What are you baking? May 2022

wow, that video made me want to buy a bunch of supplies and make a cake for no reason!

3 Likes

If it helps you can do something similar with the buttercream with regular boards, too.

Personally I’ve come to terms with not enjoying making layer cakes. I scarcely want to eat them and they require so much time and patience, so many steps, so much waiting between those steps. Not to mention the conditions (watching that video made me laugh to think of how lovely the temperature in her kitchen must be that the buttercream behaves so beautifully). I like looking at people making them, but I find myself so unsatisfied with the whole process when I bother and annoyed because I rarely want to eat the final product.
Obviously there are exceptions, but I’ve definitely decided to bake mostly simple cakes these days.

2 Likes

I need some ideas please. I’m going to a potluck on Wednesday which starts starts at 11.30 held outside. I have obligations on Monday and Tuesday. Any ideas what I can bake on Sunday and it will still be fresh on Wednesday. I would like something summery.

Can you bake and freeze then just thaw on Wednesday?

1 Like

Yes I can bake either on Saturday or Sunday

Do you have a oil based cake in your repertoire that you like? Oil based cakes stay fresh longer.

1 Like

Yes I do but would love to know which one you would recommend.

I went through my cake notes to see if one fit your description but I don’t have anything I consider “Spring-y”. My head keeps going to a Bundt , maybe lemon based…served with strawberries if they are available. But I don’t have a specific cake to recommend☹️.

2 Likes

Thanks for your time. I just found out a friend is making a carrot cake. I’ll keep searching.

You could a blueberry or raspberry bar and they should freeze well. Otherwise something like whoopie pies freeze well and are easy to defrost by the time you need them.

Hi @Stef_bakes:

Here is a really delicious and forgiving whole-orange-olive-oil cake:

I have made this often, in bundt form, in cupcakes, with glaze, with just a sugar dusting, etc. It is really good, especially if you use a little almond flour and a few drops of almond essence, and add basil or rosemary into the mix. Yes, it uses a whole orange, skin and all, blended to a mash.

This may meet your needs as it is oil based, it is fresh and fruity, and maybe it will suit your occasion either in a bundt form or as cupcakes.

I don’t often bake but this one I repeat a couple of times a year. In fact I am going to make it tomorrow using strawberries and oranges because the strawberries are coming in faster than we can eat them.

2 Likes

Amazing!!

I love the idea of a lemon pound cake with strawberries! My usual bake-ahead is an orange olive oil cake these days, but I’ve made this lemon one often in the past @Stef_bakes.

Gets better as it sits, but for so many days. I’d go with @Nannybakes’ advice to freeze.

Would be nice with macerated strawberries - or ice cream!

As others suggested, I would do a pound cake, probably lemon. These keep incredibly well, even improve with a few days, and are a terrific foil for berry flavors. To meet your “summery” criteria, I’d make a coulis or sauce from whatever ripe local berry is in season for you (where I am, strawberry season started four days ago.) Coulis could be made ahead and frozen, or made the day of. A fresh-fruit sauce (macerated strawberries) could be made the morning of the party.

I love ina’s lemon pound cake.

To make it festive, you could pile fresh, prepped berries on top of the cake, then drizzle the coulis or sauce over. A couple of herb sprigs and you got yourself a very pretty cake :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oops forgot the link! Here it is @Stef_bakes .

It’s an oil cake with buttermilk for added tang and richness, but I’ve often used yogurt instead (just thin it a bit).

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have printed your recipes out. I have decided that since there will be carrot cake and everyone raves about it, I will make a strawberry rhubarb galette. I will make the pastry on Sunday and get up early on Wednesday to bake. Will serve whip cream on the side. Thanks again, you are all so generous.

6 Likes

On Saturday I go Mooncakes & Milk Bread as a gift. Couldn’t wait to bake from it so made the milk bread. This isn’t bread it’s like cake🙂. The crumb is so soft and there is a sweet taste to it. First time working with tangzhong. My husband is still sleeping, hope he likes it as much as I did. Had it with my strawberry rhubarb jam.

P.s. so easy to download pictures on this site

14 Likes

Made a few Vietnamese baguettes because I wanted some crusty bread to eat with menemen. Honestly surprised they even turned out this well because I was making them while also making my yogurt and honey buns and making lunch. So it got a bit hairy with the timing and making sure the rolls would come out with time to spare to crank the oven up by 100 degrees and get it nice and steamy for baguettes while also making the meatballs, rice, and vegetables.:joy:.

The honey and yogurt buns are for selling to a woman who fell in love with my honey butter potato rolls and bought a batch from me. I told her she would love these, too, and she has told me to bring her bread whenever I make any and that she absolutely must pay me for them.

13 Likes

I know, I love that Milk bread. I have so many of the variations marked to try!

1 Like

Yes I know. I’m very anxious to make the pastry with the cream cheese with bits of rhubarb on top and the nutella bread

2 Likes