What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Started a March '19 thread here:

1 Like

:open_mouth: My actual face. This blows my mind.

LOL! I don’t think this works with flaky crust, it needs a higher heat to raise, maybe with a cookie crust or a shortcrust pastry.

1 Like

I do the same!

LOL, should do it the Chinese way for Hainanese Chicken… Use a cleaver to chop up the chicken in pieces WITH their bones and skins. :laughing:

I don’t like soggy skins, and the legs (drumsticks) don’t really need to be hacked in half given the concentration of meat :joy:

So better a richer broth!

When I have bone-in breasts as well, I do cut them up.

1 Like

I have a nice heavy duty cleaver but I still have never mastered this. I keep thinking about my poor knife and not wanting to ruin the edge. I also have thin cutting boards, and I find it doesn’t provide much cushion to the force I have use to hack through the bone it sits on my counters (even when I layer 3-4 together). I feel like I’m about to break the granite, or I’m not using enough force to cut through. I do miss having something like my mom’s 4 inch thick butcher block, but I would never need it for anything but chopping through chicken bones.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

haha, me too, I have never master the bone chopping. It seems easy when the guy do it in the Cantonese place (take away duck, or pork). I worry that my work top will suffer. Once I put the chop board on the floor, but I worried that my tiles would crack. I think one needs some confidence and strength to do it well.

1 Like

And then there’s the problem of bone splinters. Who can guarantee that the bones will cut into clean, splinterless pieces?

1 Like

You need a good sharp knife.

But it also has to be a fairly heavy cleaver. A normal sharp knife would chip when splitting bones.

1 Like

That’s right. Need a heavy duty chop board too. The normal ones are too fine and delicate for this. Actually I notice my cheap cleaver is not even sharp…but extremely heavy.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

I am just getting into it, but it’s very interesting. So far, the recipes are delicious. My husband knows the author.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

MARCH thread :snowman_with_snow::blossom::partly_sunny::sun_behind_small_cloud::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

2 Likes

So we tried your hash browns tonight. They came out great. Not quite as beautiful as in your picture, but still great. I had to make two batches. I had the temperature too low on the first batch, so it took a little too long. But the second batch came out really great. I followed your advice about heating the shredded potatoes in the empty pan before getting serious. It was a great success. Thank you!

4 Likes

We tried your cucumber miso appetizer tonight, and liked it very much. We tried it with two different misos, and all of us preferred the lighter version.

2 Likes

Yay! glad it turned out for you! hash browns are goooood…

1 Like