What are you baking? April 2022

Those look absolutely wonderful! They remind me of when I was a kid and we’d get pastries from the European deli in town. The sweet cheese filled ones were my favourite. Any chance of getting the recipe?

Yes, those are absolutely beautiful and the story is, too! I echo jammy - if you would part with the recipe, I would treasure it. (And I will do my best to attempt them for the Ukrainian Cuisine of the Quarter board!)

Dorie’s Ukrainian goosefeet cookies - forgot to post these - they were fantastic. Such nuggets of puff pastry. Highly recommend!

21 Likes

@sallyt

Beautiful! :+1:

2 Likes

Sourdough discard biscuits. Super crisp and flaky!

11 Likes

Gorgeous - and I loved the story about her realizing this was her aunt’s dough!

If you want to cross-post, Ukrainian is cuisine of the quarter.

2 Likes

Ukrainian Sweet Cheese Rolls
I converted most ingredients to grams
57 grams butter
57 grams vegetable shortening
3 eggs
110 grams full fat sour cream
(All ingredients at room temperature)
50 grams sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
21/4 teaspoons instant yeast
Pinch of Salt
480 grams flour (I used unbleached)
Put all ingredients except flour into stand mixer with wisk and on medium speed mix till you feel sugar dissolved. Switch to hook and on low speed slowly start adding flour. Withhold about half a cup. On medium speed mix dough. If it’s sticky add more flour a tablespoon at a time. Dough should be soft but not stick to hand. Gather dough into greased bowl,cover and let it double in size. I proofed mine in the oven on proof setting and it took about 1 1/2 hrs.
FILLING
500 grams pressed cottage cheese(jammy no frills has it or Richmond Hill Costco) I think Quarks would be fine
2 egg yolks
Zest of lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup of icing sugar
I find food processor works best for this. Put all ingredients in fp and pulsate till its very smooth. I added about a tablespoon of cream but milk will do. It should be as smooth as beaten cream cheese.
Assembly make a mixture of half cup sugar half cup icing sugar. Divide dough in 2 or 3 sections. Spread some sugar on your board and roll out a 14 inch circle for big rolls. Cut into 8 wedges. Spread about 2 tablespoons of filling on the wider edge about in the middle. Flip dough over and try to seal. Roll into crescent. Put your rolls on cookie sheet covered with parchment. Cover with teatowel and let rest for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325. Just before baking brush with egg wash and if you want sprinkle with left over sugar. Bake 30 minutes rotating half way. I got 16 rolls and froze 8. They freeze well. good luck PHEW

12 Likes

@Shellybean

Sourdough discard biscuits. Super crisp and flaky!

Another gorgeous bake! Is there a recipe associated with this one?

CARROT and PECAN CAKE with BROWN BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING from ”Dessert Person”

I made this in cupcake form for my book club. The cake was very good, but the brown butter cream cheese frosting (which many of you have recommended) was fantastic. This made 19 cupcakes. I ended up with an extra cup of frosting since the cupcakes didn’t require as much as the three layer cake; it is in the fridge and I am going to look for a recipe in ”Snacking Cakes” to pair it with.

12 Likes

Thanks!
They’re Nicole Muvu’s recipe. She makes and sells some amazing baked goods on Instagram, and these were recommended over other sourdough biscuits by a few people (I still want to try a few other versions though :laughing:).

I needed to save up discard to make these since I scarcely have more than 50 grams of discard at a time.
Because I use a stiff 50% hydration starter, and this recipe has more discard than flour, I prefer to mix the salt right into the discard for better dispersal. I used a small amount of buttermilk mixed with the discard and less flour in the dough to make up the disparity and the dough came together perfectly. I was surprised because I thought it would be more difficult to have a homogenous dough with my stiff starter, but the hydration was absolutely perfect and the dough very nice to work with.

The only thing I found odd was her baking time. I baked these for over 40 minutes! This doesn’t surprise me when I think about the fact that this recipe is mostly starter, so it’s yeast-raised bread really, and very rarely can you find bread that bakes in 15 minutes. I baked until they were browned and it was definitely necessary for the biscuits to be baked all the way through.
I’ll be making these again, though, because I think they’re outstanding. They’re so buttery and I love how crisp the top and bottom get.
Even though she uses pretty old starter, I think it’s good to use starter that isn’t too old, both for rise and for flavor.

2 Likes

Sure could use a couple of these with my coffee right now.

1 Like

Stef, thank you so much for taking the time to share your recipe. I’m really looking forward to these.

3 Likes

Your welcome. If something isn’t clear let me know. Although I might not be available for a week or two. Having surgery on Thursday. Nothing serious.

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

And good luck with your surgery and recovery!

What a great idea. It’s a huge cake and cupcakes you can freeze without icing

I lay the filling in the wider part of the wedge and then the dough closest to me goes over the filling and I go around and try to seal it. T hen you roll it like a croissant. If a little of the filling shows it’s OK. The filling bakes. You can see in my picture that some came out but it didn’t spread hope it’s clearer

1 Like

Thanks, yes, that’s well explained.

I’ll confess that I mainly did cupcakes to stretch the recipe to more servings. The cake recipe said it served 10. I needed 13 servings and I thought it might be a challenge to cut the cake into 13 slices. As an added advantage, I got to sample one before the guests arrived and no one was the wiser.

1 Like

a cup of frosting in my fridge = a cup of frosting in my mouth

4 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the link. I watched the video. It never occured to me to use a rolling pin to roll out biscuit dough. I’ve always used my hands to pat it out. I think I’ll try it next time. Probably helps keep the dough cooler.

Visually, the results are similar to a discard recipe I found over on The Fresh Loaf many years ago. Comparing the percentages, however, Nicole’s calls for a higher % of both liquid (via the starter) and butter. More butter is a good thing. I need to try the one you posted.

For reference, photo is of a bake I made about 5 years ago, using the recipe from TFL. Similarly, I use a series of laminations - how ever many I feel like making. It’s a habit I gained from reading Nathalie Dupree’s Southern Biscuits.

What I missed in the video, however, is the baking temp. Does 425 sound about right?

discard biscuit

4 Likes