What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

that’s an apt description. Who was cooler and had a better gig than him?

2 Likes

I don’t really know what to say or think. My uncle and I cook and experiment with all types of locally caught (by us) and sourced seafood. We would watch his shows while cooking and everytime without fail, one of us would say “does this guy have the best job in the world or what?” I’m really bummed out.

3 Likes

Like everyone else, I was stunned at the news.

Shortly after Les Halles opened (on Park Ave. S., a short walk from our apt.), we took a visiting French friend of our daughter to dinner there. While the food was very good, seating was uncomfortably cramped, and people were smoking (Ugh!) as this was prior to the ban in restaurants. Mr. RBI and I went back a couple of times and had really good meals but then stopped going there because I couldn’t take the seating and smoking conditions. We had no idea that Bourdain was the chef until Kitchen Confidential (which I read) came out.

I rarely watched his tv shows. I just happened to see the Beirut episode and did purposely watch the episode about bbq which took place in Kansas City because a friend of ours who lives in KC was with him at one of the restaurants.

2 Likes

We just bought a waffle maker. Mrs. P made panko crusted fried soft shell crabs over cheddar bacon cornbread waffles with corn & jalapeno from our jalapeno plant :yum: This was inspired by a brunch we had over the past weekend that had this brilliant take on chicken & waffles (except the waffles were slightly different).

7 Likes

Soft shell crabs in a waffle maker?!?! Impressive!! (Kidding) Looks Delicious!

1 Like

It was. Thanks Junior. The soft shell crabs were fried in a T-fal fryer. It was a take on chicken & waffles & was inspired by a brunch we had last weekend at a friends home.

Looking tasty! Did drew have his chicken and waffle dish on the menu the other night? I haven’t been in a while. I’m cutting down on some pounds lol. No to be serious, I just haven’t been and need to get back soon.

1 Like

Thanks cj. It was savory & sweet.
Unfortunately Drew has switched to chicken & biscuits. I miss his waffles. He did have a great special of crispy Southern fried chicken skins with jalapeno coleslaw & an excellent Carolina mustard BBQ sauce.

I did indeed see the chicken skin pic. I love chicken skin nice and crispy, whether roasted or fried. I’m sure drews got it right too.

It always irks me when I see people taking off the skin on a chicken wing lol

2 Likes

Yes, these were pretty big & thick skins (from his big chickens :slightly_smiling_face:), but he still got them nice & crispy. That Carolina style BBQ mustard went great with it.

I can only imagine how good those skins were! I wish he did some fresh chicharron. He may have, but I haven’t seen it.

So is anyone doing any grilling today?

1 Like

So, much like every time I go to H-Mart, I marveled at a million things I wanted to buy and ended up only with a few bundles of Bok Choy (a whopping 46 cents!). So I cooked that up tonight to have with some leftover curry a coworker made for me.

h1

Couldn’t help but take a few pictures. Those shrimp were $23.99 a pound and were as big as my arm.

h

h2
Always get a kick out of the Kimchi section.

h3

h4

What an afternoon. Grabbed lunch at the Edison Noodle Shop (review coming) which was decent enough, then H-Mart, and of course a stop at Paris Baguette. Not bad, right?

5 Likes

I’ve really got to take a trip to this place. Be careful though I’m pretty sure I saw a movie in the 70’s where those purple things became pod people!!! STAY AWAY !!!

2 Likes

:astonished: I’ve never seen a kimchi section like that, not even in California.
I miss Hmart.

2 Likes

Mrs. P made a smoky Andouille sausage pizza with peppers, mushrooms, olives, red onions, mozzarella, fresh basil from our plant, and fresh shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese. This was also our first time eating al fresco on the deck.

The Andouille sausage was from Sam’s Butcher Shop in Moscow, PA, & it is fantastic. If you who love smoked meats and BBQ, I highly recommend Sam’s Butcher Shop. Sam is a small-batch, artisan meat processor. He makes his products in a very authentic and traditional way, using charcoal and cherry wood in an old fashioned smokehouse, where the products are slow cooked. This process gives the meats a rich, smoky flavor (and smell). He requires a week’s notice, but ships overnight Fed Ex. Everything is perfectly wrapped & shipped with plenty of ice. The smoky smell when you open the package is intoxicating. Besides his smoky & spicy Andouille sausage, Sam also makes melt in your mouth boneless country ribs, various types of bacon, including buckboard, & smoked kielbasa , and smoked salmon among other items. He has a 10 pound bundle special of any bacon, sausage, country ribs, and smoked cheese for $75.00 (which comes out to $7.50 a pound). Tell him Eli sent you :wink:
Sam’s Butcher Shop
Pizza pre-cheese

pizza out of the oven

outdoor table setting
7B1CB6BD-48C3-4F67-B778-EF4E7C38E036
pizza sliced

5 Likes

Is he better than Benton’s? That’s a hell of a deal.

Wow that is quite a pizza! A lot of flavors going on there…looks great.

So I was on this website and it looks awesome. Can you pick your meats or do they have a special “package” that they send to everyone? Now reading back on it you said “any” so I believe you can get different meats. This seems too good to be true. I could probably do one of those a week.

I will have to call them. I wonder how much ground shipping is to nj. No planes fly from there to central nj lol (unless you want a puddle hopper to allaire)

Thanks cj. Yes, it was nice & spicy. To top it off we added Cajun Chef green hot sauce. You can choose any 10 pound combination of bacon, sausage, country ribs, and smoked cheese (the smoked cooper cheese is awesome). You can also order other items ala carte. The shipping goes by weight (10 lbs or less = $20, 11-20 lbs = $25, 21-30 lbs = $30, 31-40 lbs = $35, over 40 lbs = $45). I highly recommend the andouille sausage, boneless country ribs that melt in your mouth, and smoked salmon. Sam is very nice. If you email him he usually gets back to you pretty quickly. I think he is closed on the weekends so you might not hear back from him until Monday. Just tell him Eli sent you. He might give you a break.

Couple Costco steaks.

4 Likes

Sounds great. Do you think I should order or just say “my buddy Eli told me you have some great meat and speaks highly of your shop… please send me your recommended sampler”

I pretty much eat anything so I’m not too picky