What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

New to me (:flushed:) - please explain! Looks like more deliciousness than fried dough…

How did it taste, @shrinkrap?

1 Like

Tried an easy curry chicken soup to use up homemade chicken stock and the dark meat chicken from making it.

Maybe my curry powder wasn’t strong enough, or my palate just needs a stronger profile, but I ended up needing to add more ginger, garlic, cilantro, scallions, and a spoonful of a lemongrass curry paste I had sitting in the fridge. And baby bok choy that froze in my vegetable drawer…

I used rice noodles, and it tasted pretty close to the takeout version I get. So good on a cold day.

A couple of days ago my aunt made a curried parsnip soup for us - the curry was much stronger (pretty sure she used a lot more), and it was tasty but I prefer a smoother soup. I cut the curry flavor with half & half, but I think coconut milk would have been a better counterpoint.

14 Likes

I found a package of thick cut boneless loin pork chops at a small grocer I rarely shop. But I did today. And picked up four sourdough rolls fresh from their ovens. Honestly, the best Pork Chop meal I’ve made in months and months…

13 Likes

It was a bit too “bright”, but the bacon balanced it out ( according to my husband, who now gives pretty good feedback). Maybe the orange peel or lemon juice, but I don’t know. Maybe too much rosemary or fennel. Anyway, ate more for lunch and its almost gone!

3 Likes

I meant food,gardening, and foraging forum, but I can only ever remember the foraging part. There are some annual threads, but since I garden year round, I try to keep up with the winter garden thread too.

And you did a very fine job buttering your bread too.

5 Likes

Seared chicken with a bulgar pilaf and salad

10 Likes

Ha. Indeed.

Ah! I completely blanked on those, too! Thanks

Busy day of catching up on dumb grownup *ish that needed to get done and entirely too much walking around in the stupid cold.
And then i cooked!! In my own kitchen! On a monday! I wanted something with sweet potatoes (random craving) and went with it. Onions and garlic, tomato paste, carrots, sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, thyme, fennel seed, better than bullion veg, a splash of soy sauce, savoy cabbage, white beans and added a can of coconut milk. Looked better while cooking then finished- although really orange!

So dinner was a bowl of that stew (tasty! Not much coconut flavor though) and a big handful of these tasty chips that I’m very into. Perfect amount of salt and sturdy but won’t stab the insides of your mouth like some of those kettle cooked chips do

TBD if i’ll want some of that dk chocolate marzipan bar for dessert, that stew was really filling

11 Likes

those rolls look divine!

1 Like

sausage sundried tomato cream sauce linguine from yesterday’s day of cooking, and the best broccoli i’ve ever made/had. BF doesn’t like broccoli much (fool! I could eat it every day), so i steamed it, then stuck it under the broiler heavily dotted with butter and a little parm regg. toasted panko crumbs in butter with a crushed garlic clove, scattered the crumbs over the broccoli. Holy hell was it amazing. Sausage pasta was good but there’s plenty left of that, while i demolished the brocc.

16 Likes

Broccoli the star . I like that . Out of the steam and into the broiler . I’m keeping this one
Thanks.

3 Likes

Very nice!

I approve of the PSTOB on that baguette.

5 Likes

Those look great. What was the seasoning?

Solo parenting for a few days, so we are keeping it simple. Last night was a humble batch of lima beans slow cooked (from dried) with tomato, garlic, and onion, served over buttered rice cooked with the bean liquid strained off before I added the tomato. And a little whole milk cottage cheese on top, just for variety.

14 Likes

Very simple. Coated top & bottom with breadcrumbs, which I pressed onto the chops. Then added a liberal amount of Sea Salt, white pepper & dried Rosemary. Broiled them eight minutes a side. Chops were cooked through but still moist.

3 Likes

I know it’s not what quite what you did, but seeing that makes me think, i’ve got to start freezing fried rice for situations like that… Definitely do have the emergency frozen dumplings though.

1 Like