Weekly Menu Planning - April 2022

This is looking out the back door this morning

5 Likes

The snow looks very pretty but I agree with you I’m sick of it. Hopefully next Tuesday’s warm weather will melt it all.

2 Likes

Got our second boosters, in preparation for our first travel in two years coming up in a few weeks. Just a few days, work-related for my husband, but we have not been unmasked indoors with other people, like in a hotel overnight, or done any indoor dining since March 2020. Trying to work up my courage by being as prepared as possible

For two adults in San Diego: Most likely chocolate chip scones, but maybe this: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/carrot-cake-loaf/

This week’s breakfasts:

S: (tonight) takeout
Su: Roast chicken, cabbage and noodles (inspired by https://www.budgetbytes.com/fried-cabbage-and-noodles/), and TJs carrot coins, which my husband picked up on a whim.
M: Shrimp (garlic butter, onions, peppers, Penzey’s Arizona Dreaming) and grits - seafood
T: Orange chicken with veggies and rice
W: Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw
Th: Red sauce pasta - vegetarian
F: Perhaps pulled pork tacos using leftovers from earlier in the week?

Have a good week!

17 Likes

@MonicaMadeIt Happy Birthday!

2 Likes

The carrot cake loaf recipe link you shared sounds delicious - thank you!!

1 Like

Actuals for April 4 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where a few favorites got made & posted (with recipes) on WFD. And Saturday felt like a pre-pandemic day of separate errands / visits with friends / separate lunches out and having some not-in-common experiences to talk about over the evening meal. I’m even looking into booking an end-of-summer vacation, either solo or with my sister. Husband says he’s still not interested in travel with an organized tour. I’ve done most of the organizing for our vacations through the years, and want to try letting someone else handle the arrangements.

Mon: Roasted chicken thighs, (Schwans frozen) roasted veggies and potatoes, salad – spinach/tomato/h.b egg, croutons. Dessert – fresh strawberries w/ whipped cream. Strawberries “locally grown” in MN Bushel Boy greenhouses were very sweet and fresh.
Tues: Quick chicken soup using tortellini, (frozen) mixed veg and meat from leftover roasted thighs.
Naan. Dessert - last of last week’s Texas chocolate sheet cake
Wed: lunch Philly Cheesesteak stuffed peppers, brown rice - recipe posted by EllenCooks, I reported with photo on WFD
Wed: dinner Baked smoked-turkey Chimichangas – I posted my version of recipe on HO
Thus: Salmon, asparagus w 1-egg hollandaise, sweet potato. Hollandaise recipe posted on HO
Fri: Mongolian Beef with white rice, green beens w/ slice almonds. Sliced fresh orange . Hat-tip Ellen Cooks who posted link and also the Philly Cheesesteak recipe using thin sliced beef on March WFD
Sat: Reheat Mongolian beef and rice, (Schwan’s frozen) chicken mini-eggrolls, red grapes
Sun (today): Spaghetti with chicken/tomato/spinach skillet sauce, baguette. Dessert – key lime pie (me) muffin w/ whipped cream (he)

14 Likes

Hi friends, cooking for two adults and an 11yo in the Boston burbs. Is it spring? Who knows. We were at DS’s soccer game yesterday and it got called for lightning and thunder… while we were waiting in the car, it started hailing! And now it’s sunny again. I can’t figure things out, I just know I’m ready for short sleeves.

In a completely unnecessary life complication, we got rear-ended yesterday - we were stopped at a red light, nobody was injured, but the back of my SUV is a bit scratched/gouged. I was frustrated to learn that MA makes you go online and fill out the details of the accident even when the police come. And of course each insurance company then asks the same questions… so, I guess I have a new activity to slot into the next couple of weeks.

Sun: we went out for a late lunch so dinner will be light, leftovers, or both. I’m also improvising a butternut squash/red lentil curry (for my lunches this week) because I can’t find the recipe I thought I’d saved.

Mon: Italian chicken and dumplings https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/italian-chicken-and-dumplings-recipe-2011964 (no mushrooms, pesto from a jar)

Tues: chipotle-honey tacos (NYT) and refried white beans (Cooking Light)

Weds: pork/vegetable/farro bowls, inspired by a Food Network magazine recipe

Thurs: DH is cooking - we’re going to give a “DH cooks on Thursdays” plan for a few weeks since it’s his WFH day. BLT turkey burgers and tater tots.

Fri: leftovers probably

15 Likes

Being rear-ended sounds scary but I’m glad to hear you’re okay. Good luck with the paperwork it sounds like it’s going to keep you busy for the next little while. And your meals this week sound good especially the squash lentil curry.

7 Likes

If I make it, I’ll post a review here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Another week of actuals for me, still enjoying being with my parents for a short while longer. It’s only getting hotter and muggier, and I finally had to ask my doctor friend for stronger allergy medicine for the potent spring allergies!

Sun - Childhood Sunday special, a real treat: Crab curry and rice. Another “after 4 or 5 years” family favorite by mom. Out if this world, but as I complained as a child, so tiring to eat! (That’s why it was a Sunday lunch meal… rest of the day to recover!)

Mon - (Homemade) Street food for dinner night 1 – Chaat, specifically Bhel and Sev Puri. Puffed rice, sev, puris, onion, boiled potato, several chutneys. We had soup before and fruit after (no prizes for guessing… mangoes!)

Tues - (Homemade) Street food for dinner night 2 – Pav Bhaji: roughly mashed cauliflower, peas, carrots, potatoes, and green beans, cooked in a highly spiced (but not spicy) onion-tomato-ginger-garlic base, served with buttery griddled dinner rolls.

Wed - Snacky delivery. The Muslim holy month of Ramzan/Ramadan just started, a side effect of which is an amazing food fest in the evenings in neighborhoods that observe the fast (fast breaks at sunset, and then there’s all kinds of special foods served until the wee hours when the next fast starts again before sunrise). We ordered in some favorites, which was nice throwback to when we’d actually pile into cars with family friends who observed the holiday and drive to those neighborhoods to feast in person (food from various stalls brought to the cars, we’d sit in or on them while we stuffed ourselves with delicacies we could only indulge in this one time of year).

Thurs - Dinner out with family friends after two and a half years, an outing for my parents. We are still being pretty careful but trying to normalize. Assortment of the club’s favorites – one end of the table went North Indian (chicken and paneer tikka, butter chicken, garlic naan, mutton rogan josh, mutton biryani), the other end went “Continental” (multiple orders of spinach and ricotta crepes in béchamel, fish and chips -so good!, potato leek soup). Bread and butter pudding for dessert for some, coffee for others. A lovely outing for all.

Fri - Pasta after ages, with a roasted tomato, garlic, and onion “sauce” - not pureed, just crushed after roasting. “Cream of” vegetable soup that actually had no dairy – I added some red lentils to the vegetables which gave the soup a lovely creaminess and body when pureed.

Sat - Momos (tibetan dumplings) and sweet corn soup. Frozen momos done two ways - steamed and pan fried. Vegetable, spicy vegetable and cheese, chicken, and spicy chicken momos – we buy these frozen by the bag, like TJ’s dumplings.

Sun - Indian Chinese made at home – Hakka noodles, vegetable fried rice, chicken “lollipops” (frenched wing drumettes), chilli chicken, and Manchurian vegetables. We started with a light cream of celery soup, partly because we had sweet corn soup the day before, and partly because if we had anything heavier we wouldn’t have been able to do the food justice!

Oh, in addition to mangoes, one of my favorite fruits is back in season as well - tadgola aka ice apples. I’ve only ever seen them canned in syrup in the US, which is a travesty to their delicate texture and flavor. So I’m eating as many as I can while they are plentiful!

Have a great week!

18 Likes

Planned a full menu and then remembered that my partner will be out of town for business today (Monday) through Wednesday, so I scaled it back a bit and kept it simple for the two nights it’s just my daughter and me.

Cooking for two adults and one very picky 8 year old in southwestern Ontario where it’s starting to feel like very early spring, but where we are still many weeks out from things like local asparagus!

M - Breakfast for dinner (blueberry pancakes, bacon, fresh fruits)

T - Burgers (purchased from Farm Boy), oven fries, veggies and dip

W - Chipotle cheddar chimichanga tacos with Mexican street corn salad (from Caroline Chambers’ substack)

Th - Crispy sheet-pan gnocchi and veggies - I’ll add some Italian sausage (Kitchn)

F- Takeout

14 Likes

Back at it here in STL… some rain, some sun. My husband is officially back at work in person more often than not, and I am at work every day this week but can still do my hybrid schedule (2 days at work, 3 days at home) most weeks. It’s a challenge.
Sun 4/10: Julia Turshen zoom cooking class, menu was baked chicken fingers, cucumber salad, plus a peanut butter & jelly frozen pie and a rum punch (skipped both of those). I roasted potato wedges with za’atar to bulk up the meal. my friend in Indianapolis and I took the class together which was fun. Again I didn’t really learn anything new but it’s so great to have dinner sorted out by the early afternoon on Sunday so it’s not a scramble starting at 5:30 pm.
Mon 4/11: salad using the leftover chicken fingers
Tue 4/12: asparagus cacio e pepe from Dinner Changing the Game. we made this a few weeks ago and love it so much, and it’s amazingly fast.
Wed 4/13: SK ED crouton, sausage, bean stir fry vs SK skillet ravioli. Last year during CSA season I sautéed and froze a lot of greens (with onion and garlic) to be used for these dishes or spanakopita or whatever. I also freeze leftover cooked beans, so this should be pretty quick. we just don’t have sausage and not sure when that can be picked up.
Thu 4/14: a freezer meal (some chickpea curry?) vs takeout
Fri 4/15: definitely takeout!
For my lunches this week I’ve made this kale, feta, lentil salad and it is SO good. I dropped the lentils to 3/4 cup which still yields a lot of lentils. it’s enough for the whole week.

14 Likes

Tonight’s dinner (asparagus cacio e pepe) sounds interesting. Is it a pasta dish, or more like a side dish?

I made the Carrot Cake Loaf. Only a few adjustments: I was out of ground ginger (?!?!?), so I subbed pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. I used sour cream instead of yogurt. And I added walnuts, one of the suggested add-ins. No frosting/glaze, because this is intended for breakfast. Came out very good, with a lighter crumb than I expected for the heaviness of the batter. A keeper.

5 Likes

Greetings, People.

Full-on spring in the PNW. We had hail and sleet early in the week, mixed with intermittent blue skies and sideways-blowing cherry blossoms. We took advantage of the sunny breaks to get a lot done in the yard and garden, managing also to fire up the Bradley smoker to get a project in for my Dad. When it rained, I poured over spring recipes found in my “to make someday” files, and was equally happy to read and be inspired by your collective postings here on HO.

Cooking for two adults on the North Olympic Peninsula:

FRI: Steak and asparagus on the grill.

SAT: Spicy, lemony chicken breasts on salad greens with croutons.

SUN: Penne with sausage, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.

MON: Wings on the grill. Veggie sticks.

TUE: Spring pasta Bolognese with lamb and peas.

WED: Vietnamese chicken thighs. Asian cucumber salad. Steamed rice.

THUR: A repeat of last week’s asparagus pizza. Green salad.

14 Likes

Cooking for two adults in the mountains of southwest Virginia. It is finally warming up some and I was able to turn the heat off and open windows this week during the day. However we have frost this morning. We still have dogwood winter and blackberry winter to go through. For those that want to know dogwood winter is the cold snap that hits when the dogwoods bloom and blackberry winter is the cold snap during the time the blackberries are blooming. Husband is cleaning up pastures and dragging cow manure over the pastures. We have finished feeding out the silage and hay so the cows have to make it on whatever grass is growing. We lost a couple of calves last week due to respiratory issues caused by the snow and cold. The temperature shifts is what gets them sick, one day warm next day cold.
Today is fridge clean out and huge grocery shop in anticipation for Easter. We will do take out tonight.
Saturday- absolutely no idea hope to be inspired at grocery store today or grilled hotdogs with homemade hotdog chili from the freezer
Sunday-Easter- ham, scalloped potatoes, roasted asparagus for me and FIL, mac and cheese-hubby’s request, deviled eggs, strawberry rhubarb pie for FIL and husband requested pineapple upside down cake. I make it in a iron skillet.
Monday- spaghetti with meat sauce, salad
Tuesday-Leftover ham repurposed into ham, cheese, and peas pasta. I will add asparagus into mine.
Wednesday-Husband has requested sausage, biscuits, and gravy. I will have a salad
Thursday- leftover spaghetti
Friday-Probably take out
Happy Easter everyone!

14 Likes

That Easter menu looks delicious–I’d want some of both desserts! Hope your weather starts getting more consistent.

4 Likes

Agreed your menu sounds delicious. I enjoy reading your posts about your farm. I’ve been a city girl all my life so it’s interesing hearing about where my food comes from.

4 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where April showers are a real thing…

Saturday, April 16: Ottolenghi spinach and potato pie (NYT); broccoli that needs to be used up
Sunday: Asparagus and smoked salmon Benedicts (Cook’s Country), hot cross buns. Making some fancy pistachio praline chocolates, so that will take up most of my cooking energy this weekend!
Monday: Out for lunch with a friend, so dinner may be scrounge
Tuesday: Probably takeout
Wednesday: Pasta alla Norma, Ottolenghi style (Guardian)
Thursday-Friday: Off to San Antonio for DH’s conference; hope to eat a lot of tacos! Anyone have any recommendations?
Have a great week, all! Whether you’re celebrating Ramadan, Passover, Easter, or spring, enjoy and happy cooking!

15 Likes

Greetings from Ottawa where it continues to be cool and overcast. On a positive note I get Friday AND Monday off. Last Sunday’s visit to the art gallery got kaiboshed since a nearby department store had sales on last weekend and since I am in dire need of clothing I went shopping instead. If anyone remembers the sitcom Three’s Company specifically when the Ropers were on, most of the dresses look like the ones Mrs. Roper used to wear. I will wait another month or two when the stores will hopefully have a better selection to pick from. Museum visit will be rescheduled for this week. Onto my menu, actuals from last night to planned to next Thursday.

Last night: the fettuccine al pesto got bumped since I had some mushrooms in the fridge that needed to be finished up so I made a mushroom sundried tomato risotto.

Tonight: chicken caccitore.

Saturday: shopping day. I will be making an "emergency " run to Kettelman’s (bagel shop) so guess what I am having for dinner :wink: I have some ricotta in the fridge to spread on the bagel so I might get some lox too.

Sunday: happy Easter to those who are celebrating. I will have a Lac Brome duck leg (thanks to Phoenikia for recommending them in the Farm Boy forum), sweet potato, Brussels sprouts.

Monday: Museum visit today. Dinner will be cedar-planked salmon from food52.

Tuesday: fried cabbage and noodles from budget bytes. I may add some of the ground beef I have in the freezer.

Wednesday: stuffed green pepper, veggies tbd.

Thursday: fettuccine with carmelized onion sauce topped with feta cheese, garden salad on the side.

I am planning on making French onion soup (from epicurious) and vegetarian peanut soup (from Cookie and Kate). I was going to make a black bean soup as well but I went to the Chinese grocery store after work yesterday and decided to pick up a chicken carcass while I was there for chicken soup. I haven’t made it in ages so that’s what I had for lunch today.

17 Likes