What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Mrs. P made a very refreshing boneless quail breast salad with grilled pineapple, honey dew, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, cantaloupe, arugula, sharp cheddar cheese, with a teriyaki marinade :yum:

4 Likes

does anyone else feel like next ho-down should be at casa Eli at this point?

5 Likes

Thanks Mr. Met, but there are a lot of great cooks on this thread.

I know this doesn’t belong here, but I didn’t know where to put it. Mrs. P was too sick to cook, or to go out to eat, so we decided to use Uber Eats tonight, for the first time, and order gourmet takeout from an excellent tiny little restaurant in Montclair called Le Salbuen. We are so happy that they partnered with Uber Eats so we can enjoy their excellent food at home, instead of their cute, but cramped little restaurant where people keep banging their chairs into you every time they get up. I was very impressed with the Uber Eats experience. Montclair is about 20 minutes away from us with no traffic, and the whole process from ordering through the app to delivery took 38 minutes during rush hour (2 minutes under the original estimated time). The food was still warm when it arrived. You can follow the whole process on the app (even tracking a little car delivering your food on the map). I can’t wait until Uber Eats partners with more of my favorite local restaurants.
We started off with very flavorful homemade Portuguese Chorizo sausage with sauteed red onions and a miniature baguette.

We also had magnificent Hudson Valley duck tacos with purple kimchi & cilantro lime emulsion.

For entrees I had the outstanding mushroom medley with shallots, truffles, capers, chianti, and baba ganoush, over thin zucchini noodles. I could take a bath in that sauce :yum: We used the tiny baguette to soak up the remaining sauce.

Mrs. P had delicious Asian crusted sweet potato, with sesame stir fried veggies, farro, seaweed, and avocado.

A beautiful husband and wife team own this restaurant. The wife is a carnivore, & the husband is a vegan. The menu is split with carnivore and vegan replicas of each dish.

I tried to make the best of the pictures since the food was in plastic containers and not the fancy plates you would get at a restaurant.

6 Likes

2018-07-03%2016_56_48-Eating%20New%20Jersey%20(%40gcaggiano91)%20%E2%80%A2%20Instagram%20photos%20and%20videos%20-%20Opera

Artichoke Francaise from last night. Made these as an appetizer.

3 Likes

Those look incredible! Mind sharing the recipe here or on the How Do You Artichoke thread?

1 Like

Sure, well, I have to type this from memory because I didn’t use a recipe.

What you’ll need for the serving above: 1 can of quartered artichoke hearts, the juice of one large lemon, flour, salt, pepper, butter, and olive oil.

1. Coat the artichoke pieces in flour after it has been liberally seasoned with salt and black pepper.
  2. Heat a skillet (I prefer cast iron) with olive oil and two tablespoons of butter.
  3. Skillet must be hot enough to hear a sizzle when placing your first artichoke in. The last thing you want is for them to get soggy. Shake the pieces to remove excess flour. Once skillet is hot, cook the pieces until they are browned, then turn them over.
  4. At this point I generally drizzle a little more oil and maybe a dollop of butter just to add some more liquid.
  5. Once the other side has been browned, I remove the skillet from the heat and add the juice of one large lemon.
  6. Give it a shake back and forth to prevent sticking. Dish is ready once the lemon juice is pretty much dissolved.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes. It’s very easy.

I hope this works. I am horrible at typing recipes for dishes I created. :smiley:

Feel free to share on the other board if you would like. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Anyone grilling anything good today? We just have a small gathering (3 people lol). The plan is some grilled chicken (which we got pre-marinated from H-mart), burgers, homemade potato chips, and bruschetta. Very late shopper. Went to get the burgers today and they didn’t have much, so I bought a pack of chopped meat and made my own.

I hate the heat, so this will be an indoor BBQ. Got a solid grill pan and some cast iron to do the trick.

I just did some burgers, hot dogs and chicken legs and thighs for lunch.
Going to a BBQ down the block tonight before the fireworks.

I grilled outside and was greeted with a nice blast of heat everytime i lifted the lid

I’m greeted with a not so nice blast of heat when I open the sliding door to get out to the grill.

2 Likes

Some shots from today. The first is a Bhel Puri I whipped up. Took leftover Basmati rice and some crunchy Indian snacks from an Indian-themed event at my job last week and mixed in some homemade onion chutney. Served cold. Then I did some Korean marinated chicken from H-Mart. All told we had those two things, bruschetta, homemade potato chips, cheeseburgers, and an arugula salad with extra virgin olive oil and pear balsamic. An odd spread but it worked!

(Don’t mind the snowman paper plates! It was all we had!)

bbq1

bbq2

bbq3

3 Likes

I did 8 racks of ribs for a barbecue we were invited to, shoulda took a picture - they were pretty good.

2 Likes

On July 4th, there was a bit of a respite in our backyard from the brutal heatwave, so Mr. RBI and I were able to have our bbq lunch on the patio.

At Home:  July 4th BBQ Lunch (2018)

My blog post about this meal, including all the photos, is here.

My Blog
My Flickr

2 Likes

I love Dr. Brown’s cream soda

2 Likes

Mrs. P was still not feeling well, so we did another ubereats takeout at Zeugma Grill in Montclair. This was outstanding and bursting with flavor. I highly recommend this Turkish/Mediterranean restaurant. We ordered two amazing appetizers; pumpkin muhammara with sweet pumpkin purée, garlic, walnuts, & feta cheese. We also ordered avogannush, with smoked eggplant, puréed avocado, and parsley oil. The appetizers came with some nice pita bread, which we toasted, to dip in the appetizers. For entree’s Mrs. P had grilled sea bass with grilled root vegetable sauté, and olive tapenade. I had Manti, which is Turkish dumplings stuffed with shiitake mushrooms, in a special yogurt sauce.

4 Likes

Pumpkin Muhammara… yum.

1 Like

Last night made pasta in a pink sauce with grilled chicken, asparagus, mushrooms, and prosciutto.

2018-07-20%2011_21_41-Eating%20New%20Jersey%20(%40gcaggiano91)%20%E2%80%A2%20Instagram%20photos%20and%20videos%20-%20Opera

3 Likes

Friday night is turning into takeout night. We had excellent takeout at Vital dining in Montclair, a Caribbean restaurant. Everything was bursting with flavor. We ate here a few years ago. The food was excellent, but the service was exruciatingly slow, so we never returned. Takeout is the way to go with this restaurant.
We started off with a very creamy hummus, made out of black eyed peas, instead of chick peas, and crispy plantain chips, instead of pita bread.

We also had a very refreshing stuffed avocado with almond stuffing, arugula, pico de gallo, and a very nice vinaigrette
We also shared an excellent peppery jerk portabella mushroom with beets, green beans, and quinoa

I had braised oxtail with sautéed kale, rice, butter beans, and gravy.

Mrs. P had escovitched (fried) whole snapper.

5 Likes

It was a slow day today and we had really tough conditions with the wind cranking out of the north east. We managed 22 males…

7 Likes

Locally caught seared sea scallops:

Btw, I put a teeny pat of butter under each one before I plated the hot scallop, so that is melted butter on the plate.

I also had a real rarity, a warm from the oven chocolate chip cookie from Flaky Tart:

5 Likes