What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Happy Birthday!! (60 is the new 40!)

1 Like

Thank you very much, MsBean!

“Happy Birthday!! (60 is the new 40!)”

Thanks Junior! I may look 40 but I feel 70 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Burgers tonight … I’m still overcooking everything I grill outside
I finished this burger inside, but it was already past the point of no return as it came off the grill

3 Likes

I made this little guy last night (was at Delicious Orchards yesterday their steak selection kinda stinks) bone in rib eye, finished in an “angry” sauce with a stuffed Italian long hot peppers. Back in the day there was a place called The Manhattan Steak House, they used to have this on special it was called their Hells Kitchen steak, yummy some tasty memories right there!!

Happy and SAFE Memorial Day weekend peeps! If anyone is looking for me I’ll be at the beach, hope kids don’t try to push me back in the water this year.

8 Likes

51QQIn4mmPL

Hey, I thought the beach was closed this year? Now I’m confused…

e60

Went down and fished with my buddy out of Brielle for probably the tastiest fish in our local inshore waters, black seabass. First attempt at the whole fried fish, Thai style. Extra “style” for me as I replaced some ingredients with what was on hand, prosecco for shiaoxing cooking wine, for example, lol. All in all it came out better than expected. Even Mrs. T’s plate was clean, and she is usually a little squeamish with bone in chicken, never mind whole fish. .

10 Likes

Looking good Tom! I like fried ling. I wonder how a whole one would come out.

Can’t imagine it would be anything but tasty. Plus, no scaling required.

Just de-sliming :smiley:

Wow. That looks beautiful! Now that’s what I call Farm to Table (or sea to table) :wink:

1 Like

Remember when whiting were around? Those are fun to smoke

1 Like

Huevos with smothered burritos:

2 Likes

Mrs. P made boneless Spanish quail breasts from Urgasa. She brined it overnight and then pan fried it in olive oil, with some salt & pepper. We had air fried mini peppers and shishito peppers on the side. These boneless quail breasts are great. You get the meatiest part of the quail without worrying about the bones.

4 Likes

Mrs. P made a deconstructed fish taco with Cajun spiced blackened tilapia, homemade guacamole, arugula, sautéed red onions, tomatoes, jalapeño cream cheese with chipotle powder added, & blue corn tortilla chips :yum:

4 Likes

Did you get those quail at a store or by mail? Looks good!

Thanks cj. I actually got them from a secret Chef source, who gets them wholesale from a distributor in Atlantic Highlands, NJ that only sells wholesale to restaurants (http://www.nafood.com/). I don’t think you can get these retail. It’s too bad. This distributor gets all kinds of game birds, game meats, anything & everything from around the world. They come 10 in a pack. The Chef was very kind enough to sell me a couple of 10 packs, from his large restaurant order, at a ridiculously reasonable price. I gave him a nice bottle of Red Zinfandel in appreciation.

1 Like

Dartagnan has a nice selection including semi-boneless, French jumbo, and quail eggs.

Quail
The next best thing to wild, our quail are raised free-range in spacious, open barns. Our scrupulous farmers create humane conditions for the birds, and never use chemicals or antibiotics. We are proud to offer this very popular game bird, small in size but big in flavor.

If you don’t want delivered you can pick them up at the plant in Union.

Yes, I bought the French and semi-boneless quail from D’artagnan when they had their 30% off freezer sale last month. They were very good. These are completely boneless breasts, and they are from Spain. For what I paid for 2 semi boneless quails at D’artagnan, I was able to get 20 boneless breasts from my Chef source.
Urgasa Quail

1 Like

Yes I saw the address on the package and I live close by. I called them before I wrote to you and the lady, who I believe was on the west coast, told me the Atlantic highlands address was simply a business address and not a warehouse. She told me I could order online. I need to investigate.

Well, the North American Meats site is mainly for wholesale. If you are a home cook they redirect you to their subsidiary site called Marx foods. However, it seems like you have to buy in large quantities. For example, the boneless quail breasts that I bought can only be purchased in 120 piece quantities (or 12 packs of 10) minimum.

Marx Foods