What we eat at the beach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/interactive/2021/beach-foods-snacks/?itid=sf_food

I’ve no idea why the Washington Post decided to do this piece in Santa Monica, but it’s an intriguing read.

Comment section needs the HO admins to clean it up. :grin:

4 Likes

I believe all fires even contained for cooking and alcohol are prohibited. Back in the day
Grilled chicken, plenty of beer . And surf

3 Likes

Mostly sand.

Give me a nice deep blue lake any day!

3 Likes

The Korean-Chinese family cracked me up. It’s SO Korean mom-like to pack all the weird Korean snacks when all the kids want is what the other kids are eating (even if the Korean snacks taste better).

3 Likes

Neat.

In Canada, I associate hot dogs, burgers and soft serve ice cream with the beach. Also fudge.

Salt water taffy in the States.

In Italy, fritto misto in a basket on a patio near the beach.
In Greece, frappedes, fried calamari, and toasts (which are grilled cheese sandwiches, not toast)

3 Likes

In Santa Monica I would have been eating a corn dog for the original hot dog on a stick with lemonaid and freshly made potato chips from the pier. If my Mom was with me we would be at OC beaches where we usually had watermelon and sandwiches of some type.

Someone in the article had brie. That sounds like a bad idea.

3 Likes

In Spain, especially in Cádiz, Andalusia: Boquerones fritos (fried anchovies), Calamari, Chipirones (baby calamar), & a “Frittura” - all of these celaphoids and fish lightly fried in a light batter of chickpea flour.

Heaven on earth … Similar to Italy and Greece - we are all Mediterraneans …

6 Likes

Yes, very similar! I was lucky to spend 3 weeks in Andalucia one summer, but I only had one night at the beach, in Marbella.
Beautiful country, with beautiful beaches!
I love the shellfish in Spain.

5 Likes

If you love shellfish, Galicia & Pais Vasco are the regions to go …

If you like fritturas - Cádiz.

Of course both Madrid and Barcelona have A to Z bars and restaurants and there are 21 Michelin Restaurants in Madrid Capital.

The coast of Empordà, Girona is also a wonderment for seafood lovers especially around the Aiguablava Hotel Parador.

4 Likes

I spent about 10 days in northern Spain, including parts of Galicia, in 2009. We took the El Transcantabrico train from Santiago de la Compostela to Leon (visiting Santander, Bilbao, etc). Delicious food.

Time flies!

I generally prefer more rustic meals to Michelin 2 star restaurants these days. I know some Chowhounds who spend thousands of dollars visiting Michelin starred restaurants in Spain, France and Denmark . My most expensive lunch in Rome 4 years ago was around 50 Euros. That’s about how much I spend on myself anywhere, for a special meal, at home or when I travel.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing …

Santiago de Compostela, Bilbao, León and Santander
all amazing gastronomically in their own way.

Rome: We have friends in Roma, so we are able to avoid the heavily packed tourist traps.

1 Like

Yes, I tend to get off the beaten path, and avoid the tourist traps when I travel, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rewind to mid-Century -> Seacliff State Park/Beach. Barbeque and picnic area above the shoreline road, dressing rooms/shower. My father would barbeque steak and hotdogs, mother would bring her special chili beans. Salad. French bread. If a birthday, ice cream kept on dry ice. Across the road, we kids body surfed way farther out than was safe. Walked out on the pier and now sinking) cement ship.

4 Likes

If enjoying beach time on the sand, I keep it pretty simple. Lots of drinks for hydration (N/A), beer, and maybe wine. For food, just simple snacks, maybe chilled fruit, trail mix, a few crackers or chips, possibly some cheese. Not much appetite in the heat, but a little something to fuel the body.

If visiting a beachy area, specialties of the particular locale in non tourist traps. Fish tacos, calamari, oysters, fish and chips, or whatever. Gulf prawns are a favorite - Guaymus blues, especially. Oysters!

4 Likes

Fried clams and lobster rolls when I visit the East Coast :slight_smile:

Crabcakes if I’m south of Philly.

4 Likes

Someone else’s fritto misto at a beach in Nice.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187238-d2250283-i469233740-Beach_Club_Saint_laurent_du_var-St_Laurent_du_Var_French_Riviera_Cote_d_.html

4 Likes

We pretend to have fritto misto by getting appetizer orders of fried calamari and fried clams or oysters. That and a green salad can be dinner at our house.

Rhode Island style calamari is our favorite when we can get it. Slices of cherry peppers or similar included in the mix. The plate gets anointed with a light drizzle of olive oil upon serving. This doesn’t sound like it would work though it does.

5 Likes

I’ll have to try Rhode Island-style when I find it on a menu. Haven’t seen that before.

4 Likes

A regional preparation for sure. If you see “Rhode Island style” with “Point Judith calamari” on a menu, that’s a good sign.

P.S. In reading various recipes on the web just now I see that the finish of olive oil isn’t done everywhere. I’m good either way.

4 Likes

The last new-to-me regional shore food I tried was Chowder Fries in Salem, Massachusetts.

4 Likes