What are You Baking? March 2024

Do you take out the pan halfway through baking and then bang the pan?

Do you think the recipe can be doubled?

Yes. And yes.

1 Like

I might have tried spritzing them with water on the tray if it was a matter of liquid.

Thanks for this tip! We have a lovely local baking shop in Cambridge, MA, called Elmendorf, and they mill corn, pastry wheat, bread wheat, and ancient grains including Danko rye. When I am ready for rye baking, I’ll be going to get fresh milled flour along with their best-ever chocolate chip cookie and one of their delicious sandwiches. I didn’t know of the difference in rising time.

4 Likes

Thanks for this… I will put it in my mental file should this happen again.

I did a tiny bit of research last night that suggested I probably couldn’t save them. I think if the flavor had been good, I might have tried harder by adding some additional liquid of some kind, but they were already kind of wan, and I figured more liquid wouldn’t help that. Unless I had had an actual lemon to make the liquid be lemon juice, which I did not.

1 Like

Cocoa question! Can I make this cake with Dutch-processed cocoa?

Yes. In fact lots of recipes for chocolate mayo cakes call for Dutch process. It’s an old-timey recipe, so it makes sense it would call for natural, but the one you linked is mostly leavened with baking powder, so Dutch process should be good.

1 Like

Thank you @Shellybean !!!

2 Likes

Does anyone own “All about cookies” by Christina Tosi? I have a TON of ritz crackers to use up and would love her recipe for RC cookies. Thanks!

@sallyt

3 Likes

Afghani Naan

12 Likes

@saregama - thanks! I found that too but the ingredients in her book have weight and the instructions are different -I found this tiktok but the directions are blurry

My library has the ebook — I’ll send it to you a bit later.

1 Like

Thank you @Saregama ! Not available in my system -

Have you tried like icebox pie made with Ritz? Everyone always loves it!

1 Like

no! Do you have a recipe? Thanks @Shellybean

I double the amount of lime juice (or more since I do it by taste). Kinda kills me how crowd-pleasing this is compared to more labor-intensive stuff :joy:.

6 Likes

Sent.

I’ve made matzoh crack with ritz crackers, and it’s fantastic (toffee + melted chocolate). I think it has a name (or a few), but I ate it first with matzoh so I never remember the saltine or ritz name :joy:

4 Likes

I’ve made this pie, and loved it.

2 Likes

Those are just my type! Yum.

1 Like