What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

No pic but this morning a Bloody Mortitian, or what everyone calls a bloody mary. This recepie is peppercorn, celery seed and dill weed then muddle. Next add 1/4 lime and lemon and muddle. Clamato juice wih horseraddish, tobasco sauce and whorsestershire sauce with 1 oz of gin. Shake and pour and add dill pickle spear to glass with ice. Amount of gin is up to you. Serve in approx. 8oz glass.

2 Likes

A little Wild Turkey 101 after cleaning out my office this afternoon

The new stuff is tasting exceptionally good these days. From what I’ve heard a lot of their younger juice is going into their Longbranch product (thank you Matthew). So older barrels are going into the 101 and Russels Reserve

2 Likes

Good tip, thanks!

Anyone here familiar with Old Forester 100 proof? Got a bottle here in NC for around $24.99 and was pleasantly surprised by the rounded flavor and drinkability.

Haven’t had the pleasure. I’ve purchased the 1920 which I like

old Forester is getting a lot of love these days. The 100 proof rye is a favorite as well

A peach and apple cider for the Guinea hen cooked with calvados and the cider. 3%, very sweet and fruity.

A sweet potato Yamaneko Shochu for accompanying a Japanese meal.

A 25% alcohol, matured and stored for more than two years, this shochu has a unique, complete flavor. A medium light body, its distinctive fresh and sweet flavour goes down smoothly

4 Likes

this only skirts the periphery of the definition of ‘drinking’, but …

Cupping Eval. of my two latest trial roasts of one of the new green beans i picked up. Costa Rica Tarrazu, Finca San Francisco, Washed.

Left was a more aggressive roast profile shorter time, Right was less aggressive, longer time. The one on the right came out a bit lighter in degree, say, City+ vs Full City. Both delicious, but def. some difference in flavors.

3 Likes

Found this in a random mag- muddle a fennel bulb and fronds, add gin, green chartreuse, simple syrup, lime juice, shake. Strain, serve over ice, top with soda water, garnish. Tasted like spring.

I was lucky to find this fennel bulb in the garden this morning.

3 Likes

Made some ti punch this weekend, tried Death & co’s suggestion by using juice of half lime, Mr n prefers the classic with less lime and cane syrup and more the taste of rum.

2 Likes

I like Smuggler’s Cove’s recipe (which I think is pretty much the classic recipe), which is basically a teaspoon of cane syrup, 2 ounces of rhum agricole, mix, and then you cut out a quarter sized piece of the outside of a lime, squeeze a few drops of juice in it to your taste, and drop the peel in the drink. You can put ice in it or not, and adjust quantities as you like. Chacun prépare sa propre mort.

1 Like

Not today but a few months ago. I ordered an old fashioned from the bar in the Mob Museum in Las Vegas, and received a glass of ice and a book instead.

IMG_7137

However, when you opened the book…

IMG_7136

IMG_7138

3 Likes

Cool presentation. I suspect a price to go with the theatrics

This was a little expensive at $14 but not super expensive for Vegas. As an aside I recommend checking out the Mob Museum (officially the National Museum of Organized Crime and Law Enforcement) if you’re in Vegas and have a couple hours or so to spare. They make their own moonshine too.

4 Likes

Very reasonable for Vegas

Martini for me (Wilder gin) and beer for DH.

3 Likes

A scant pour of the Dempsey’s Irish Whiskey I bought earlier this week.

Addicted to Patrón XO Coffee Liqueur lately. I bought it thinking of using for dessert. Pronounced coffee flavour with a chocolate aftertaste, very smooth, really like the hint of tequila. Great after dinner.

2 Likes

DH made a negroni and we shared one so I could use these vintage cocktail glasses from my mother-in-law.

5 Likes

Those were the days. Sigh.

Shared while hanging outside and doing some yard work.

2 Likes