

We’ve moved on to the next thread, FYI. See the post above.

Greens, schmeens. Don’t ALWAYS need green stuff on the plate. And since you had veg already with the squash, you were good! And congrats on the new P/T job - sounds like it’ll be a fun one, albeit busy during the holiday season.

And a question - did your jeweler friend have this new kitchen built to her specs in her home, or was it a new move-into? Curious as to why she hates it.

But I’m “meatn3” so a green is part of the package!

She recently bought a home built in the 60’s. She has plans to
remodel the kitchen but has to wait for the old house to sell. The
kitchen in the old house was perfectly suited for her.

This kitchen is dated but large and workable. It has a number of
features which were high end at the time .She’s the sort of person who
would go insane working in a cubicle and needs bright space with long
vistas. This kitchen is all walls and not open to the views or the rest
of the house. Since she has such a strong vision of what she wants the
current reality just frustrates her greatly. She is not a person who can
patiently wait - she arrives at a plan (usually a really good plan)
quickly and moves fast. There is getting to be a substantial secret pool
with sizable bets on how long it takes before she caves and starts the
remodel!

I’ve suggested just cutting away a portion of the wall over the sink
since it will be removed eventually. That would let her see the lake and
the living room. It would be a good stop gap measure but she’s in all
or nothing mode. I did bring over a sledge hammer. I caught her eyeing
it speculatively…

2 Likes

Off topic but Ikea has great kitchen design software. Just sayin’

I actually mentioned your positive experiences with Ikea to her a few months ago!

rib eye tonight, for me. i’m at my sister’s, dog-sitting, so i made myself a steak after i saw a Gordon Ramsey video. seasoned with s&;, seared in hot, hot, hot olive oil, whole garlic tossed in, rosemary, then a bunch of butter to baste. rare-to-medium-rare, buttery, juicy, beefy… really good. no sides. wished i’d had a nice hearty red but i have to drive home, take the BF the other half (it was a pretty big steak.)

cocktails up later.

happy Saturday night!

6 Likes

Ahhhhh, OK - NOW it makes sense!

Last night we each had a big bowl of Tuscan sausage, bean and pasta soup, served with a crusty loaf of bread from the Bakers at Red Lion – two women who live nearby who bake bread a few days a week. When there’s bread available, a French flag hangs outside the door of their self-serve bakery space in the basement of their home. When the bread is gone, the door is locked and the flag comes down.

3 Likes

Looks great, CindyJ! Maybe repost on the new thread here:

1 Like

I just saw that new thread. How do I re-post?

Probably copy/paste into the new thread is the easiest way.

I’ve been craving steak - think I’ll try this!