What are you baking? May 2022

I’ve finally had a chance to catch up on this thread, wow so many delicious looking scone recipes to try and pretty fruit tarts to look at.

Stef_bakes: it sounds like you’ve decided, but if you find that you don’t want to do the galette, what about thumbprints with a good peach jam, peach is so summery to me. I find that cookies freeze and defrost very well. I made cookies as favors for my wedding a month ahead and defrosted them 2 days ahead and they were fresh tasting.
Bonus cookie favor pics:

13 Likes

I so agree on the temperature issues with buttercream, it’s a struggle especially when other people are trying to turn up the heat while you’re trying to keep things cool enough to work for more than 10 min at a time!

These days, I never make layer cakes & frosting unless it’s for a birthday or other special occasion either. Which means I’m always out of practice, of course XD

1 Like

Really beautiful flowers and table setting. Congratulations! Your cake was gorgeous as well.

Oh thank you, that’s so nice of you to say. I DIYed everything but the catering so that’s really gratifying to read. My sister and I joked that weddings are how we level up our crafting and handyman skills. But to be fair, flowers are way easier now that organic centerpieces are trendy and perfectly rounded is out!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I can totally tell you’re out of practice!:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Lovely!

I made the buttermilk biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream from Bravetart a couple of days ago. The biscuits were easy enough to make but didn’t rise very much. I macerated the strawberries overnight and made her make-ahead whipped cream. The next morning I assembled them in a small container and had it all for breakfast during my 2nd period break.

I’m not from the South so I don’t typically think of biscuits as part of “strawberry shortcake”. The biscuit was fine but didn’t add much to the mix. The strawberries were good after sitting overnight but they turned to an unpleasant mush after a further 24 hours. Stella says in her book that the extra sugar in the whipped cream recipe is what allows it to be made ahead and not deflate. That is true but it also makes the whipped cream too sweet for me.

The biscuits are too thin to easily split, heat, and have with dinner. Everything after the first dish was a waste and thrown away. Oh well. Live and learn.

5 Likes

Yeah her make-ahead whipped cream is inedible for me and I wouldn’t macerate the berries longer than a couple of hours at the most for shortcake. For shortcake I think a scone (sweeter, short, made with cream) is better than a biscuit.

My mother always made biscuits for shortcake but she added some sugar. Unfortunately I didn’t learn from her so I don’t know exactly what she did. I have a recipe of Nathalie Dupree 's from Southern Biscuits I’ve wanted to try. The biscuit type shortcake is what I prefer. I never could understand how people could eat those spongecakes from the grocery store.

3 Likes

I love strawberry shortcake using biscuits, if you ever want to try it again, I like the King Arthur never fail biscuit recipe using their sweet cream biscuit variation (under the baker’s tips at the bottom) https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/never-fail-biscuits-recipe
It’s fast and easy, which makes it convienent when you want your make your biscuit last minute so that they are warm to contrast with the cool whipped cream & strawberries.
If you can have pork, I like the gelatin method for stabilizing whipped cream. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8351-stabilizing-whipped-cream

3 Likes

Also, a lot of the time she put the dough in a 9x9 inch pan and then cut it into squares to be split instead of rolling and cutting.

Beef gelatin is also an option and I have to admit I really like it more than pork. It has no scent the way powdered pork gelatin does.
I like no stabilizers when it comes to shortcake, but adding crème fraiche or cream cheese can also add some stability.

This guy was doing some testing of different options for making stabilized whipped cream and unsurprisingly modified starch won out in the form of instant pudding. Clearjel would be a better option, though not as cheap.

While I love Asian strawberry shortcakes, when it comes to American style I’m also team biscuit, just that the biscuit in question is actually a scone.

2 Likes

I’m with the biscuit/scone crowd for shortcake.

Cooks Illustrated has a good cream biscuit recipe which is close to scone territory:

280 g. AP flour
1 t. sugar
2 t. baking powder
5/8 t. salt
1 1/2 c. cold heavy cream

KAF has good cream scone recipe (I’m working on variations of this recipe right now):

360 g. AP flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. table salt
1/4 to 1/3 c. sugar, to taste
1 t. vanilla extract
300 g. heavy cream + more as needed

Either of these are great for shortcake.

5 Likes

I don’t see a June discussion yet, so here’s a quick report on today’s experimental success to use up an “extra” egg yolk from Monday’s COTM recipe. Microwaved Vanilla Mug cake – What Land O Lakes calls Birthday Party Mug Cake

Very easy and makes a basic white/yellow cake. The batter books like a heavy thick mass before cooking but makes a tall, nicely sweet, fluffy cake – enough for us 2 to split and enjoy after lunch. The teaspoon of decorator sprinkles adds color and fun-factor. No ice cream or whipped cream needed – this was good just as-is. And it’s so nice to not be storing/freezing extra portions.

8 Likes

Sounds delicious!
No microwave anymore, but should be good for steaming if ever I get a cake craving.

1 Like

Beautiful baguettes! May I ask what recipe? Thanks.

1 Like

New month!

1 Like

Thank you!
This time I made these with
230 g water
7 g salt
7 g sugar
5 g instant yeast
270 g bread flour
65 g AP flour
10 g softened butter

Just mix all until gluten is very strong and crawls up the hook, which will take at least 10 minutes at medium speed.
Proofing is going to be different because it’s very hot here so usually 40-50 minutes is enough, but probably 1 hour in less extreme conditions. I made 4 baguettes with this and they’re perfect for sandwiches for me at this size, but you can go with two for a bigger sandwiches. Bake with steam at 450 for 15-20 minutes.
Cool in oven with the door propped open.

This other recipe is my go-to:

I like to use lard for the fat if I have it, and I prefer to use the mixer because Vietnamese baguettes require really strong gluten development to get their characteristic fluffy texture.

3 Likes

I baked a Bakewell Tart recipe from Baking with Dorie because the guild chat turned to the queens jubilee. There are several British members in our guild. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

2 Likes

Note all - Caitlin has updated this - it’s for JUNE.