What are you baking? June 2022

More cream scones. Today’s version includes 25% white whole wheat flour, and I whisked a little honey into the cream before whipping it. The King Arthur recipe calls for 12 small scones, but instead I made 8 big ones.

7 Likes

King Arthur’s Sourdough Discard Biscuits. I made a half recipe, and cut it into two giant biscuits. Served with a choice of home-picked/homemade jam: blueberry or blackberry (or both!).

10 Likes

Everything is threatening to melt once it’s outside for like 5 seconds, so not the tidiest photo, but this is chocolate hazelnut pavé. It’s flourless chocolate cake, chocolate-praline mousse, and chocolate ganache.

16 Likes

That looks and sounds delicious.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s really good. The guy who painted our house recently keeps coming by once in a while and has helped my mom out with a few things, so I told him to come by sometime because I’ve been wanting to make chocolate mousse and he’s a chocolate fanatic. He loved the chocolate bundt I made for him when he asked my mom if I could bake him a chocolate cake :joy:.

2 Likes

I’ve been on a baking hiatus for pretty much the whole year for (reasons), but I’ve really been itching to get back in the swing of things, so I baked mocha-chip muffins from Baking With Dorie (the recipe terms them mochaccino muffins, but I hate the term), most of which were immediately dispatched to family and friends, all of whom quickly got back to tell me they loved them. This is the recipe, and you’ll find the details of my bake here.

10 Likes

It was lovely! I should have taken it out maybe 5 minutes earlier, but it disappeared very quickly at work, and I got a few complements, and a request for the recipe…

1 Like

strawberry shortcake. one of my all-time favorite anythings.

shortcake

i made half a biscuit recipe and got four shortcakes. the dough is very shaggy and i had to drizzle in additional buttermilk to get it to behave, but i really enjoy the results.

10 Likes

Apricot tart with crushed hazelnuts. The base was swiped with a little apricot jam and some Moondust, followed by the apricots and hazelnuts. Glazed with some apricot jam after baking,

I usually make this with pistachios but thought I’d try hazelnuts this time. Serving with crème fraîche. The crust is Dorie’s butter/olive oil from her Riviera tart.

20 Likes

That’s beautiful

Thank you, I love apricots!

1 Like

Rhubarb tart, a recipe from Pierre Hermé. I try to make it whenever I can get hold of fresh rhubarb. Frozen rhubarb works, but they are mushy vs the firmer fresh version. Mixed caster sugar with the rhubarb overnight or at least 6-8 hours, drained. The tart case dough “pâte sucrée” has almond and vanilla powder besides the usual ingredient. Blind bake in oven for 12-15 minutes, added the rhubarb and poured the almond paste all over, baked for another 15 minutes.

13 Likes

I need to make this. My rhubarb patch is whoa.

1 Like

I have grown rhubarb in the past, the leaves looked beautiful but not all of the branches had that tartness. Wondered why…

1 Like

Raspberries are in, so I went and picked some. Sometimes when I pick them, I find they’ve become mushy within hours, but these survived a couple days in the fridge (it was very cool when I picked them, that’s part of the reason why.) I made jam with most of them, and with the remainder, one of my favorite summer cakes, a simple berry buttermilk cake.

raspberry buttermilk cake june 22

15 Likes

that’s my favorite cake with summer berries - I’ve made it with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc. I prefer it to her strawberry summer cake.

2 Likes

@mig and @sallyt is that SK buttermilk berry cake fairly idiot-proof? It has been many a long year since I did any baking but that cake appeals and I have company coming. Also, if you do think it’s idiot-proof, do you think I could reduce the sugar in the batter at all?

It’s one of the very easiest cakes I know. If you follow the directions, you’ll be fine! Feel free to ask questions here if you like :slight_smile:

Don’t reduce the sugar. The cake only has 2/3 cup.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of that cake and it’s very simple and easy for anyone. Deb’s weight measurements are a little off. 2/3 cup of sugar is 133 g, not 146, and that’s what I use (well, 130). That’s a difference of a tablespoon, which isn’t huge, though. It’s standard equal parts sugar as flour. I would not make the sugar less than the flour here because you have tart berries to account for.
Definitely make sure to use the full amount of sugar that gets sprinkled on top!

3 Likes

Gretchen, I’ve been making that cake since it was published in Gourmet in 2009. It is truly fool proof… I frequently bake it in an 8” cake mold rather than 9” and just bake a few minutes longer. Never had a fail.

3 Likes