Weekly Menu Planning - April 2022

Monica, that’s such a good point - thank you. Even the “lazy” version is still work! (Chicken in the IP, sauce from a jar, and pre-shredded cheese… plus about 30 min of active time…)

7 Likes

Also, what many call Mexican lasagna or enchilada casserole is a version of stacked enchiladas, popular in New Mexico and parts of Mexico. Easier, but not necessarily inauthentic. But I, too, am a fan of anything to make it easy to get a meal on the table. I’ve long since felt bad about some of the shortcuts I use, including cans of Hatch enchilada sauce to make stacked enchiladas.

4 Likes

Hatch green enchilada sauce is a longtime favorite of mine. It’s a very good chile-based sauce. (When I make a green sauce from scratch, I usually do a tomatillo-based one.)

4 Likes

We used to live in Tempe, AZ (grad school, first teaching gig), and we like to visit Santa Fe and Albuquerque, so we got used to New Mexican-style enchilada sauce. Mmm… it’s been too long since we’ve been to Santa Fe.

4 Likes

Willing to share your recipe?

One I’ve used is Rick Bayless’s quick-cooked tomatillo sauce.

1 Like

Oh - I could never cater to that. My spouse of almost 44 years has become a proficient cook in his retirement, having nursed me through about 12 years of serious health issues. I am so grateful to him for it. We are about 15 years older than you. His father lived with us in the summertime after his wife died, and I did my best with that man but there was no joy in cooking for him and it was incredibly frustrating. He had no respect for me at all - even when I cooked him a pork roast with mashed potatoes and gravy in the middle of a hot July while I was going through chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer.

7 Likes

Thanks. Can I use jarred roasted hatch chile or do you recommend fresh chiles?

In that recipe, I’d use the fresh serranos or jalapeños he calls for, to your taste.

Greetings, people.

Keeping this week’s menu super simple and camp-ground friendly. If it finally stops raining, we’ll make a break for the coast. If it doesn’t, we’ll stay home and sulk.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Peruvian chicken kebabs. Roast potatoes. Green sauce.

SAT: Penne with sausage, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.

SUN: Asparagus and shrimp tempura. Steamed rice.

MON: Chicken tacos from the leftover Peruvian grill.

TUE: Sloppy Joe’s on homemade bread.

WED: Repeat the Sloppy Joe’s.

THUR: Repeat the tacos.

11 Likes

“Stay home and sulk” - that’s hilarious. I’m on the other side of the country from you on outer Cape Cod. It’s in the low 40’s with 40 mph wind gusts. My daffodils are bent over onto the ground…

2 Likes

How was the Burmese chicken?

Amen Monica!

2 Likes

I’m in Chapel Hill, NC. About 1/10 of our daffs bloomed. The others froze and never bloomed. So sad. Tulips were not very exciting either. Fairly miserable Spring down here.

Wow. We took a two week trip to Savannah in February and had great weather while we were there. Our snowdrops, hyacinths, daffodils sometimes poke their heads up when we have snow on the ground but I always tell myself they know what they’re doing. I think your area of the country is experiencing really unpredictable weather. But that’s happening all over the planet…

3 Likes

Hi everyone, fun catching up here. It’s beautiful out, but a chilly (for us at this time of year) day. The weather can’t seem to make up its mind. Lulu was in a fairly big deal debate tournament over last weekend, and is the first sophomore from her school to have made it to the quarterfinals and semifinals of it. Woohoo! But it made for a stressful week for her with all the prep. The pool where I do my laps just announced that they will no longer take reservations for a lane, and I’m in a bit of a funk about it. I’m not fast, and swim on my back, so sharing a lane is less relaxing. Got to deal with it though! Here’s what we’ve eaten, most of it chosen by Lulu for her birthday week:

4/18: smoked trout salad with apples, creme fraiche, salmon roe; baguette

4/19: sushi out! Agree with MTT, going out is So much fun.

4/20: SK chicken gyro salad with tzatziki and pita; carrot cake cupcakes

4/21: pasta puttanesca, cupcakes

4/22: curried chicken coconut soup, rice, salad, cupcakes

4/23: L at debate event; LLD cooked salmon, mashers, salad AND cleaned up after it (not quite as selfless as it sounds - this meant he could drink with dinner and that I’d do sober Lulu pick up)

4/24: fancy pizza carryout

4/25: old school hard shell tacos with impossible meat, cheese, cabbage; avocados. I fainted after dinner! Probably from dehydration.

4/26: LLD and I snuck off to a day game (Durham Bulls), so I went with a super easy crowd pleaser - bagels with smoked salmon, etc.

Here’s hoping we all experience Spring soon!

15 Likes

Congrats to Lulu! It all looks great, and I hope the fainting spell was a one-time thing!

3 Likes

Congratulations to Lulu!
My goodness, fainting after dinner?! I too hope that this was a one-off, never to happen again.
When is your next annual checkup? Maybe mention it then?

2 Likes

My tastes is what has changed. Due to diabetes meds, I can get nauseous very quickly and I will lose my appetite at the drop of a hat. Because of this I just don’t have a yearning for something and draw a blank when it comes to meals sometimes. Last night was a good night- we had tacos, mine was in salad but still same thing. I am losing my appetite for red meat. I joke and say don’t tell the American Angus Association or they will kick us out.
My husband totally respects me and my cooking ability as well as my farm wife abilities. My father in law is incredibility appreciative of what I send down to him on Sundays. Food for the husband just to keep himself going so when he says “just whatever”, he really means whatever. He would eat a bowl of cereal every night if that was all he had.

9 Likes

This reminds me of my BIL, who is deeply appreciative of what he calls my “fancy cooking” when I visit them, but who honestly is probably equally happy with the frozen dinners he nukes when my sister has something else going on. It’s so nice to have easy-going but appreciative eaters and honestly I often wish I was one of them.

8 Likes