What are you baking? July 2022

Has anyone dealt with a KA attachment not spinning properly? If I turn the mixer on it spins fine, but once I have an attachment on it spins but snags at one point and makes a terrible noise. So far I’m finding results that are either about bowl adjustments (which is not the problem) or no spinning at all.
But actually I just tried attaching the paddle without the bowl and it seems ok, so maybe it is a bowl problem.

Tahini chocolate chip cookies: for a friend that I saw for brunch this AM. https://www.davidlebovitz.com/salted-chocolate-chip-tahini-cookies-cookie-recipe/
I had forgotten how good these are!!

7 Likes

Snagging at the same point in the orbit? That and horrible noise make me think there might be a tooth broken or worn down in the gear assembly and not meshing properly.

But I’m not sure why it would go away without the bowl, if you don’t think it’s hitting the bowl. And simply resting your fingers outside the bowl near where it snags should tell you whether the implement is hitting the bowl. Maybe it’s a situation where a tooth on more than one gear is worn down and they only coincide every 2nd or 3rd pass?

I might be willing to put the bread hook on and, without bowl, try to restrict it in its motion on slowest speed. But I hesitate to suggest anyone else try this. (I take stupid risks I wouldn’t want others to try - remember Tim The Toolman Taylor? I’m kind of like that.)

My own problem with the KA stand mixer is the bowl is too low, even after using the adjustment screw to bring it up to the highest point. This isn’t a problem for bread dough, but when whisking to cream sugar/butter or making whipped cream, I actually pop the bowl off the attachment points and lift it about 5 mm until the whisk gets to full depth.

1 Like

A few days ago I made Drop-Biscuit Peach Cobbler from Everyday Dorie. I scaled up the recipe by 1/3 and baked in a 9x13 pan because I needed 8 servings. I totally could have made it as written - we dished up 8 very generous servings and had at least 1/3 of the pan left over. My notes say I made this last year and didn’t mention it being so dough-y. But it was still fine - delicious with Creme Fraiche ice cream from The Perfect Scoop.

Peaches are still a great value here, so I’ve got Peach Ice cream from The Perfect Scoop going, and am about to start on SK’s peach blueberry cobbler. It looks like a little less biscuit: fruit ratio.

10 Likes

Thanks. Yes, seems to be snagging at the same point.
I put the bowl on and I’m not getting that noise with it empty, but I think there is something in the background I can sort of hear, though it’s hard to make out with the overall noise the mixer makes.

Flo Braker’s coconut twist coffee cake looking like an alien creature. I feared this wouldn’t be sweet enough because the filling, which is basically a frangipane made with coconut, only calls for two tablespoons of sugar and the glaze is made with apricot jam, which is tangy.
I think I need to taste when completely cool to better determine, though. Right now I feel like a sweeter glaze was needed. Just a powdered sugar glaze with some coconut milk strikes me as a better choice.
I was so annoyed for making this dough without checking percentages. I upped the salt to 8 g right off the bat and used all the flour in one go because I already know Braker’s doughs always need all the flour listed in spite of her saying to add as needed. Still wish I had reduced the milk because as written this recipe produces a very loose dough if you use AP flour (as she calls for) that isn’t King Arthur’s, which is more absorbent, and even with the KA it still produces a dough that is very sticky. Most times I have to add quite a bit of flour while kneading to get a workable dough, and I’m actually used to handling wet doughs. To add to it I had to do this by hand due to the mixer issues. So it was a very messy, sticky process.

14 Likes

I love that your descriptions are so detailed even though I’ll probably never attempt most of the recipes!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I figure there might be someone out there baking either from the same book or wanting to make similar recipes sometimes, plus the notes help me to remember if I ever repeat.
Overall this is really good because the dough is super soft and light and the filling is nice. It’s just the glaze that I think detracts. This would be phenomenal with a sweet coconut glaze. I would put a little virgin coconut oil in addition to coconut milk in a powdered sugar glaze or use my favorite brown butter donut glaze made with coconut milk.

1 Like

we’ve been having a heatwave here in boston. as soon as the temperature drops below 90, i’m going to try these. can’t wait — and not just for the cookies:)

dorie greenspan’s caramel crunch chocolate cookies

3 Likes

Grand-daughter’s birthday cake, as specifically requested: white chocolate layers, cream cheese frosting, caramel drizzled on top.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 5.54.36 PM

She’s happy, I’m happy.

14 Likes

Wow, that looks and sounds delicious.

I have made them, and they are excellent!

1 Like

Wowser! I’d like to try that design with pülla. I can just imagine dipping a segment in my coffee.:coffee:

1 Like

Bought some beautiful raspberries, and made this cake: https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/raspberry-buttermilk-cake/. I don’t know how many times I’ve made it over the years, but it’s never failed! Brought it to a backyard dinner last night: the hosts had the rest forbreakfast…

12 Likes

Gorgeous! I haven’t made it with raspberries in a while and your beautiful photo makes me want to make it again soon.

1 Like

Dorie Greenspan’s carrot muffins, with zucchini added.

Veggies from the garden.

10 Likes

Sigh. That cake is just the best.

I tried a recipe for brown butter peach/blueberry cobbler from a new-to-me blog and was pleasantly surprised! My husband said it’s the best dessert I’ve made in a while and he liked it even better than the hot water blueberry cobbler that I made (and he really enjoyed) a few weeks ago. Notes: used 8 fresh peaches and a handful of blueberries, 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon and none of the other spices, it baked for less time than indicated in the recipe and I included a tablespoon of bourbon she indicates is optional. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a photo of the finished product - though I couldn’t resist a short video of the bubbling peach filling.

6 Likes

Trying to decide what to do with the rest of my apricots. I made the apricot slab pie, so I’m looking for something that is not pie.

Might make this take on German apricot cake.
Or this one.

My all-time favorite apricot thing is these apricot-pistachio-shortbread squares which are almost irrationally delicious. But I’ve made them many years in a row.

Or something else! What have you made lately that you liked?

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed this recipe. It calls for equal weights ground almonds and walnuts, but I’ve just made it using all almonds. It is delicious (and would also be without the lavender, for those who don’t care for it).

1 Like