What are you baking? June 2022

Oh that sounds lovely! tell me more about it!

1 Like

I made the nectarine/brown butter buckle from Smitten Kitchen yesterday.

It is delicious, but how could it not be with nectarines and brown butter being the star ingredients?

I used mango nectarines from the farmers’ market. They aren’t a hybrid; they are nectarines that taste like mangoes. They are fantastic.

I start with more than 3/4 cup of butter because some evaporates during browning and you’re supposed to end up with 3/4 cup. I ended up with a little extra. My dog thought he’d gone to heaven.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/07/nectarine-brown-butter-buckle/

8 Likes

That sounds soooooo good!

1 Like

This brings to mind Melissa Clark’s brown butter nectarine cobbler cake, which is really delicious made with any stone fruit. Here’s a non-paywalled version that’s accurate to the original.

1 Like

ACCESS! I just had such a big flashback to grad school.

I love that cake so much and yours looks incredible. I make it every year.

5 Likes

Earl Grey scones with some of my mango and passion fruit jam and a sort of mock clotted cream. The scones are so good on their own that really the toppings are superfluous, but I wanted to make use of the jam.

7 Likes

More cream scones. Today’s version includes 25% white whole wheat flour, and I whisked a little honey into the cream before whipping it. The King Arthur recipe calls for 12 small scones, but instead I made 8 big ones.

7 Likes

King Arthur’s Sourdough Discard Biscuits. I made a half recipe, and cut it into two giant biscuits. Served with a choice of home-picked/homemade jam: blueberry or blackberry (or both!).

10 Likes

Everything is threatening to melt once it’s outside for like 5 seconds, so not the tidiest photo, but this is chocolate hazelnut pavé. It’s flourless chocolate cake, chocolate-praline mousse, and chocolate ganache.

16 Likes

That looks and sounds delicious.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s really good. The guy who painted our house recently keeps coming by once in a while and has helped my mom out with a few things, so I told him to come by sometime because I’ve been wanting to make chocolate mousse and he’s a chocolate fanatic. He loved the chocolate bundt I made for him when he asked my mom if I could bake him a chocolate cake :joy:.

2 Likes

I’ve been on a baking hiatus for pretty much the whole year for (reasons), but I’ve really been itching to get back in the swing of things, so I baked mocha-chip muffins from Baking With Dorie (the recipe terms them mochaccino muffins, but I hate the term), most of which were immediately dispatched to family and friends, all of whom quickly got back to tell me they loved them. This is the recipe, and you’ll find the details of my bake here.

10 Likes

It was lovely! I should have taken it out maybe 5 minutes earlier, but it disappeared very quickly at work, and I got a few complements, and a request for the recipe…

1 Like

strawberry shortcake. one of my all-time favorite anythings.

shortcake

i made half a biscuit recipe and got four shortcakes. the dough is very shaggy and i had to drizzle in additional buttermilk to get it to behave, but i really enjoy the results.

10 Likes

Apricot tart with crushed hazelnuts. The base was swiped with a little apricot jam and some Moondust, followed by the apricots and hazelnuts. Glazed with some apricot jam after baking,

I usually make this with pistachios but thought I’d try hazelnuts this time. Serving with crème fraîche. The crust is Dorie’s butter/olive oil from her Riviera tart.

20 Likes

That’s beautiful

Thank you, I love apricots!

1 Like

Rhubarb tart, a recipe from Pierre Hermé. I try to make it whenever I can get hold of fresh rhubarb. Frozen rhubarb works, but they are mushy vs the firmer fresh version. Mixed caster sugar with the rhubarb overnight or at least 6-8 hours, drained. The tart case dough “pâte sucrée” has almond and vanilla powder besides the usual ingredient. Blind bake in oven for 12-15 minutes, added the rhubarb and poured the almond paste all over, baked for another 15 minutes.

13 Likes

I need to make this. My rhubarb patch is whoa.

1 Like

I have grown rhubarb in the past, the leaves looked beautiful but not all of the branches had that tartness. Wondered why…

1 Like