What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

Cleaning out the fridge for Thursday. Plate of italian sausage patties , and frittata. Topped with prosciutto after photo . Wine to drink :wine_glass: Cheers

14 Likes

:+1::+1: Good neighbor…

6 Likes

Deutsche, oops

Dressed up TJ’s cioppino w/bits from a lemon chicken carcass & some lagostines, a splash of dry vermouth. It was pretty ok. Sides of grilled polenta mush and veg. Yes, wine! W/cheese & avocado omelette for PS (extra calories). Mellow!
Ice storm here nothing like in NYC. Two hours scraping ice and leaves off the deck, though =
Midnight snack half a pumpkin scone.

12 Likes

WFD…Testing out roasted B sprouts tossed with balsamic, silan and honey for dinner along with baked spuds and
t bone steaks.

12 Likes

I know you will be pleasantly surprised…I have been eating Brussel sprouts since I was about 10 years old, when my mom served them to me with butter and salt and said it tastes like cabbage…I have since learned the adulteration of the cruciferous vegetable with the sweet, salty, and crunch additions (slivered almonds or toasted Panko bread crumbs).

6 Likes

My standby was usually roasted with oil, s&p until fork tender then tossed with a heaping amt of grated parm out of the oven. An over salted waste of good cheese.

This version is tasty and light on the finishing drizzle; 3 T to two lbs B sprouts. Lets the veg shine. :+1: on the char, roasted 25 min.

4 Likes

This unappetizing brown stuff is mushroom cobbler with thyme biscuits. Hubby found it somewhere on the Internet and asked if I could try to make it. It was awesome, Small Girl Child even ate it. I definitely will cook this again.

17 Likes

The mushroom cobbler looks delicious. Any chance you can point us to the recipe?

3 Likes

Not for thanksgiving, but try the version with fish sauce sometime if you haven’t already (often attributed to Momofuku / David Chang, but there are others out there too).

All of this is so kind of you.

1 Like

Thanks. I am posting it here so I have the recipe link handy as well as anyone else who might be interested. Sounds really good.

1 Like

Long day spent with Mom. But it was a very very good day for her.

Dinner decided on the way home - girelle pasta (a “hefty” pasta I got at Wegmans) with sauteed chicken and red bell pepper and a caramelized onion sauce. Sauce includes caramelized onions, white wine, heavy cream, evaporated milk (because I didn’t have enough heavy cream), grated Parm-Reg cheese, dried thyme and s/p. Sprinkled with crispy pancetta and toasted Panko crumbs and additional Parm-Reg.

Several hefty pours of wine alongside, along with a crusty buttered roll. The evening will be spent catching up on either Manifest or The Man In the High Castle.

And I get to sleep in tomorrow morning. Well, as long as the boyz will let me, of course.

18 Likes

You’re a very good neighbor, @meatn3. :heart:

10 Likes

That version of the momofuku sprouts leaves out the best part- the rice crispies topping!! I’ve made these but with faux fish sauce and dialing down (ok omitting) the spicy stuff, they’re really amazing

5 Likes

Roasted cauliflower salad, and VIETNAMESE CARAMELISED PORK. (Not yelling; a copy and paste).

14 Likes

Are the Brussels sprouts as good as the ones from around the coastal regions of the Monterey bay . I love them sprouts.

1 Like

Apparently today was the day for my annual green bean casserole craving. I didn’t grow up with it on the table (usually we just had steamed green beans with some butter and sliced almonds) but something about the green beans mushroomy creamy casserole sounds good to me about once a year.
I used a vegan cream of mushroom soup (imagine brands), fresh green beans, and plenty of those fried onions! Made a mini batch, not sure it will be appealing tomorrow- about one more generous portion leftover

And to make my meal even more random I really wanted my favorite lazy girl tofu- aka tofu with soyaki sauce.

Seriously unattractive meal!! Kombucha a la carte. Picked up some mandarin oranges that might be dessert with my tea

13 Likes

Different animal all together. I feel like when I’m in cali all i want to do is let the natural veg flavor come through- so i stick to really simple preparations (or raw if possible). East coast sprouts are pretty good but i give them a bit more help

3 Likes

You’re right, those rice krispies are def worth the extra steps.

1 Like