What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Looks delicious. Love your plate!!

1 Like

Yes, it was delicious. A Pierre Franey recipe. First time I made it.

The plate is from a dinnerware set we bought in Limoges, France, in 1999 and had shipped home. Amazingly, everything arrived in perfect condition.

4 Likes

A day late since the wife wasn’t feeling so well on Mother’s Day but bourbon/brown sugar skirt steak courtesy of Monmouth Meats. Always a winner

16 Likes

That looks great! Hope your wife is feeling better.

1 Like

I can feel some of you judging me. Seal, it’s 10 am, why are you making some kind of bizarre Thai food at this hour of the morning? Stop judging me and gaze upon the Pad Thai magnificence that is, well, actually not much to look at:

Two of the stars of Pad Thai are present and unchanged - I crushed up roasted peanuts for the topping and scrambled one large egg. Playing the part of my usual chicken is a leftover piece of roasted pork tenderloin, cubed and crisped. The big swap was to get rid of those rice sticks. Batting clean-up is Banza cavatappi.

The big surprise is that I’m really enjoying it. Sure, as Guy says, my pad thai sauce would be good on a flip flop, but this is excellent pad thai and I can eat this whole thing :wink:

10 Likes

I recently found this on one of my favorite grocery and meat delivery sites.

A lot of Googling later I discovered that rose meat from a cow is what they use to make Suadero. I decided to go that route in cooking and marinated the long thin piece of pork overnight in mexican spices, chilis, and beer. Today I braised the meat in the marinating liquid. After it was cooked, I let it cool, chopped it up and fried the cubes in their own fat. This is the result.

Tacos anyone? :yum:

11 Likes

For those who (like me) had never heard the term Suadero before, here’s the Wiki entry:

Suadero, in Mexican cuisine, is a thin cut of meat from the intermediate part of the cow or pork between the belly and the leg.[1] Suadero is noted for having a smooth texture rather than a muscle grain. Typically, suadero is confited or fried and used as a taco filling.

Suadero, also known as matambre in Argentina and sobrebarriga in Colombia, is the name of a very thin cut of beef in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, taken from between the skin and the ribs,[1] a sort of flank steak. In Mexico City, México; it is very common and popular, offered mainly on street taco stands; but also eaten in sandwiches (tortas) and in a sort of round thick hollow fritters, made of corn dough; served hot, flat and filled with various meats, garnishes and sauces; called gorditas.

See also: and ex-bf used to lovingly call me gordita, so I do recognize that term. :rofl:

5 Likes

There’s a taco place on Route 88 in Brick, Tacos los Compas, that has Tacos de Suadero. They also have Tacos al Pastor on the spit. We should do lunch. Of course you’re invited @seal, and anyone else around!

2 Likes

Picked up a Brisket and decided to halve it and cook two ways. Braised the thicker piece with some veggies, came out pretty tasty. Added some broccoli and Stove Top. Never had Stove Top Stuffing until recently and it’s not terrible. Going to dress up a box with celery and onions next time.
Also smoked the flatter piece but took a long time and didn’t get to stay until it was finished. Going to pick up after work and hoping for some nice sandwiches later. Also Hot Dog appetizer with provolone, jalapeños and mayo…mmmmm.

11 Likes

Stove Top is definitely not terrible! That’s a childhood taste memory for me… :blush:

2 Likes

I’m also a Stove Top fan! I always use chicken stock, and add a liiiiiitle more butter than the recipe states. And always, some Ocean Spray cranberry sauce on the side!

3 Likes

I used stove top for the first time in my adult life a few weeks ago, I decided to make “diner” style open face turkey sandwiches. Stove Top worked fine!!! ( I did chuckle a bit as I prepared it )

3 Likes

PERFECT for that application!!!

1 Like

Seems I am a joker and a midnight toker but a smoker I am not. I blame it on not having enough time to properly supervise the smoke, and my inexperience. Will re-purpose for empanadas or chili and try again in the future.

3 Likes

I’m in!

Mixed grill with Flat Iron steak, Iberico Presa, Marinated Shrimp, Mexican Squash, Long Hot with Corn and Papa Huancaina. Ready for lounge chair.

11 Likes

Heading to the beach armed with Shrimp Ceviche and my friend Jose Cuervo. Hopefully they’ve stopped charging. GF did not use the ginger in the photo.

11 Likes

Some Sausage, Garlic, Peppers, Onions. Also very tasty Peruvian Chicken dish with a carrot and tomato puree sauce. Both were great with egg noodles and pasta.
Assigned some aged steaks to try. My first experience with aged steaks. Was happy someone advised me to open them outside. Smell went away rather quickly and was like blue cheese as described. Faint flavor while eating. A tad overcooked so no photos but was great with salsas/criollas. Preferred the flavor of the Wild Boar sausage to the Venison.

8 Likes

If you’re interested in meat aging (Including the process), you (and all HOs) should follow my friend Eric Eisenbud’s YouTube channel and check him out on Facebook. He’s The Grateful Chef and he not only does his own aging at home, he’s been making excellent charcuterie over the last couple of years as well. I was at his house yesterday for an insane eating fest.

4 Likes