What’s for Dinner #20 - 04/2017 - Spring's calling: a movable feast

I know “pics or it didn’t happen” but last night’s dinner was braised curly kale with fine diced red onion, red jalapeño and garlic Seasoned with s/p and Greek oregano. Red wine and Balsalmic vinegars added to brighten and sweeten the dish

This was the side to pan seared fresh Mahi

A side of corn bread would have been nice but didn’t happen

3 Likes

Sounds good, Scuba. As soon as spring arrives here kale simply disappears, as if we just want to push memory of winter to the dark recesses of our minds.

(And I’m not aware of the “pics or it didn’t happen” policy, but we don’t care about that!)

I have 2 soles waiting to be cooked. Will be adding a few squid from the other day, plus a salad of parsley, cucumber,beetroots and red capsicum. Also, the last of kalamata olives. Well, basically the last of the food in my fridge. It’s about to rain so I probably won’t have enough natural light to make photos. Hah!

3 Likes

The best list, simply!

Some meals this week:
After a warm March, April was suddenly turning back to freezing nights. If you have read news about the French vineyard, the owners are desperately trying to save the plants, with heater, big candles and even creating current with helicopters. I took in my young tomatoes plants back in the house every night. To keep us warm, I did a poule au pot, hen stew. First time my husband has a homemade one. I was surprised that my MIL never made this Sunday stew. After all, chicken soup is so comfy!

More detail with the Dish of the Month link here:

Other meals of the week: white asparagus with Sabayon sauce, Italian inspiration. This particular recipe I used, asked to burn the sauce in the oven. Problem: it took a while under the grill, more than the 3 minutes stated. Result: everything became a bit too cooked. I also didn’t see the advantaged of the grilled sabayon.

The failed corn totilla became polenta with the remaining pulled pork from the election party. Very yummy still.

Vietnamese shrimp roll, on of the fav of H. He could eat 6 in a roll!

Have a nice long weekend!

7 Likes

Green garlic means spring! It is everywhere at the farmers markets right now. I dislike dried garlic, but love green garlic.

Green garlic soup with Parmesan dumplings.

Everyone loved this soup; I made three quarts and it was all eaten. It was also suggested that next time I double the amount of dumplings. :slight_smile:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/11/food/la-fo-greengarlicreca-20100311

Hint: Taste your cheese before adding it to the dumpling mixture. The Parmesan flavor in my dumpling was very strong. I should have tasted my cheese before adding it to the dumplings. Using half the amount called for in the recipes would have been enough.

8 Likes

Good idea to make strangolapretti! With my new pasta machine from Christmas, I’m now trying to look for delicious dumpling recipes. I must say that I don’t see often green garlic here, only those without germination. Maybe I can use these pink garlic from Lautrec to make it, I saw some soup recipes using it.

I did manage to snap 2 pics.

Brushed with grated turmeric and some OO.

5 Likes

Intense work drama this week plus more crazy than usual hours there have left me beyond exhausted.
My boss was let go thursday- we got along great but the creative director is restructuring the division so her position was eliminated (she was there all of six months)
We met for wine once i finally left the office - i am absolutely not supposed to have more than one glass on a weeknight and i had three…!
Home too late i made my other cup of kimchi ramen and had about half of it. Pathetic “meal”.

Yesterday was rough. And long.
And hot!
Dinner was smacked cucumbers on some arugala with cubed smoked tofu and hemp seeds added so i could pretend it was a proper meal. Tasty combo.
Semi frozen mango chunks as dessert

3 Likes

Visits to three different locations, but no kitties. Either not the right fit (sometimes the cats were just too scared to get a good idea of what they were really like - which I totally understand, being in an unknown space with people staring at them!), or the cats I was interested in online were already adopted. :-/

And so Alfie and I wait.

Tonight was something I was craving - Fettuccine Carbonara with Asparagus. Didn’t have guanciale or pancetta, so bacon stood in.

There was wine, of course.

7 Likes

Two duck legs cooked slowly in ci skillet . Bottle of wine to drink . Pure and simple . :wine_glass: Cheers

3 Likes

Razor clams cooked with the mild green chilli pepper, celery, paprika and white wine. Good except a few that still has some sand. We have changed water 3 times and have them soaked for 2 hours. Apparently, it was not enough to get them clean.

Ate with some toast with paté, mixed with Corsican sausage Figatellu and pickles. Very good. Finished with a salad and fruits.

1 Like

How old is Alfie? In a way, it’s he who chooses… knowing his character and preferences.
I sense my cat feel bored at times even he could go outside. I have no courage in having 2 cats, when travelling in train, 2 cats mean too much luggage, unless they are willing to walk with a leash!

I love Mapo tofu! But I always bought the store prepared sauce than making everything from scratch. Never tried the vegetarian version. The traditional version with the fried mince pork, it is a delight on white rice!

It’s very easy to make, the hardest part is probably just finding some real doubanjiang.

2 Likes

Making a Caramelized onion, rice and chicken recipe from the Jerusalem cookbook tonight.

3 Likes

Moar kitteh hunting today. Some potentials; we’ll see.

Chilly-willy as compared to yesterday, including some rain along the way. Hannafords had whole chickens on sale @ $.77/lb, so $5.50 for the whole birdie was irresistible.

Olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dried Herbes de Provence schmeared all over the birdie and roasted @ 450° for 15 minutes, then @ 350° for another scant 2 hours until the Thermapen reached 165°. Taken out to rest while I made gravy.

Yukon Gold potatoes roasted in the convection oven with olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.

Sauteed green beans, red bell pepper, and onion with olive oil, butter, and some Penzey’s Fine Herbs.

Wine. T’was a good dinnah.

6 Likes

I know i know better but whole foods on a sunday is just freaking stressful!
However, i did finally find myself some kimchi :smile:
I bought both! The red one isn’t as spicy as i was afraid it would be. I already ate a good portion of each as an appetizer and will have to make my own next weekend, it’s really delicious but stupid to pay so much for it.
I also saw this stuff but passed since it had anchovy- looked like a fun ingredient for cooking though

For dinner i made some korean rice cakes with lots of baby bok choy, bean sprouts, sesame oil, soy sauce, mushrooms and smoked tofu. Some sliced daikon on the side.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: What’s for Dinner #21 - 05/2017 Spring the Garden Banquet edition

So, I’m not the only one here, besides @linguafood, who is in Germany at the moment.

Last night… We arrived in the evening on a sunday, everything was closed, save for a couple of restaurants (because tourists have to eat, too). I have packed a few food items knowing everything would be closed in this small village by the Mosel river. Couscous and Bratwurst from home. Couscous was fried in the fat after the sausages. I brought 2 big, frozen chunks of Mangalitsa fat for cooking (and eating on bread).

My first Riesling in Riesling paradise. It’s a sparkling one, picked up from winemaker Toni Treis whose residence and tasting room is a few minutes walk from my lodging.

Just a hint of sweetness.

3 Likes

After an incredibly stressful day and at least two wine spritzers too many, I threw together a bastardized spaghetti all’Amatriciana last night, with bacon, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes and a can of diced tomatoes. Purists may say that it’s not Amatriciana without guanciale, and maybe they’re right - but it sure was delicious. Pasta is a rare treat for us and I enjoyed every last bite!

4 Likes

Let’s jump to the May WFD here: