What do you expect your waiters/waitresses to know?

Just thought this sentiment bears repeating.

3 Likes

… on a public forum? I’d rather find it presumptuous.

Public Service Announcement

I’m sorry ladies and gentlemen there seems to be something in the water tonight. {{reaching across the table removing the half consumed water glasses}} I’m just going to remove these from the table, I suggest we all just sit and pause few minutes, let whatever it is was get through our systems.

Tell ya what, next round of drinks are on me! Till then let’s just relax! Have a nice night peeps.

5 Likes

Thanks Not. I’ll take a Jameson’s neat. Usually in this heat & humidity I stick to something lighter like a g&t or v&t. But I suddenly feel the need for something more bracing.

2 Likes

My pleasure! As you may or may not know, I’m currently not drinking so please excuse me that I can’t join you. I did however pour two so please enjoy mine for me!

1 Like

Yes, I recall your diagnosis from the other site. Didn’t mean to tempt you . . . I’ll order you a t&t.

2 Likes

Not when the reminder was already posted upthread. If there is no constructive discussion, I’d ask that you leave this discussion, as I indicated in a separate private message to you. Thank you.

4 Likes

I don’t mind asking the price when it’s just Mark and I. (Well, I do mind, but not much.) What drove me crazy was when friends took us out to a graduation dinner for their daughter. They were paying, so I don’t want to order something ridiculously expensive, and I am a terrible judge of what restaurants might charge for a given dish. So when the waiter listed the specials, I just ignored them, because asking for the prices when someone else is paying looks tacky.

2 Likes

Oh please tempt me all you like!!! (t&t?)

1 Like

I hear you- I think it’s awful that we get put in a situation where we should feel badly asking about how we are about to spend our(or our company’s) money.

1 Like

I expect my waiter/waitress to know not to come to my table smelling like anything, especially not cigarettes. I hate to admit what a hypocrite I am as an ex-smoker, even when I was managing restaurants myself. However I cannot stand a slightest scent of cigarette smoke on a waitress is an immediate turn off from my meal.

Like I said I’m a hypocrite because I would say 75% of restaurant workers smoke, but GOD I cannot stand that now.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, as you have said, many restaurant workers are smokers.

Waiter (male) will be better? Just kidding.

3 Likes

I have to admit to not reading every reply on here, (but enough to know that I did NOT want to read every reply on here), so if I am repeating what someone else has said, forgive me, but my take:

I eat at a lot of mom and pops and not many haute cuisines at all. My standards would be different for each.

At my usual mom and pops there is typically a large turnover of waitstaff. I don’t expect much expertise from teens or twenty-somethings when it comes to the prep but I’ll often ask what they like, what looks good, what sells a lot, what’s on tap, etc.

I don’t expect them to know the detailed ingredient list of a dish, or the difference between a compote and a confit. I just don’t.

At a high end place however, (or even a moderately priced “chef-driven” restaurant), I expect each service shift to begin with a staff meeting and exactly that kind of detail. I expect that staff to be more professionally prepared. See my review of Bramble in Houston for example.

The expectations are different. Apples and oranges.

P.S. Let’s eat!

2 Likes

Tonic & tonic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t know. It looks like a text face to me.

2 Likes

From past experiences I have low expectations of servers. Just bring me the food I ordered before it gets cold

2 Likes

Tanqueray & tonic.

3 Likes

Agreed; it’s all about context, for me. I have different expectations depending on the type of establishment - but the more money I’m shelling out, the higher my expectations for a knowledgeable, helpful server who can tell me the prices of the specials, let me know if the kitchen is running a bit slow, and answer questions about ingredients and prep.

4 Likes

I don’t know NotJr on HO, but JR on CH was diagnosed with diabetes and I don’t want to tempt him with alcohol. Maybe a t&l? (tonic and lemon?)

To bring my food and fill my wine glass . It’s not complicated . They have nothing to do with cooking the food . They can say all they want about how fresh the food is and how it’s cooked . Bottom line its good or it sucks .

3 Likes