What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. What a great attitude to celebrate her life and remember her in happy memories.

I’m so very sorry to hear about your mother, @Scubadoo97, especially the last few years, which must be so painful for those who are being left behind. I do hope the celebration of her life with family and friends helped keep the good memories of her alive in your hearts.

3 Likes

Thank you! And also thanks for the link.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Sorry for your loss, Scuba! It’s a cruel illness.

3 Likes

perhaps I will need y our help in near future
Ha Ha
Turning 77 soon and starting to have memory lost

Thank you. It is a horrible disease

1 Like

Very sorry for your loss. For advanced age and bad health, it could be very hard.

In NYC? I hope! Keep the fingers crossed!!

2 Likes

So very sorry for your loss, Scubadoo. It’s never easy to lose a mother, no matter what the circumstances. Glad there were people around you keeping you well fed and celebrating her life with you.

3 Likes

Did you ever try cooking the tajine on coals, that must be fantastic. Do you need to soak it before using?

Actually I can find the pots in some Arabic grocery stores here, there is a massive population of immigrates. I will keep an eye if I can find a cooking one next time.

I am in NYC…if on sale fresh about $5.99 to $6.99 per pound… A 5 lb. frozen batch as little as $4.99 / lb.

Yesterday’s dinner was chicken salad with celery stalks, apples, almond, hazelnuts, dried figs and blue cheese, bleu des Causses. Sauce was Greek yogurt, mustard and vinegar.

A note on the blue cheese - bleu des Causses, it is nearly identical to Roquefort, uses the same bacteria, the same procedures, same affinage and the same types of caves, except Causses uses cow milk and Roquefort uses ewe milk. Texture is more humid, silky and supple, compared to Roquefort. Strangely, Bleu des Causses is less known than Roquefort.

Lettuce soup with potatoes, onion, garlic and chicken broth, with heavy cream and nutmeg, pepper. Sided with cheddar sticks (cheese, butter, yolk, grainy mustard and flour).

Main was some chicken liver yakitori.

12 Likes

I truly wish!

1 Like

That all looks so good. I love how other cuisines use lettuce a bit outside the box.

2 Likes

Folks, I made @gracieggg’s chicken rendang, and it was flippin’ DELICIOUS! This will be a definite repeat in our household - wish I’d doubled the paste for future meals!

I did use the star anise, added more sugar (mine was coconut) and tamarind paste (mine was a liquid jarred sauce), and used ground dried shrimp from the Latin market. 25 minutes in the IP for b/s thighs. It was saucier than it should be, but still perfect. Not fishy at all - just very savory. For chilies I used de-seeded dried pasillas.

Rice and sesame-cucumber salad alongside😂. Am I predictable or what?

Thanks for a winner!

12 Likes

sorry for your loss…

ah, i’m stuck in midtown - i used to get it cheaper in harlem, but subway fare isn’t exactly cheap these days…

1 Like

good luck! here’s hoping one of them lets dogs in the office too

2 Likes

Horray!!! I’m so glad you love it like I do! Isn’t it special??

2 Likes

Sooo yummy