What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

WHAT??? No Goldfish?
Don’t you keep an emergency stash?

2 Likes

Love the leaf-wrapping!

3 Likes

Leaf wrapping? Where do you find that?

Looks like banana leaves - usually available fresh or frozen at Latino and indian markets

2 Likes

:joy:
Emergency stash is in my desk! Backups at my apartment (obviously)…

1 Like

Time for a December WFD?

1 Like

New thread for December is up!

1 Like

I realize the pictures don’t tell the story, which is on another thread.

The bannana wrapped packets are Conchita Pibil, using the Seriouseats recipe, coming out of the smoker. I unwarapped one last night and will add a picture. The bannana leaf is from frozen packages at the local “Asian” market. Asian doesn’t really capture it. They seem to have everything from any “island culture” as well.

The other picture was the larger portion of the “pork shoulder arm picnic whole”, roasted in the oven using the Serious Eats pernil directions.

Interesting difference in the final product; I preferred the super crunchy skin (lechon?) on the pernil, but the flavor and texture of the smoked pibil.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Conchita Pibil

Turkey tagine

7 Likes

Roasted Chickpeas

and duck stock

8 Likes

Wow! please further explain the tagine.

Well…it started here…

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/what-would-you-do-with-turkey-thighs/15535N

Then, Inspired by paprikaboy’s.

I sort of used this recipe

Daniel Boulud’s Chicken Tagine

1 Like

Did you use the tagine recipe, or just the spicing?

I’ve used that recipe before, and found it fussy and actually not very good - the flavors didn’t blend together until the next day, because everything was cooked separately to keep it all intact and pretty.

Curious if your experience was different, because I’ve had the chicken tagine in his restaurant and it’s delicious,

Wow…so many meals ago…from the picture…

I’m thinking the spicing, and the cauliflower and olives . I think I’d already done my version of the cauliflower, and added peeled tomaotes from the garden. Or maybe the

I keep around.

I’ll do better.

I have never owned a mandolin, thought of buying one but afraid it would be just one of those kitchen gadget that does not get used. I have a whole box of Cuisinart Complete Disc ( 8 altogether DLC 870) aside fro the 2 regular disc and shredder that came with the Cuisinart. It is kept at the back of my drawer, only use it when I need to make spring rolls which I may never be able to make because of red meat allergy)

I found that I can slice vegetables very very thin when I purchased this knife sharpener
Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives Diamond Abrasives Patented Sharpening System

Since I bought this , the knifes stays very sharp but if I need to slice vegetables very thin, I just run the knife in it and they do come out very thin without having to worry about cutting myself or having another item in the kitchen. In fact, someone asked me not long ago on HO board how I sliced my potatoes that thin? When I cook D’artagnan’s recipe for wild boar ragu, I need to slice my onions and fennel super thin and I find this equipment very useful.

1 Like

yummilicious food… feels like eating them all… bdw thanks for such a nice forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi there. Do jump right in and join us!

Welcome to this forum of serious food persons!

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition