Whatever-of-the-month Nomination (Jan-Feb 2016)

Errrmmm. Having never participated in a Something of the Month, what is this thread about, please?

I’m see that folk are nominating their various somethings.

Do I deduce that, in due course, one of the somethings will be picked and we’ll then cook the dish/cookbook/ingredient/cuisine/ whatever?

Yours

Sherlock Harters

Its similar to DOTM/ COTM in Chowhound. But we haven’t quite reached a consensus whether people are interested in DOTM, COTM, or Cuisine of the month, or, seasonal ingredient of the month. so basically just letting the democratic process sort it out.

Is that kinda HUGE? :smile:

DUMPLINGS please

We have vast interests! Also there is a certain Peking duck I would like to do too…

ALMOND PRESSED DUCK - Wor Shiu Op recipe

1 Like

DUMPLINGS

It’s an easy thing to start with - lots of regional variations on the theme are possible.

2 Likes

STIR-FRY, so many possibilities, hopefully many useful suggestions.

I’ll say STIR-FRY also as I’ve never done much of it and this would inspire me.

I would vote for STIR FRY also . I need help on this . Mine just ends up tasting like greasy chalk .

1 Like

I was going to ask if pierogi count as dumplings. I intend to try some this month.

I would say yes . Unleavened dough wrapped around a savory or sweet filling and cooked in boiling water .

ALMOND PRESSED DUCK!!! Thanks cynsa :slight_smile:

Totally agree. Dumplings have a depth and breadth.

I’ll play. Never made DUMPLINGS so this would be a good kick in the pants.

Dessert of the month: EGG CUSTARD TARTS, sounds simple, but they are so good if they are well done!

Egg tart from Hong Kong (using lard than butter for the light puff pastry)

Pastel de Nata from Portuguese

I’m sure from every cuisine, there is a version…

FOOD IN WRAPPERS!
ANY ETHNIC VERSION ;DUMPLINGS, PEROGIES, EMPANADAS
What do you make or enjoy?

From wiki: “Dumplings are a food that consists of small pieces of dough either wrapped around a filling (as in ravioli or wontons) or incorporating other ingredients (as in gnocchi). The dough can be based on bread, flour, or potatoes, and may be filled with fish, meat, sweets, or vegetables. They may be cooked by boiling, frying, simmering, or steaming. Dumplings may be savoury or sweet and can be eaten by themselves, with gravy or sauce, or in soups or stews.”

So I think dumplings would cover that.

Totally agree, thinking my description might be more generic… if that what we are looking for…

Nominations are now closed. Vote here: