What are you baking? April 2022

Had a Very Stressful Day at the office yesterday, and it was raining too hard to run after work. So instead I made cookies. I have been wanting to try black sesame in baking for a while, so tried this recipe: https://zhangcatherine.com/black-sesame-cookies/. Baked and sampled today. Very nice… fudgy interior. I would add a bit of salt to the batter if I made it again… they almost come out grey?

12 Likes

Interesting! Unique look.

If you like toasted black sesame in baked goods, you should make Alice Medrich’s Sesame Cake.

It delicious, bursting with sesame flavor. I serve it with citrus curd as I like how the acidity/tartness balances the toastiness of the sesame.

https://blog.lemonpi.net/2008/05/13/1616

4 Likes

Interested with black sesame in cookies, is it very sweet?

Fun idea! I think the furthest I’ve pushed is to use pavot poppy seeds with lemon.

Amaretti crumbs, yum! They make sense to keep the bottom sog-less!

I most frequently use “Moondust”…1T each of amaretti crumbs, flour, almond flour, sugar. I make up a batch to use in fruit galettes…but I ran out!

2 Likes

No it’s not, which I quite like. I would recommend trying it!

Ooh! Thank you!!! I realize that I forgot to toast the sesame in the recipe, but bet that would make it even better!

I have a Japanese grocery store close by so I buy toasted sesame seeds. For me, because they are small and oily it’s difficult not to burn them if I toast them myself.

I keep them in the freezer as due to their oiliness I find they go rancid quickly if left out.

1 Like

I keep them in the fridge, but yes, freezer would be even better…

1 Like

Cottage cheese biscuits from Baking with Dorie. Simple ingredients of flour butter,baking powder,baking soda,salt,cottage cheese and milk. They were very quick to make and had a nice crisp bite.

Add images here

11 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Whoa, i have both the book and the ingredients on hand! Tempting.

Black sesame baked goods taste earthy and a little bitter. It really depends on what type of cookie you make in terms of sweetness. Black sesame shortbread/sables are more common and as is the case with that type of cookie, not very sweet.
A soft and chewy cookie is much sweeter.

I tend to prefer sandy cookies like shortbread, but I made some soft and chewy black sesame cookies in March. I made sure they both had 2% salt rather than what was called for.

I like that they look kind of like jewelry.

But I liked the kind filled with mochi better because they were less sweet. Both were good though.

I’ve made the Alice Medrich black sesame cake and I wasn’t in love with it, but it was a very long time ago so I’ve been thinking of making it again to see if I’ll like it more. I will probably make a pound cake with the ground seeds instead, though. I have just enough seeds left for that.

3 Likes

I am sure that your post is what set me thinking of black sesame cookies! I do like the bitter…

1 Like

They are very good. I was thinking of adding chives but dh wanted to have one with jam. This was quick to make. I’ve had surgery recently and can’t stand for too long and didn’t do the prep dishes after, there but there wasn’t much.

2 Likes

These look amazing! Could I use farmer cheese instead of cottage? I have it leftover from her goosefeet cookies

I don’t know. Cottage cheese has more liquid than farmers cheese. Maybe you can increase the milk by a few tablespoons.

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE WAVE CAKE from former Baking COTM Dessert Person:

I made this for Passover tonight and we all were impressed with how good it was, especially for a Passover dessert. It was delicious and very rich. It’s a pretty classic flourless chocolate soufflé-style cake, which rose and then fell beautifully. I didn’t love the slight grit from the almond flour, but I had to grind my own, so it may not have been as fine as was called for. (I certainly couldn’t sift it, which was one of the directions…) Next time, I’d also serve the cake with some loose whipped cream of creme fraiche, especially if we weren’t avoiding dairy for the meal (for Kosher reasons). That all said, we all loved it, especially my niece Maya (3 years old). Also, though several of the EYB reviewers mentioned issues, I had zero problems with the method.

14 Likes