What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Hi all! Home for todays game :football: !
Catching up on HO WFD thread, wow!
I’ve missed the lessons😉

Rooster

5 Likes

Hey hi Rooster, long time! (Moved you from the January discussion)

Thanks, naf! You are always on top of forum housekeeping!

1 Like

Naaa! :blush:

Better, you’ve missed some gossips and household drama! :roll_eyes:
Do you miss cooking?

Very much. I think I was in the house a few seconds before turning on the oven and checking the pantry. Headed to the market straight from the airport after checking in with my gal.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Believe me - everyone I know who is a Patriots fan is going out of our minds, @bmorecupcake!

2 Likes

I don’t, and that could be the problem I had with the jasmine rice. Will try rinsing it well the next time I cook it.

Not most, just in this recipe it helps to tenderize and cook evenly I think. I used a rolling pin.

3 Likes

My nephew, who is unusual for a Briton in that he claims to understand the game, is a Patriots fan.

On the other hand, as I write, It’s 1 - 1 in the Manchester City v Arsenal game. City desperately needs to win to stay in touch with Liverpool.

1 Like

Oh wow I would never have guessed that!

I cook basmati usually, and also had trouble with jasmine. I think it needs less water - I use 1:2 for basmati, more like 1:1.5 now for jasmine. Always washed well till water runs clear.

1 Like

Sports enthusiast child in my life is over the moon that that game is today in addition to the Super Bowl :joy:

1 Like

I must’ve missed this while I was away - are you on location working somewhere for a while?

@ChristinaM is there a recipe you follow for this? It looks so inviting.

This was pure lazy food - jumbo shrimp dusted with smoked chili salt blend from Aldi (includes cumin and coriander), just seared in a large non-stick pan with whole garlic cloves and set aside. Then a box of yellow rice toasted in the same pan with a few Tbsp. Goya sofrito and several bay leaves. Then added the rice seasoning packet, 1 3/4 c. water, and 1 c. peas. Simmer til almost done and add the shrimp back just to cook through in the last minute.

3 Likes

Yes. Bicoastal the next six months. I’m not cooking during work week at all. Back to prepared meals and local joints.

1 Like

I usually use 1:1.75 for basmati, and the back of the bag of Lundberg jasmine rice said 1:1.5 for that rice. BUT I didn’t wash it. So next time, I will. Perhaps that will help with the glueyness.

1 Like

:heart:

I hope by now that ManCity came through for you, Harters!

They did. I don’t have the live football channel on my cable package so I usually wait until the evening highlights show on a different channel - which means I usually try to avoid seeing the result - but not accidentally clicked on to a local news website and saw the score.

1 Like

It was OK - but not a keeper.

2 Likes

this is savory so we eat it with ketchup and tabasco
for the plain ones without meat, we add sugar to it.

1 Like