What is the lure of Aldi's Market?

In the UK, either Aldi or Lidl (I can’t recall which) recently had an advertising campaign urging customers to use them for “the full shop”. I’m not sure I could that, mainly as the meats are not generally ethically raised, but if I had to I could get most of the weekly shoppping there without too much grief. And all of it if price ever became a real major factor for me.

However, I like to regard it as a foraging exercise, much as I regard a similar irregular visit to our nearby premium supermarket (Waitrose). Most weeks, the shop is at the midrange place just up the road (Sainsbury)

1 Like

That’s the point…shop there first, then fill in as needed at the bigger shop.

So pick up lettuce, tomatoes, napkins, loo roll, etc (because Aldi do carry organic, too) then buy whatever you couldnt or wouldnt buy from Aldi at the bigger store.

Aldi is not for everyone, the quarter return is a big plus for me. One of the few stores in which I don’t have to worry about my car being damaged by runaway carts.
Personally I enjoy seeking out new and appealing items . Here are some threads that discuss or make mention of the store and its products.

I read recently that lidl will be expanding in the US, I hope in the North East. I like all of the choices we have and find them necessary since so many chains suck or are prohibitively expensive.

The markets vary greatly by location. I know many who rave about Aldi. I visited in Baltimore and there was nothing worth buying for me. I’ve visited several in Ohio and some are ok, others not worth visiting but it’s yet to become a weekly staple store for me.

2 Likes

They actually have recently opened a half dozen or so In NC, SC and VA. Quite a few other locations will open within the next year. Next week I’ll be traveling through a town with a Lidl and hope to be able to stop by and check it out. The early reports sound promising!

Out of curiosity have visited the nyc aldi’s a few times, it’s not very convenient.
I came home with some fun euro condiments (my weakness!) likes mustards and pickles and jams, some quite good dark chocolates, box of spatzle mix… non essentials but fun stuff that didn’t add up to a whole lot.
Produce was cheap and beaten up a bit- but then again same can be said for a lot of produce in nyc stores.

We shop at an Aldi in NJ. The store is kept clean most of the time but popular items or remainder products they are anxious to sell now marked rock bottom priced can be thrown about in bins, off shelves.
Our usual shop includes, AP flour, sugars, jarred olives, pickles, artichokes and roasted peppers, eggs, butter, canned white meat chicken, tortillas, Pam, some cheese and specialty items on seasonal rotation. Last year the jarred stewed purple cabbage was great and the christmas stuff is fun, Halloween candy (brand) is marked way down post holiday, I personal love the fresh brioche buns and cinnamon rolls. Plenty of items I pass up and other than whole garlic cloves and bags of whole lemons, we don’t buy the produce. I wish they sold fresh herbs and more of a fresh floral section. The rock cornish hens in the freezer were surprisingly good on the grill!

That’s pretty funny. 35 years ago my husband was buying 99 cent/pound braunschweiger for his lunch. How are they selling it for the same price today??

I shop Aldis primarily for a few items: crackers (many of which I prefer to their brand named counterparts, at half the price), cookies, corn chips, and sometimes odd featured items. The Aldis nearest me was one of the first ones in my state and is indeed rather glum and quite small but a new and much larger store has recently opened near me. However, what the small store lacks in amenities it makes up for with the fastest most efficient and most helpful cashiers I have ever encountered in any grocery.They are particularly nice to the frail and elderly shoppers, who are often confused by the pace at the checkout. I have watched as cashiers have helped these people count out their money (lots of handfuls of change) and assisted those with physical disabilities, all with the greatest respect and friendliness. It’s great to see these teenage cashiers treating the elderly so well. For this reason alone, I will probably continue to shop at this Aldis, although the “fancy” new one is closer to my home.

1 Like

That’s what I was wondering too, although I recall getting deli liverwurst at the regular supermarket for 99 cents maybe 10 or 15 years ago. But not anymore, the price suddenly shot up. The amazing thing is that it is a good as any I’ve ever tasted! It’s from Germany I believe, so you’d think it would double the price of anyone else.

Based on your comments, I will revisit Aldi when I am near one. I get this market is an example of German efficiency at work. I would not go out of my way. Thanks for the tip about the braunschweiger, and I will be sure to stay away from the ‘Berrman’s’ mayo…

1 Like

I probably wouldn’t go out of my either but it’s only three minutes from home :wink: Ditto that with Trader Joes to tell the truth, that’s over a half hour drive but my husband has a few doctors that we visit regularly right around the corner…but you can’t do your full shopping there either, really. At least I can’t, I go for the stuff I can’t get anywhere else and pretty much that’s it.

1 Like

So far, I would not place Trader Joe’s in the same category with Aldi…

To me, they are both specialty markets, at least what I’m drawn to when I go. Still need a good old fashioned American grocery for most of my shopping.

2 Likes

There have been stories in the press here (Houston) since the first of the year about Lidl, claiming Texas locations will follow close on the heels of those in NC, SC and VA. Supposedly one tract was already selected in Pearland but ran afoul of local regulations about being too close to a school and selling alcohol.

As with Aldi when it first came to town, all the potential locations that have been mentioned are in outlying areas and none is anywhere close to me.

But I’m looking forward to them and will find some excuse to visit one.

1 Like

The Braunsshweiger in my local Aldi’s in Queens, NY is priced at $2.09 a pound. It’s very good but over twice the price others are implying.
The atmosphere is reminiscent of a 99 cent store that sells mostly food. I would never go if it wasn’t 5 minutes from home, but the lure of milk at $2.09 a gallon and a dozen large eggs for $.99 gets me in the door 2-3 times a month.
Some of their canned goods are OK. Their produce is terrible. And obviously every store is different since the one near me does not sell alcohol.

Everything’s more expensive in the city! Even Aldi :wink:

I just realized, the 99 cents liverwurst was Wunderbar brand, which was better than any other to me. But somehow Boars Head made them disappear with their strong arm tactics, and all I see at my usual deli counters is 100% Boars Head brand. At triple the price, of course.

You’re paying less than $.99 for a dozen eggs and $2.09 for a gallon of milk???
I think it’s just individual store pricing.
btw, Aldi’s brand Braunschweiger is “Deutsche Kuche”. The label says “Inspired by Germany”.