What food is worth the drive even if it's not in New Jersey? (neighboring states only please)

Driving to other states got me thinking… one day we should invade another states HO down.

1 Like

You know what I forgot to mention here? Little Sicily 2 in Philadelphia. At first it all sounds normal, but then you find the Indian cheesesteaks on the menu. Workers there would make them for their lunch and customers saw and were like what is that I want one. They got put on the menu.

Things like Tandoori Fries, Tandoori Chicken Cheesesteak, Spicy Cheesesteaks, veggie options too, Indian pizza too:

1 Like

What a great idea for a thread. I’ll have to give it some thought.

Steve’s Prince of Steaks. Philadelphia and Langhorne PA.

1 Like

Good to see you here, @ebchower !

Well well well…look who it is!! Welcome!!! Thanks for joining us, hope you enjoy the new digs. Just a FYI here are a couple threads you should check out my friend;

This will show you who is over here locally;

1 Like

J&G TEXAS WEINERS: http://www.jgtexasweiners.com/index.html. I live in Point Pleasant and make the trip once a month! Buy 10, get 1 free.

Hey @jetermacaw, I grew up in Green Brook. I’ve been going to J&G ever since I was a little kid. They have the best sauce. If you’re ever up near Union, NJ, Manny’s Texas Weiner has the same (or very similar sauce) as it’s a relative of one of the Dunellen owners.

I love the hot dogs J&G uses, Grote & Weigel. You can find them in supermarkets up north more… Connecticut maybe?

8 On The Break !!

For awhile there in the 90’s or so 8 On The Break carried a line of drinks from the Skeleteens. They were interesting.

Fukola Cola, Black Lemonade (it was totally black), and I remember one called Brain Wash. It came in 3 colors and would turn your poop colored for days! This stuff was so strong, I didn’t finish a bottle once so I dumped it into the sink. It instantly adhered to the sink. Water wouldn’t wash it off. I had to scrub. There were others I can’t remember.

I’ve been going to 8 On The Break since the 80’s. The odd thing is one day in the 90’s my friends and I took a trip to Montrose, Pennsylvania. They have a dirt bike track there. Pay one price you can ride the whole weekend. The guy who owns it’s last name is Ed Montrose (same name as the town he moved to) and he’s the old owner of 8 On The Break! He was describing where he used to live and I said oh I currently live right around the corner from there. Small world.

1 Like

lol memories!!! I never had the drinks you are referring to I use to go there mid-80’s a friend of mine from high school (Bishop Ahr in Edison) lived relatively close to 8. He use to get a liter of peppermint schapps we would drink it in the woods (somewhere) and walk to 8 to hang out. Good times!

There use to be a bar around the corner (towards Plainfield) on the side street right off 28. Had been there forever use to have a private room in the back. Do you remember the place?

Gotta be Tanoreen, Bay Ridge in Brooklyn: http://tanoreen.com/

This 8 on the break place sounds amazing. Is it still around?

And Indian Cheesesteak?? Get out of town, I have to have this in my mouth!!

1 Like

8 On The Break isn’t as good as it sounds. Small arcade. One or two pool tables. Maybe 30 games total? They have fighting tournaments and dance type game tournaments. Also a room with about 8 or so pinballs. The carpet has been there forever. The owner, Chris, once told me he gets his cheesesteak meat directly from Philly. I didn’t really care for their cheesesteaks. It operates on quarters when a lot of arcades have switched to a pay one price for all you can play model.

One or two pool tables? Why in my 30+ year old minds eye do I remember a dozen tables???

@NotJrvedivici I think they have 2. Up front at one point they had one also I believe, but it gets in the way if you’re playing games on that row.

PS - I should have added Walter’s Hot Dogs to my list. It’s in Mamaroneck, NY. Cost a lot to go there from NJ with gas and a large toll going over the bridge.

They serve hot dogs split down the middle then grilled in butter I believe. They’re a special blend of veal and pork I believe. They also have their own special mustard.

If you go there in the summer you can eat out doors. Pretty nice area with trees and down the road is water, although I’ve never went down there.

When I go there I usually order 20 or 30 hot dogs to go and eat a few there. Fries are pretty good too.

1 Like

If I drove from NJ for the sole purpose of going to Walters I would not be happy … but that is just my opinion

1 Like

Um, that dog does not look good to me…

1 Like

That is a very sad looking dog to me.

1 Like

It’s much more typical of what I found in Scandinavia but not good like the ones there … not for everyone … I also just hate split dogs

1 Like