What’s on your mind?

It’s not that I don’t use them. I do! But not in the last sentence of every post.

But I realize this is a me problem, so…

3 Likes

It’s funny what everyone’s respective pet peeves are. I’m fond of ellipses myself, so am wont to overuse. Agree with the offensive words except for moist, but I will add putrid, pimple and cockroach, all of which I hope not to see here. Stench is another.

I’m not really ranting right now, but I dislike usage of: bored OF, or should OF, Could OF, and the like. But, I don’t judge and fume about something that petty. I just keep remembering the book Eats Shoots and Leaves, which I loved.

2 Likes

Be careful not to get synthetic ellipses by mistake - those’ll kill you.

2 Likes

Right… you want free range, sustainable, organic…

1 Like

Well, you also want to know the potency.

I am not a fan of ellipses either. At first I assumed they meant someone had a lot more to say, but didn’t. Eventually I looked it up.

@Respectfully_Declined , my daughter hates the word moist too. I think we’ve shared that before.

1 Like
3 Likes

The word puss makes me cringe, but that is because I had a bad experience on the farm with it one time. But we won’t go there…

ETA sorry meant pus.

3 Likes

Omg yes! That’s a good one - cringeworthy for sure. :scream_cat:

1 Like

What a difference one letter makes. At one job, one employee was messing his billing sheets up. I wrote his boss an email to make him aware of it and suggest correction. The response I got back was “pubic flogging”. Come to find out, he had left out the l- public flogging. So from then on, when we needed a disciplinary approach, the first suggestion was always pubic flogging. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

Oh that is too funny! Not to sound like an old fuddy duddy, or a didactic scold, I’m amused and appalled at the written (especially) and verbal words presently. Yikes! But, ok, if I can understand or at least piece together the meanings. BUT totally do miss proper grammar. (Really wanted to use an ellipsis here but refrained)! :joy:

4 Likes

I know. I cringe at people who write stuff and I can’t even decipher it. But then again, I cringe at people wearing pajamas out in pubLic until i realize at least they are clothed.

3 Likes

My wife was ESL which made her endlessly entertaining.

Early in our marriage she worked for Deloitte and travelled frequently so we communicated via text. Early one morning she texted that she had a business lunch with a group.

Later in the day I asked her about the lunch and what she had.

She replied, “I had the grilled semen and it was delicious.” :astonished:
She meant salmon.

2 Likes

Small favors. Because the alternative is the People of Walmart site.

3 Likes

Your small h thanks you.

2 Likes

My Grandmother came home and said that she had problems getting money at the bank.
Setting the stage:
This was a time prior to ATM’s and banks closed at 3 pm on Fridays.
So if you didn’t make it to the bank before 3pm on a Friday, then you had no money for the weekend.
When I asked her what happend she proceeded to tell me that she told the teller she “wanted sex dollars” and that she kept saying it louder and louder because she thought that the teller was hard of hearing.
My Grandmother got stange and angry looks at the bank.
I explained to her that perhaps she should have asked for six dollars instead.
I explained the strange and angry looks to her…
She informed me that from now on, I was accompanying her to the bank.

8 Likes

Wow . After reading all of this . I post all of my meals after I have gone through wine time . I do not want to be checked for punctuation and grammar .I’ll wake up in the morning and look what I wrote . Sometimes its,.Oh well . They know me . Cheers :wine_glass:

10 Likes

I am still around for now but probably hanging on by a thread. Dunno what your wfd handle is but I meant Linda for her ridiculously yummy from scratch cooking almost every single night. I don’t know how she does it. With three dogs yet

@emglow101,

I agree with not correcting when no one is asking for your opinion.
My Grandmother was genuinely confused as to why they refused to give her “sex dollars”
and indicated so.
She left the bank without any money because they refused to serve her.
That requires an explanation.
She laughed about it afterwards yet did not want to find herself in the same predicament.
That’s why she wanted me to go with her from then on.

Well my other group did get to see my comments here if that is any solace as someone reposted them in my other group, I got a bit too enthused about the sad post from mr.guyguyguy as he seems a kindred spirit. Funny thing is that the mod from the other group suggested I come to HO because I said I missed your dinner posts and especially the monthly intros as you used to do on chowhound. This group was also recommended by some wfd members because they said HOers don’t do what I call the “mean hearts” which often meant on chowhound that someone got off a mean zinger and several other members would heart it sort of like “good one, give me five”. So glad not to see that behavior here. Any cat pics? I miss those too.

1 Like