What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Sorry John about the news. Hope things will work out in this complicated situation. If talking makes you feel better, don’t hesitate.

4 Likes

How awful - for everyone. Sorry.

2 Likes

Hope things go as well as possible. I’m sure Mrs. H appreciates having you by her side. I’m sorry the holiday plans are off the table for now.

Oh John, so sorry to hear about this. Give my best to Mrs. H, and hugs to both of you.

2 Likes

My thoughts are with you and yours, John.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Who wants to talk about Asian dumplings?

I can’t keep track these days of who took what picture on which phone and if I posted it on Hungry Onion, Chowhound, or Instagram.

Today we made chicken biryani in a new Le Creuset 4.5 qt pot. After the old pot cracked a couple years ago during a move, I tried to stick with inexpensive options, thinking it was more psychological than anything else. However, for whatever reason, there’s no denying biryani comes out great in the Le Crueset. We’re thinking about hitting HomeGoods and stocking up on larger sizes. They aren’t cheap at $100 to $150, but worth it in my opinion. The Macy’s Martha Stewart brand is okay, too. I have smaller sizes of that brand. And these pots work well for baking bread, too, even if they aren’t rated for higher temps.

Using cake scraps leftover from leveling a cake and leftover peanut butter frosting, I made this mini cake. Enrobed in chocolate ganache. These “scrap” cakes always come out better than the real cakes.

Over the weekend we had dinner at our Chinese school’s New Years celebration. The mushroom dish was my favorite. The green tea roll cake was better than any I’ve had from bakeries. Beijing-style yogurt paired great with the heat of the Sichuan jelly noodles.

16 Likes

Thanks to all for your thoughts - really appreciated.

The old boy is still hanging in there, albeit not conscious, and the docs have been clear that this is “it”. Mrs H and one of her sisters are staying with him - the staff are going to find a couple of comfy chairs so they can at least doze. The rest of us have pretty much said our goodbyes and are going to bed. We’ll see what morning brings.

By the by, the ragu was pretty good.

14 Likes

Haddock filets roasted with a horseradish-potato topping, green salad with creamy honey mustard dressing and avocado, and leftover tahini carrots.

14 Likes

The cake is cute!

4 Likes

Was planning on eggs tonight for dinner. Just wasn’t thinking hard boiled.

But a vendor brought in lunch today and there was lots of salad left over, so I grabbed some of the salad and some of the vinaigrette.

Comprised of lettuce, sliced apples, goat cheese (augmented by a bit I had at home), dried cranberries, and walnuts, with my hard boiled eggs, grated carrots, radishes that I boiled and sliced, grated and sliced. Topped with the cafe’s raspberry vinaigrette. Was supposed to have cocktail tomatoes, but I forgot them.

And wine alongside. Top Chef on the flat screen.

11 Likes

I find your food photos always quite appetising, vivid and colourful. Is it a phone camera? Did you do post editing like changing the contrast?

@Linda, I like your food photos too . There is an intensity and nice colours.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am using a Pixel 3 phone, which has a good camera. I do usually use the phone’s camera app to edit color/contrast/brightness with one of the pre-set filters.

For example, here is an original versus a slightly edited pic:

Edited:

Until late November I used a Samsung Galaxy S7, which was also decent.

3 Likes

I will add your photos are always quite appetizing, too! Very nice plating.

2 Likes

Thanks. I would say, I’m getting lousy these days. After cooking, I really want to eat… I just grab my phone. In the past, I would use my Canon with the 50mm lens.

I have decided the restaurants just don’t read any of the notes/requests on the orders which go through grubhub to get delivery (since they provide the driver, has to use app for the delivery not a phone call)

@Scubadoo97
I actually love feta.
But, feta does not love me back.

Last delivery dinner in philly for now…! Really looking forward to making my own dinners regularly, even if it’s just those simple salads and such that aren’t especially exciting. Same falafel and veggies platter as the other night, i’ll have leftovers for breakfast

There’s a chunk of this vegan granola bar thing I bought at the coffee shop as a snack this afternoon that’s chocolate-y i’ll finish off with my tea.

10 Likes

3 dollar frozen pizza topped with chopped speck and shaved Romano . My favorite 7 dollar cab to drink . Headed down to ukiah tomorrow for the weekend. Tomorrow night Mendocino Brewing . Saturday visiting a plethora of wineries . Cheers . :wine_glass:

14 Likes

i respect that. looks fantastic.

3 Likes

The father in law didnt make it through the night. His breathing got slower and slower and finally stopped just after midnight. All very peaceful.

I suppose it’s easy to remember how he’d become - a very frail old man, with no mobility, lung cancer and failing kidneys. But I also remember what he was. First a friend before he became a father in law. I knew him through a group we were both members of and, if I hadnt given him a lift home one night, I’d never have got to meet his eldest daughter. I took one look at her and thought PHWOAR - and I still do.

And this was a man who served his country as a soldier for nearly 20 years. He gave up his career so that the future Mrs H wouldnt have to have the upset of attending an army boarding school in Germany. A man who served his co-workers as convenor of his trade union branch. A man who served his community by his political activism and as a governor of a local school. Not a bad life, all things considered.

LEEMING GRIFFITHS
1930 - 2019
RIP

(It’ll be a busy day. Dinner will be delivery of some form)

20 Likes