What are you baking? May 2022

Beautiful! Cake looks perfect. And only 3 cupcakes after all that measuring and fretting? Ah, well, enough for the cook’s bonus quality-check sample.

1 Like

Gorgeous!

I double-checked my Bundt Squared pan - no size on mine either. For a pan that’s still made, it’s often easier to just check the Nordic Ware site – the pan name and the size are well-hidden on several of mine. https://www.nordicware.com/products/bundt-squared-pan/

1 Like

I followed the recipe carefully but my glaze does not cascade over the cake in a white heap like on Mig’s cake.

1 Like

Perhaps a little less liquid would make a thicker glaze but for the square pan you used, I think the lighter glaze is perfect.

1 Like

Thinking back, maybe I was a little casual measuring the lemon juice, didn’t want to discard a teaspoon or so.

At some point, I add the liquid drop by drop. Would you consider a light dusting of confectionery sugar along the outer edges of the top of the cake?. If so, I would do it just prior to delivery.

2 Likes

Here I took a few days off HO and I missed you making my favorite cake of all time! I’m so sorry!

Yours looks amazing.

When will you eat it? Tomorrow?

The “theatrical” glaze thing is… difficult. To be honest, I always have to tweak the quantities. (Even when the recipe is Rose’s, and I say that with some trepidation because she really is right and trustworthy with every detail.) I always have to add a LOT more sugar to get it thick enough and white enough. Then I find I need a smidge more liquid, but a few drops is too many so I add more sugar, and… you get the idea.

3 Likes

In a lemon loaf recipe Ina has you apply the glaze twice. The first glaze disappears into the loaf and the second glaze stays on top. The second glaze was applied about an 1/2 hr later. I have done this and it works

3 Likes

This recipe is like Ina Garten’s, it has a lemon syrup made from lemon juice and granulated sugar that goes on the hot cake, and then a powdered-sugar glaze that goes on once it’s cooled.

1 Like

my favorite glaze is from Ottolenghi’s blueberry almond lemon cake - ⅔ cup/70 grams confectioners’ sugar (icing sugar) + 1 T lemon juice . it’s the perfect consistency.

4 Likes

Mom removed the yolks from two hard-boiled eggs recently, so I decided to use them to make Viennese butter cookies. A touch more salt would have been good, but this type of cookie always tastes best a day later, so I’ll know better tomorrow.

10 Likes

So, I’m dropping it off to the birthday boy tonight. I haven’t sampled the 3 cupcakes. They are wrapped in foil … even though I know they are there, if I don’t see them I’m not tempted. One is for him to eat so he can take the cake home intact for his family!

2 Likes

Peanut Butter cookies from Snackable Cakes by Jessie Sheehan via Vanilla baking Blog. No mixer required. They come together quickly but I did refrigerate dough because it was very soft. Dough is rolled in sugar and sprinkled with flaked salt. I used #40 scoop baked for 12 minutes and got 32 cookies 2" wide. Recipe said makes 16. Those must be huge. These remind me of sugar cookies with a taste of peanut butter.

10 Likes

I made these cookies! I loved them. I added milk chocolate chips. I tested some recipes for Snackable Bakes - you can see my name in the acknowledgements!

7 Likes

You realize as the baker it’s your duty to do quality assurance, no? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I brought my friend his cake and we shared his cupcake. I wasn’t wowed by the cupcake, probably because it didn’t have much syrup and glaze … I wanted to make sure I had plenty for the cake.

I’m certain they will love the cake!

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

My wedding cake!

16 Likes

Congratulations! It’s beautiful. What kind of cake is it?