What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

SV lamb shank with “giant beans” and chard. I don’t have any huge pot or pan to accommodate the full meal. Don’t know what these “giant beans” are, probably lima. The name on the tin reads in German “white giant beans”, literally. My winter rosemary still looks pathetic but the plant will come to life again soon when it warms up.

And to keep Great Wall on topic… Great Wall meets Great Wall wine.

5 Likes

I am not sure of the details, but the US government, in its great wisdom, used to refer to the capital of China in official documents as Peiping. I think that this went on until Nixon visited China.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m usually a bit more deliberate when making a soup/stew so i was a bit skeptical it would turn out… i need to use barley more often, it absorbed all the delicious flavors and still had that nice chewy texture

2 Likes

Very cool with the barley. Have you tried farro in your cooking ?

I’ve tried farro a few times and it’s just not as easy to find- and much more expensive- I certainly liked it, i made a “farroto” at some point. I guess i just don’t appreciate the nuances enough compared to other easily accessible grains… i’ll have to see if my WF has it in the bulk section, i’m overdue to give it another go.

1 Like

I ended up at union square today and was excited to go to the farmers market, thinking all the best vendors would be there with the approaching holiday weekend. I found… lots of baked goods, flowers, eggs, more baked goods, $5/lb little potatoes, fancy organic sprouts, more baked goods, and the apples and cider guy. Harumph. Bought a few apples and had to let go of my spring salad fantasy of sugar snap peas and radishes.

Pre-dinner drink inspired by @LindaWhit ! I saw these packs of sparkling rose and they’re perfect for a single glass of bubbly

And also pack a 10% alcohol level- whoahza.

Dinner was a repeat from last night’s stew, a little thicker and even better today. I’ll spare you a photo.
Kombucha as dessert , i have been so thrilled with this last batch that was in the bottle so long for the second ferment, each bottle has been crazy carbonated! This one was pomegranate/ginger/lemon

8 Likes

I finally cooked something for the first time in about a week and a half that wasn’t a freezer meal or crappy pizza or a bowl of cereal.

Comfort food from my growing up days. What Mom called “Fail-Safe Company Chicken” - it was one that could be held if guests were late. I’ve made a few changes (of course).

BISO chicken thighs, tossed in a flour/paprika/fine herbes mixture, then pan-seared meat-side down. Into a small baking dish with more oil swirled in the pan; into a 450°F. oven for 30 minutes. Flip it over and pour on the sauce.

Sauce is cream of mushroom soup, orange juice, white wine, brown sugar, garlic powder, nutmeg, and dried tarragon all whisked together and simmered, then poured over the chicken and baked at 350°F for another 20-25 minutes. Add a handful of green grapes and mandarin orange segments at the last 5 minutes.

Orange-Clove Rice and Roasted Brussels sprouts alongside, as well as wine. I’m happy.

10 Likes

1 hour, fair enough. I think I will give it a try, looks delicious. Thx for the recipe.

1 Like

You are the king of all things fermented :wink::yum:, have you thought of making fermentation into a serious hobby? (and selling the products too?!)

Spring is (almost) in the air it was a beautiful day here in PA but the snow was trash and so was my skiing. Working on chorizo and eggs for a late dinner

blue moon is pure and bright in the clear sky but last nights made better pictures

8 Likes

Haha, i’m just having fun with it- i’m not so crazy to ever think i should try and sell it, but i do give away some to friends :slight_smile: just let me know next time you’re in NYC!

2 Likes

I had sourdough not tortillas does that count as “fusion” LOL!

6 Likes

Just don’t call it a taco :wink:

3 Likes

Add some parsley on top, call it a “tartine” and you could charge $15! :joy:

4 Likes

Never. Tacos are sacred. :pensive:

3 Likes

Love it. That’s a new word for me. I can totally rock Tartines :grinning:

2 Likes

We had sunshine today! I had read about this tiny take away spot in chinatown that makes cheong fun and decided i needed a bike ride. Which took a while coming from harlem but was worth it for a hot box of crazy fresh rice noodles with whatever filling you choose- mine was veggies- with that peanut sauce and dark soy sauce.
Went to my favorite chinatown large grocery since I needed the daikon and korean pear for my new batch of white kimchi. Omfg seriously the smallest daikon was like 3lbs! Haha, it was super fresh and gorgeous and crazy cheap

Dinner appetizer veggies were bits of daikon, red bell pepper and korean pear while finishing kimchi prep, and a glass of cheap reisling from trader joe’s.
I found the rice noodles at the grocery too! And that’s exactly what i wanted.
Steamed and then topped with some dark mushroom soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds. I should have cut them smaller to be easier to eat… side of thin sliced daikon dipped in a really mild white miso and sesame seeds

More super bubbly kombucha for dessert, lemon ginger with a kick of cayenne

8 Likes

Give or take the 1 hour depending on the pieces of chicken used. The recipe USUALLY calls for assorted pieces of skinless chicken and there’s no pre-searing of the chicken since there’s usually no skin, but I wanted to try it with the skin-on thighs - worked out very nicely. The chicken was very moist.

It’s one of only two recipes I use condensed cream of mushroom soup for, so I usually have a can in my pantry for the cravings. Since I only use about a half cup of the cream of mush soup, I freeze the rest for next time I need it.

2 Likes

I’ve started a new thread for April here:

2 Likes

@Presunto, how long do you sous-vide your duck, and at what temperature?