What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

Even its last photo is still stunning. Salutation with due respect!

Continue to have fun with the trip. The best part, no internet!

Thanks, it was a last minute invention.

Love the Buchimgae! I want Korean food now!

1 Like

Greek

Loin lamb chops, tsatziki, mushrooms lathara, green beans, shepherds salad, pilafi,

4 Likes

Accomplished:
–Driver’s license renewed at AAA. (although a typical crappy picture).
–Taking Mom on various errands in the pouring rain.
–Some work this afternoon. More tonight.

Not Accomplished:
–Heirloom apple picking. I’ll pick apples in a misty rain. I won’t do so in a pouring rain. So I guess I’ll be buying what I can at my local farm stand this year.

Dinner was the first real cooking I’ve done in 6 days: a pork tenderloin, seasoned with olive oil, salt, and Herbs de Provence and roasted with some apple cider mixed with apple cider syrup in the bottom of the roasting pan, and spooned over for a glaze.

Baby potatoes roasted in olive oil, salt, garlic-herb mix, and sauteed carrots, corn, peas and red bell pepper with minced thyme and Aleppo pepper.

Wine.

6 Likes

It was a lot cooker today than it has been the past few weeks so i wanted a hot meal. I loooove love the espinacas con garbanzos from SK although i tweak the recipe a bit- i use twice the spinach, skip the bread part (which i think dulls the flavor a bit) and usually use a bit less oil and more garlic. I used some frozen chickpeas i had cooked from dry a while back as well as the cooking liquid they were frozen in so the dish was very saucy in a good way. Really delicious! I’ll have the leftovers for breakfast with a glob of greek yogurt for the next few mornings.

5 Likes

I recreated a dish that my friend had ordered while we ate our way across Santa Fe: Carne Adovada. I served it with some Blue Corn Cakes and black beans. Sadly, my pictures look awful! We placed a cake on our plates, and then placed some of the Carne Adovada on top with the beans on the side. My husband remembered that this tasted like a buffalo dish he had at the Smithsonian Museum of Native Americans. Finally, I knew what it reminded me of. I wish the pictures were not so nasty but here they are:

Carne Adovada

Black beans with pork fat and onions

Blue Corn Cakes

My very dark plate

7 Likes

Prime aged strip cooked a perfect medium, oysters and shrimp as an appetizer.

10 Likes

Originally, menu tonight would have been be seared pork tenderloin , finished in the oven, some of my frozen chicken and pork adobo gravy ( son does not like cream based gravy nor anything that has fruits as gravy. I love to have fried apples with apple liquor when I am serving pork tenderloin but he does not eat that either, so I just quit serving that as a side dish with pork tenderloin) , left over biscuits from breakfast ( Red Lobster brand) and espinas con garbanzo. Since I was busy making sio mai and pot stickers ( made around 100), son requested to just have pot sticker for dinner as he had friends coming over.

Going away tomorrow so, decided to cook he espinas con garbanzo tonight to avoid being in a a rush for dinner tomorrow night.

I do not follow recipe either, frankly, I do not remember the original recipe .I never used bread in it, I also like tomatoes and add that as well as a few small sweet and jalapena peppers from my garden,

, smoked paprika. It still was not spicy enough, so I added chipotle and adobo sauce to it. I am also very liberal with the EVOO.

5 Likes

I did not buy basil at the FM yesterday, but found a large bunch in my bag. So, we made a quick pesto for dinner. Side was fresh buffalo mozzarella, baguette, sun dried tomatoes, figs, and a few caper berries.

9 Likes

Happy Cake Day Robin!!

2 Likes

NJ is the official HO Cake Ambassador! :grin:

BTW, our October dinners is here:

1 Like

This is absolutely up my ally
Looks fantastic

Thanks for the idea. I googled and came up with smittenkitchen’s version, but substituted braised kale for the spinach since my vegetarian son much prefers it and I had some local Tuscan kale to use up and some stale multigrain bread. It is really delicious even though I forgot the paprika. The tang from the vinegar is perfect.

2 Likes

Haha! Great minds think alike :smile: i just make the spinach and chickpeas last night! I really loved the leftovers with some plain greek yogurt and a squeeze of lemon this morning.
I love that yours has some more veggies, i’ll have to try that next time

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for dinner? #5 - Jan 2016. The Happy New Year Edition

that carne adovada looks fantastic to me! do you have a particular recipe you used?

I am going to make this soon - i saw it in a lot of tapas bars in Sevilla and never got around to trying it! i think i made something similar to it last year, but i can’t remember now…

1 Like

@mariacarmen. Yes. I used this recipe– https://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Recipes/Archived_Recipes/Carne_Adovada/

I thought it well represented what we enjoyed in Santa Fe.

thanks!

1 Like