What are you baking? June 2022

I have been eating blueberries from my next-door neighbors’ bushes for breakfast (they brought over a bagful), and they are exceptionally good this year.

4 Likes

I have blueberry envy! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Buttermilk Cake … which recipe?

The raspberry buttermilk cake

Also featured on Smitten Kitchen

3 Likes

I do love date squares: I haven’t had one for ages…

1 Like

Two mini tarts just out of the oven…pâte sucrée, chocolate shavings on the base, almond crème and apricots, a little jam on top to glaze. Convection Bake for 30 minutes, the bottom of the crust is a lovely golden brown. Even though this is only about 3” across, I think we will split one…with a little crème fraîche on the side.

15 Likes

One of my very very very very faves: sour cherry slab pie.

sour cherry slab pie

I’ve made this for at least five years now, and it never gets old. The cherry quantity creates essentially a single layer, so you get so much crust in every bite. It’s just delicious.

16 Likes

I’m a huge fan of that recipe, too!

1 Like

Do you make any adjustments?

I keep forgetting that I don’t need the ***ing parchment, and it annoys me that I forget because it makes cutting the damn thing a PITA.

I also did a fold of her pie dough (didn’t have time to do a second fold) this time and I really liked the results.

The sour cherry slab pie looks awesome! Have you ever tried making a smaller version in a quarter sheet pan?

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve definitely made smaller versions. This is actually the first time I ever had the pan size the recipe calls for!

The difference between a quarter sheet pan and a jelly roll pan is pretty small, so I probably made the dough quantity that the recipe called for, and just trimmed. The cherry quantity would be slightly less as well, of course.

2 Likes

Thank you. This sounds great. If I can get to our sour cherries this year before the birds do, I’ll give it a go. I love slab pies.

1 Like

Made more rhubarb tart, used another source of rhubarb and used another flour. It’s amazing the big difference in taste and texture in contrast to those mini tarts, using the same recipe. A lot more tart and more cookie.

11 Likes

I tend to use my usual pie dough, which is often Kenji’s recipe from Serious Eats, and I just use a quarter sheet tray. I like lining with aluminum foil rather than foil, though it’s been a while since I last made this, so I don’t recall any annoyance from doing so. Maybe I’ll use my frozen sour cherries to make one of these!

1 Like

I’m a fan Kenji’s Easy Pie Crust, although I sub some of the butter with leaf lard. This recipe differs just slightly from his Buttery Flaky Pie Crust.

In the off season, I’ll often use a combination of canned Montmorency cherries and dried Montmorency cherries. I have some of those around, along with one paltry cup of frozen from last year. Maybe I should just make a filling from all those, dump it in and call it pie. I bet it gets eaten.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Won’t you be my neighbor?

2 Likes

I use his easy pie crust made in the food processor and I think it’s wonderful. The other link is Stella’s all-butter crust, which is rough puff. I like rough puff, but I don’t like it when blind baked as I always find it’s kind of tough (some might say crisp, but rough puff because of the necessary water content makes for a tougher crust). Plus I also sort of feel it’s not really pie crust. It’s delicious, but different. Also having made a lot of rough puff I have recipes I prefer over Stella’s.
Rough puff is really good for something like this particular pie, though.

1 Like

A sweet cherry raspberry turnover in a 6x9” pan. @MunchkinRedux Sprung a leak as I overfilled it , knowingly, couldn’t resist adding in the last of the cherries.

6 Likes

Perfect size!

I’ve made it with peaches/blueberries, etc. I usually cut a vent or two with a decorative cutter…but I didn’t, I think it’s a good thing to vent! In this size, one piece of dough is easy to handle.
ETA…given that it’s a turnover, no need to use a pan, a silpat lined cookie sheet would work just as well.

1 Like