What’s for Dinner #20 - 04/2017 - Spring's calling: a movable feast

Friday night, a shrimp bun bo. I don’t think officially this exists in Vietnamese cuisine, but I got the ingredients from the remaining of the spring rolls from Thursday night.

Sat night, we had a hot tripe stew with radish.

Last night was cod pan cooked with pan and vegetables: asperagus, sweet peas, leek, cooked in a vegetable broth.

6 Likes

Very sorry about your lost, luckily a part of her spirit still lives through you!

@Salsailsa, thank you!!!

@naf, “bo” means beef/cow. I would eat your noodles with those nice looking prawns anyway. There’s always chopped peanuts in those noodle dishes but I remove them all. And which country’s food is the tripe braise? Chinese?

Looks like everybody is eating asparagus lately. I just got my first 2kg on saturday so here we go again… asparagus (almost) every day till the end of the season.

It was on national news last week this year farmers harvest asparagus 2 weeks earlier so that the season lasts longer and the supermarkets can stock it also 2 weeks earlier. AND it should cost half the price. So far this price is only seen at the market.

1 Like

Yeah, you are right about bo, I read it a while ago and forgotten that, so it’s a tom bun.

[quote=“Presunto, post:80, topic:8962”]

And which country’s food is the tripe braise? Chinese?
[/quote] Yeah, tripe stew is Chinese, with star anise, soy source, ginger, chilli sauce, rock sugar,
Chinese rice wine and cooked for 2 hours, radish added in the last 30 minutes.

1 Like

i’ve only cooked twice in the last 5 or 6 days. last night was a slow cooked pork shoulder (a tiny one, about 2 llbs.) that was slit and filled and slathered with a lemongrass paste (lemongrass, garlic, salt, brown sugar, fish sauce, thai chilies, etc., all blended in the food processor) and marinated overnight. then roasted at 275 degrees for 6 hours. quick pickled daikon & carrots, slivered purple cabbage for crunch, nuoc cham to drizzle over the pork, and a sauce made with Salvadoran crema, thai sweet chili sauce, and sriracha. and fat homemade tortillas! for tacos!

tonight was another pan-asian night: homemade chopped kimchi (Lucky Peach’s version - been in the fridge for at least a month) was smothered all over chicken thighs, marinated all night, then put into a pan and simmered with a touch of water and more kimchi until it was done, then put under the broiler to crisp the skin. wonderfully sweet and slightly spicy, very homey. i also made thai fried rice (day-old jasmine rice, basil, sliced up baby bok choy, egg, onion, garlic, serranos, fish sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy and a touch of sugar. ) on the side was more baby bok choy, browned and then simmered in last night’s nuoc cham. loved this meal.

9 Likes

Hey What’s for Dinner HOs! Just a reminder that we have decided to try out a “Cuisine of the Quarter” thread, where we vote on a cuisine to spotlight for a few months. We’ll be posting about any of our food experiences with that cuisine, including cooking from recipes (cookbooks, magazines and online sources all welcome), recipe creation, dining out, ingredient shopping and more.

Nominations have been made and the voting thread is here: Spring 2017 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter - VOTING THREAD I can’t wait to see which cuisine wins this quarter, and I look forward to learning a whole lot about whatever cuisine we choose!

3 Likes

Damn it, Mariacarmen, you make it hard to choose a favourite!

Leftover grilled chicken thighs and rice from the other day are today’s a salad of sorts. After all these years the partner is still surprised how I can just “chuck everything in” and make a meal out of it.

The fresh vegs are tomatoes, shaved asparagus, radishes, onions. Plus mint and coriander.

3 Likes

“I’ve only cooked twice in the last 5-6 Days”

Looks like it you made it count. Lovely food as always

3 Likes

thanks, scuba!

BF took my lemongrass pork and made bbq sauce for it, and then served it over boiled and fried potatoes, alongside a green salad with blue cheese dressing. The pork was great but the potatoes were the best! there is nothing better than well-fried potatoes. Thank god he only made a tiny portion.

5 Likes

sorry to hear, emglow. what a gift she gave you. i’ll raise a glass to her as well, belatedly.

1 Like

Better quality than quantity if one has to choose!
Decided, I will try some of your pull pork next week, which recipe do you recommend? Your last one looks lovely, but I’m not sure I could get some lemongrass this week end, I need to go to the city to buy.

1 Like

How beautiful that you had someone like that in your life. :heart::wine_glass:

1 Like

Jambon-Beurre. Take-out sandwiches, because I’m a lazy mom and didn’t feel like cooking.

7 Likes

Last night was spicy crispy beef and tofu, augmented with a few random ends of vegetables that were starting to wilt in the fridge (a stalk of broccoli, a few leaves of chard, etc.). The flavors of ginger, garlic and hot peppers (in this case, sambal oelek and fresh jalapenos) are so assertive in this dish that you don’t even really taste the vegetables. I made what I thought was enough for 3-4 servings and DH and I polished off the whole pan. Oops.

Tonight will be grilled chicken thighs with a salad and a couple of leftover vegetable sides - I have one serving of Brussels gratin for DH, one serving of tahini cauliflower puree for me. @mariacarmen has me craving blue cheese dressing now so I will have to stop at the store for a wedge of something stinky!

4 Likes

naf - this is my favorite recipe:

i’ve done it with much shorter marination time, but it really benefits from overnight marinating. and yes, much easier to find these simple ingredients. i hope you love it too - good luck!

2 Likes

i swear i could live off of jambon beurre sandwiches… so simple and so good!

3 Likes

Shrimp and potatoes in a broth of shrimp shells, paprika, shallots and garlic

7 Likes

Monday night was out to dinner with a friend (who is korean) to a vegan korean restaurant (!) even though she isn’t vegan -or vegetarian- we both really enjoyed our meal. Shared several smaller dishes including these pretty veggie/tofu rolls with a creamy peanut sauce, as well as assorted steamed dumplings, a plate of sizzling mushrooms on a hot plate and a bulgolgi tempeh dish that has now converted her to a tempeh lover! Haha.

I stopped in K-town at H mart on my way home that night. So last night i made some stir fried korean rice cakes with a mysterious sauce i bought- i suspect it’s a meat marinade but the ingredients were vegetarian and it’s tasty. Alongside i had a soybean sprout banchan i bought and a bunch of sliced daikon sprinkled with furikake

The crisis de jour at work meant i didn’t have lunch til about 4pm, worked a bit late and just celebrated my Ripe Avocado Day by schmearing it on half a toasted pumpernickel bagel, hefty dose of everything bagel spice ontop. Odd sides of more soybean sprout banchan and some sliced cucumber with a very thin schmear of my light miso.

8 Likes

It’s a classic in here, personally I like more the cured raw ham, jambon sec

Talking about ham sandwich, Monday and Tuesday night was a ham soup. Cooked ham chopped, garlic and onion chopped, add milk, cream and chicken broth and cook it for 10 minutes. Mixed everything.
Cut up some pieces of bread to make croutons, put slices of Emmental cheese and off to oven until the cheese melt. Slice some pickles and put that on the cheese. Put the crouton in a bowl, add the soup! Yum! Actually it is exactly the same ingredient of the jambon beurre sandwich!

Followed by a calf kidney with reduced cider vinegar pasta, with leek and green bean, with a parmesan pasta.

The ham soup the next day, with bone marrow and mango avocado salad and cheeses.

Yesterday was the chicken rice. More at the DOTM link. April 2017 - Homecooking DOTM (Inaugural Edition) - CHICKEN AND RICE - #53 by naf

Tonight was an unintentional pulled pork… I think the recipe is Malaysian. I changed the recipe with pork, I cooked 2 hours, and the meat was moist and fallen apart… (@mariacarmen, thanks a lot for your recipe!!)

With the left over rice, which I added eggs and pan fried it to have more of that yummy crisps.
Ate with some peas and beans.

8 Likes