Weekly Menu Planning - March 2022

You know we’ll need a follow up on the unicycle business…

9 Likes

I follow her on Twitter and I agree! She seems great! I am really looking forward to getting Ammu.

Another book I have coming next week(ish) is Khabaar: An Immigrant Journey of Food, Memory, and Family by Madhushree Ghosh. Excited for that! She was another find for me on Twitter. And I should be getting Maunika Gowardhan’s newest book, Thali, in the very near future too!

will do!

1 Like

I haven’t seen Khabaar yet, but I like Maunika Gowardhan’s recipes (though I find her app promotion annoying)

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s local, since the produce distributor probably has non-local suppliers… (the asparagus came in a produce box from a local distributor. It’s a surprise mix of fruits and vegetables.)

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t tried the app yet, although one of my coworkers seems to like it. In other news, Khabaar has arrived early! Flipping through it, it is in memoir form with recipes interspersed in the course of the narrative. Looks really interesting (and great pictures of dishes)!

2 Likes

As someone who had 6 arthroscopies on left knee beginning 1988 and ending with a half left knee replacement in 1999, which is still functioning very well coming up on 23rd birthday, I cringed at this! I hope all is well and toe heals quickly. So good that you got away, despite the injury!

Break a leg to your son! I did high school drama crew with great happiness, starting with costumes, going to properties manager, moving up to stage manager, until the spring of my senior year when we were told if we wanted to do crew, we had to audition. I was dubious but of course did it, and I was assigned the role of the older sister in Arsenic and Old Lace. One of the best experiences of my life! It was 1973 and I still remember some of my lines.

I think the team experience of school drama rivals that of school sports…that’s my bias.

5 Likes

Thanks, Madrid. My right knee is the bum one; I’ve had two rounds of ACL repair, one with a tibial plateau fracture and one with an MCL replacement too. The hardest part to swallow is that I’ve been in PT again since December so I can get back to running… this will set me back a few weeks. I’m trying not to obsess since I don’t see the doctor until Thursday.

2 Likes

I had a wonderful PT who really, really helped. Best wishes for a return to running soon!

3 Likes

By the way, I took a closer look at the recipe. I use more lemon. I tend to use at least half a relatively large lemon for 4 chicken quarters or a whole 1.5 to 2 lb roast chicken. I also would reduce the garlic to 1 or 2 cloves.

I decided to use this marinade on some Cornish hens that have been taking space in my freezer.

2 Likes

Very sorry to read this Truman.

1 Like

hi all - baking/cooking for 2 adults/2 kids in Boston suburbs. I baked a lot of cakes this week, 2 for friends, and 2 for my mom’s birthday - we celebrated Sunday and Tuesday. The winner of the 4 was the coconut lemon snacking cake, which is just amazing.

Friday March 18 - fudge chocolate snacking cake with cocoa frosting from Snacking Cakes; leftovers
Saturday March 19 - hamantaschen from Zingerman’s Bakehouse; make half the filling next time. Gingerbread cake from Snacking cakes; very good
Sunday March 20 - coconut lemon cake from Snacking Cakes - LOVED
Monday March 21 - out to eat
Tuesday March 22 - half recipe of Ina’s coconut cake (preferred snacking cakes version); walnut chicken; for lunches: Farro with feta, cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers (used 2x lemon juice, added salt, used almost a pint of tomatoes, 1 english cucumber, and 2 peppers. Probably makes 6 lunch servings.
Wednesday March 23 - at next door neighbor’s house
Thursday March 24 - spinach artichoke lasagna roll-up

16 Likes

Re. Thursday: I like the idea of adding artichoke to a lasagna or manicotti filling.

6 Likes

So I’ve been wondering if this could be converted to bars… what do you think?

The lasagna roll-ups look tasty!

1 Like

hmmmm how would you make them bars? I can’t quite visualize it!

I visualize a date square with Hamentaschen filling.

Or a Flódni

1 Like

Hey Everyone! It is so nice to ‘see’ so many familiar folks :blush:

My posting has been sparse over on CH because we were in crunch time for my Best Friends wedding (I was the Maid of Honor). Now that her event is over, we have a little breathing room before starting all the stuff for Matt and I’s big wedding (as most of you know, we eloped last winter :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

Cooking for two adults, sometimes three, in the suburbs of Philadelphia.

Monday- I am down two people on my team so work has been a bit hectic. Matt stayed late to attend a talk at the University where he teaches and I worked until after 6 pm so we ordered pizza from our favorite spot on our way home.

Tuesday - Best friend dinner night! Take out burgers and fries from a local place. I had a blue cheese bacon burger. It was tasty but the blue cheese they used was…odd. I’ll go with cheddar or american next time.

Wednesday- I am going to make a large batch of meatballs for the freezer. Some of those will go with dinner; locally made cheese cavatelli w/ marinara. Some kind of green if I can muster the energy, lol.

Thursday- Breakfast for dinner! Omelettes, biscuits, bacon, and lightly dressed green salad.

Friday and Saturday are up in the air.

Sunday I am making a big pot of Sunday sauce with cubes of chuck and pork shoulder. Will probably eat over rigatoni.

18 Likes

I was thinking that instead of rolling out and cutting the crust for individually-shaped hamentaschen, could the dough be pressed (or rolled without cutting) into a pan, then top with the filling. Cut into bars after baking.

Maybe the dough is too soft/delicate though.

3 Likes

There’s a (poorly written) Rachael Ray recipe that uses cheese ravioli for the pasta and cheese parts of the lasagna, and layers them with (1) a mix of spinach and artichoke hearts and (2) bechamel sauce. I only have a hard copy, and I’m happy to email a copy if anyone wants it, but this is similar:

4 Likes

I love having a supply of meatballs in the freezer. So many options for so many good and quick meals.

3 Likes