What are you baking? June 2022

Thank you!

1 Like

I def preferred the apricot ones. Amazing how much apricots intensify after cooking. I don’t care much about them fresh.

2 Likes

Right up my alley!!

Looks amazing: will have to try!

Kitchen sink cookies: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/kitchen-sink-cookies/
Meh. This blogger is usually very reliable, so may have been user error. If I were to make again, I would definitely add the oats with the flour rather than the mix-ins

3 Likes

Also made the rosemary loaf cake I love. The sugar crust is so wonderful in this.
This cake tastes better a day later.

8 Likes

Had some bad baking luck this week-end, so I went with a previously successful cake to take in for our first in-person meeting since… March 2020! From Snacking Cakes: https://helengracebakes.medium.com/a-swirled-jam-cake-for-2021-519bcc185233
I doubled it and baked in a 9x13. I used a jar of my strawberry vanilla jam from last spring, which may have been too chunky…

10 Likes

Wow that’s an enticing series of photos of beautiful scones!

1 Like

that’s been a bucket-list recipe for me for a while. i haven’t attempted it largely because i’ve also never eaten on it!

agree - i have literally never eaten an apricot that made me swoon, but i’ve eaten many apricot-including baked goods that did!

1 Like

would love to know more about this recipe, if it’s available?

I add about a teaspoon of salt (5-6 g) and use 3 tsp baking powder with AP flour— 1 tsp per 100 grams of flour called for. Technically you only need two since the recipe calls for only 210 g self-raising flour, but I decided to just use three. In NYC I’d buy little bags of self-raising flour at Greek or Balkan shops since European self-raising flour is different from American (no salt being the biggest difference).

The Paris-Brest is wonderful . Once you have your praline made, it’s pretty straightforward. Because the pastry cream is meant to be used as part of the mousseline rather than as a standalone filling, I make it with whole egg rather than yolks, so no leftover egg whites. Think of the flavor a little like peanut butter and caramel but it’s hazelnuts instead.

3 Likes

mig, fwiw, if you are back into NYC at some point, Frenchette had had a Paris Brest on their menu for at least six months. It’s filled with a pistachio crème and is very, very rich.

1 Like

Orzata cake…almond syrup, olive oil , yogurt and crushed flaked toasted almonds are the flavoring elements of the cake. Brushed with the almond syrup and then dusted with confectionery sugar. I served it with sliced strawberries and vanilla bean gelato.

13 Likes

That cake is right up my alley.

2 Likes

My fourth and final experimental bake of the KAF cream scone recipe.

This version had 50% whipped cream, and 50% butter-and-milk. I went with the higher amount of sugar listed in the recipe, whereas with all previous bakes I went with the lower amount. The extra sugar pushed the buttery taste from the forefront, which to me was an improvement (without it, it was a little like eating a spoon full of butter).

These were good! I’ll happily make either the all-whipped-cream version, or the sweetened-with-whipped-cream-and-butter version again, depending on the outcome I’m looking for.

Now I’m ready to move on to a new scone recipe.

13 Likes

Gorgeous

Cake was a big hit at work: many people asked how I got it so fluffy and light! I used a mix of sour cream and yogourt…

3 Likes

Stella Park’s chocolate scones. Quite yums, but I subbed 85% dark choc for milk choc, and then was wishing I had added an extra tbsp of sugar. Next time - as I’m sure there will be one!

11 Likes

PISTACHIO CREME oh my heart!!!

1 Like