Weekly Menu Planning - March 2022

This is my game plan for the week of March 27 - April 2 for two adults in San Francisco.

Sunday: Welsh Rarebit / tomato soup / salad of mixed greens and green beans (steamed and cooled) with warm goat cheese medallions

Monday: tabbouleh / roasted eggplant and red peppers with dry pan fried halloumi and some harissa / hummus with pita

Tuesday: cabbage and glass noodle stir fry / fried tofu in spicy garlic sauce / rice?

Wednesday: aloo tikki / mulligatawnay soup without chicken / rogan josh or I’ll go with matar paneer, if I don’t feel like meat / basmati rice
The soup will be sacrificed if I don’t have the time or patience to make all of this.

Thursday: chicken Francese with a pilaf that’s kind of Rice-A-Roni style and a side of steamed broccoli

Friday: gnocchi with vodka sauce (I think this will be my first time making gnocchi from scratch) / roasted asparagus / Caesar salad

Saturday: steak or fish fajitas with all the fixings and some Rancho Gordo beans

Hopefully I’ll get around to making some candied pecans to add to salads. I need to make a crusty loaf of bread so I can have some baked beans on toast which I’ve been craving for some time. I’ve also been meaning to try these furikake-seedy crackers https://www.davidlebovitz.com/furikake-seedy-recipe-gregory-gourdet-crackers-gluten-free/

Full disclosure - I almost never complete even half of the menu I’ve planned out for the week. I try to think of the menu plan as inspirational vs. set in stone. Otherwise I’d be an utter failure. Plus it’s super fun for me to plan menus.

I hope everyone is having a great final week of March. Peace!

15 Likes

Amazing job Lulu! Also happy to read about the beanapaloza happening again

5 Likes

Yay for fancy cheese nights!

I hope the solo parenting has gone okay.

4 Likes

I agree it’s so weird when the kids start making their own dinner plans! but great at the same time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip on MANGO SEASON @Saregama. While not Alphanso mangos It gave me confidence that the mangos on sale at my Minnesota grocery store were likely good ones. The “Champagne” / Honey mangos I brought home are perfectly sweet.

3 Likes

Champagnes / Ataulfo are what I eat when I’m home in NYC @MidwesternerTT - the texture is most reminiscent to me of Alphonso (smooth, not fibrous at all) even though the flavor isn’t as intense.

My SIL buys them by the double case all season long :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks OOD! It’s actually fairly rare that we don’t have to drive Lulu somewhere (or offer to take the other kid one way) when she hangs out with a friend, but on her own, heck yeah, it’s great to live walking distance to coffee shops, inexpensive restaurants, a bookstore, etc. for her (and us, of course). I’m very happy that she’s learning to explore the world on her own.

5 Likes

Don’t know if I mentioned, but I made that white chicken chili thanks to you, and LLD said it was the best chili he’s ever had.

Speaking of husbands and packing, I’ve probably told the story that LLD once went to Africa on a work trip, and totally forgot to pack any shirts. This is a very LLD story.

5 Likes

Thanks! All the cheese meals were SO good, and quick and easy too.

1 Like

I’m so glad LLD like the chili- especially with all the beans in it! I’m thinking of trying it with black beans next- we have a ton in the pantry- must be a breeding programs or something. I’m thinking the color won’t be a nice but worth a try.

LOL on the packing. . . that’s the reason I always double check Mr Autumm’s suitcase after he goes to bed before a trip

3 Likes

Tapas night does have a more elegant description to it. Though describing frozen egg rolls as tapas might be a stretch

6 Likes

I’m relearning solo parenting. It’s been almost six years so they are much more independent with self cares (they were kindergarten and 9 months, respectively then vs 5th grade and 1st grade now) so that is a huge help. The biggest change is making sure I am ready for getting them out to the bus and being home to let them in in the afternoon. Mr Autumm usually does the morning for that as it gives him some time to plan his day.

One nice thing is there is no good cop bad cop negotiations as you are stuck with what Mommy decides! Mr Autumm is a bit of a softie with them and the little one especially knows how to work the system

4 Likes

Greetings, people.

A fantastic week in the garden. Fruit trees are budding and tiny carrots and peas are sprouting. Leafy greens and brassica starts have been nestled in their places, along with row upon row of onion starts. The potato beds are prepped and ready to receive. In a kitchen garden, each turn of the shovel, every seedling planted, brings the thought of culinary ambitions not yet realized. Yay - spring!

Cooking and growing for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Spring vegetable soup for starter, followed by Pasta Alla Gricia with bacon and kale (both WaPo recipes).

SAT: Serious Eats bifteki. Roasted Greek potatoes. Greek salad.

SUN: Chicken and lemony orzo soup with spinach. Homemade bread.

MON: A salad of chicken breast on fresh greens. Either Caesar with homemade dressing, or this chicken and greens salad from NYT. Either way, Little Gem lettuce from the garden and homemade croutons.

TUE: Moo shu pork and cabbage. NYT’s mandarin pancakes.

WED: Steaks and asparagus on the grill.

THUR: Pan pizza. Green salad.

15 Likes

Global Tapas Night covers egg rolls, pizza bagels, etc…

8 Likes

Wow we are expecting snow tomorrow. I love Caesar salad. Your whole week sounds good.

3 Likes

I’m envious of your garden!

3 Likes

I only make them for bake sales… remember bake sales? lol

3 Likes

Actuals for the last week of March, cooking for 2 in MN. Fueled by Tuesday’s chocolate cake, we finished our taxes this week. Most meals were reheat & eat. My storage containers have now been reclaimed from the fridge and this upcoming week will have some new food.

Mon - Reheated marinated pork tenderloin beside Lentil Potato Soup and sliced baguette
Tues - noon - Oven Italian Beef “my way”, brown rice/black beans/rotel side dish. Fruit (fresh mango and kiwi). Evening - Salmon, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, fresh orange slices
BAKED half-recipe of Pioneer Woman Chocolate Sheet Cake / Texas Sheet Cake
Wed - noon - taco pasta and bag salad with toppings Chocolate sheet cake. Evening - Carryout pizza. Our traditional celebration meal for completing and filing our taxes. Yippeee!
Thurs - Sliced ham. Reheat sweet potato, Brussels sprouts Biscuits. Fresh mango
Fri - meals OUT - he - pizza lunch with the guys, me - fundraiser dinner banquet, with wine
Sat - Corn on the cob, (Schwan’s) breaded hake (whitefish), Fresh mango
Sun - noon - Grits and sausage breakfast casserole, Coleslaw. Red grapes. Strawberries over cake.
evening - Corn on the cob, taco pasta, coleslaw, mango

9 Likes

Hello to everyone from the blustery and cold and rain/snow mix in the Twin Cities of MN. Everything just feels cold and damp- and with all the extra skating practices this month cold has become the new normal. Mr Autumm is back from Texas (hooray!) and we have been powering through some late evenings with extra rehearsals but we have the schedule for the Skate Show (out of 15 routines in the 2nd half we are in 4 between the 2 girls- not sure how we are going to manage quick costume change without taking big kiddo’s skates off) We have all the dresses/costumes now and not too bad overall. The synchro dress screams “bridal” and jokes about everyone having hot chocolate before the performance has not gone over well with the skating director.

Anyways, actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 skating girls:

Fri 1: Little kiddo skated. Take out pizza. Mr Autumm got home at 11 PM and kinda just collapsed into bed

Sat 2: Big kiddo morning skate- I never take her but I was feeling charitable. Also fun to see her morning classes and catch up with some skate parents I haven’t seen in forever. Leftover white chicken chili for dinner- was planned for Friday but oh well

Sun 3: Lazy mommy’s fish tacos

Mon 4: Big kiddo skated late after dinner- the chicken planned did not defrost in time so breakfast for dinner, bacon, scrambled eggs and gnocchi in brown butter in place of hash browns. Assorted crudités

Tues 5: Eating in shifts due to all the rehearsals! Red sauce from freezer over noodles. Big kiddo had some soup in a thermos between practices

Weds 6: Big kiddo skated due to lesson switch. Black bean chicken chili in the crock pot- basically the white chicken chili from Tase of home made with black beans instead and I subbed out red salsa for the green chiles. It was nice and warm and good but we like the white bean version a bit better

Thurs 7: Tonight! I should really do a freezer dive- this cold blustery weather is not good for my motivation and I did not do a grocery run so we are low on supplies

Fri 8: Little kiddo skates. Fancy cheese night vs leftover chili

Sat 9/sun 10: Hopefully it’s dry so we can take down the Christmas lights outside. I would love to grill if the weather stays nice as advertised. Possibly takeout

Take care everyone!

5 Likes