What would you do with 4 pounds ground lamb with a use by date 2 days away?

Or maybe it was a sell-by date. Anyway, I was looking for a deal at my local Albertson’s, as there is usually something I am happy to experiment with. And sure enough!

Also got some boneless skinless chicken thighs, but that’s for another post.

I LOVE lamb burgers, lamb sausage, lamb meatballs, but could easily go down a rabbit hole, and let it spoil before I finish my research.

Any favorites?

My husband will go along with a little lamb, but he is going out of town soon, and it will be just me, so it would be great if it’s something that freezes well.

1 Like

You could freeze it as is since it’s already portioned.

Ideas:
Shepherds / cottage pie
Kheema (with potatoes or peas)
Spicy (northern?) chinese lamb dumplings
Turkish kofte or lahmacun

10 Likes

Stuffed cabbage. Once cooked the rolls and sauce freeze beautifully.

4 Likes

Kofte is probably one I had in mind!

I haven’t had stuffed cabbage in years! I’ll give that some thought.

Lahmacun sounds perfect! Just met my son’s Turkish gf, and she was on point about zeytinagli.

1 Like

Chili?

1 Like

Cevapcici

3 Likes

Looking it up. Thanks!

Ahhh! Chili usually gets eaten here, but I’ve never done it with lamb.

Wonder if it might include beans, or any lamb specific seasonings, vs the usual beef chili stuff.

Meatloaf. You could spice it every which way. Freezes well, makes delicious sandwiches.

4 Likes

Straight lamb? Hmmmm… Has anyone tried freezing meatloaf in slices? That could work. The hubs loves meatloaf, but I think it would more likely get eaten if it was portioned.

Last time I made lamb meatloaf this way:

I didnt make the sauce or the side posted on the link but the meatloaf recipe was delicious.

2 Likes

I portion all meatloaf, lamb included. i do double wrap. Indiv, then in one big bag and use as I like.

1 Like

Super helpful link! Thanks!

1 Like

Moussaka or pastitsione. Or, you could just make the lamb tomato sauce and freeze THAT, making the pasta entrees in the future. I just wing both of these dishes. The sauce is heavier on the garlic, and has no cheese, but otherwise is the same onion/crushed tomato/tomato paste/basil/meat concoction as spaghetti sauce, subbing lamb for ground chuck…

4 Likes

I do. I wrap enough for a sandwich in waxed paper. All the packets are put in a resealable vacuum bag and removed as needed. Defrost at room temp, microwave or overnight in fridge. I make meatloaf just for sandwiches!

2 Likes

I’ve never made lamb chili either. This is why I was thinking it could be a cool idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rascal!

Kefta, middle east meatball.

@greygarious Like moussaka too!

1 Like

I have loved pastitsio, but now prefer to make sauce without “pasta” , at least as a major ingredient. Is pastitsione similar? I also like to make the sauce, so folks can add pasta as they see fit.

I like kebabs. Season and form before freezing. If you season and form the balls then cook them before freezing it’s a lot less work later on. Vary your seasoning (Turkish, Moroccan, Persian, Tunisian etc)

4 Likes