Weekly Menu Planning - April 2022

To be fair, he does the winter feeding I don’t. He does most of the hay and corn work. I don’t except for raking and helping him bring the bales into the hay lot. All I want is ideas. The man has 1.5 to 2 million dollars of stress on him a year so I kinda give him a break on the house stuff. I had leak under my kitchen sink and kept a bucket under it for 6 months because it was spring into summer and he was too busy with hay and corn. You don’t push a farmer at planting time which is coming up, or June into August which is haying or end of September which is chopping corn. I also don’t push when the snow is piling up and he is on 12 hour shifts at his regular job and then coming home in the cold and dark to feed the cattle.
To be clear, I am not asking for him to go grocery shopping , or pay for the groceries, or to cook it or to wash dishes, I am asking for an idea a couple times a month. Sometimes he does answer like last week- biscuits and gravy. LOL

9 Likes

Hi everyone. Cooking for two adults and an 11yo in the Boston burbs.

Sun: burgers - time to pull the grill out, finally! Not sure yet what we’ll have on the side.
Mon: loaded baked potatoes (cheese, bacon, sour cream, broccoli, etc.) - I asked DH at least 3x if he was okay not having meat and he said yes, so any whining is on him.
Tues: fish and chips and (non-mushy) peas (alternative vegetable for me as I hate peas)
Weds: lazy chicken enchiladas (casserole style) and beans
Thurs: ravioli and red sauce, asparagus - DH’s turn to cook
Fri: guys will have pizza, I’m going out with friends

13 Likes

Actuals for April 18 week, cooking for 2 in MN. We had Spring yesterday - 75 degrees, alternating rainy, breezy and glimpses of sun. Back down to 45 and gloomy today. We celebrated our Anniversary with meals out and quiet time at home together. After 2 years of very few restaurant meals, we’re still really noticing how much we enjoy seeing random strangers and choosing a meal (not cooked by me). But also still adjusting to much higher restaurant prices. For meals at home it was another week of lots of leftovers, and by Friday we reclaimed most of my storage containers from the fridge.

Mon - leftover Curry cod, salmon, lemony hollandaise, white & wild rice (from freezer), sweet potato quarter. Fresh spinach salad. Dessert – tiny slices of key lime pie, chocolate cream pie
Tues - (Also lunches the rest of the week) - White Chicken Mushroom Spinach Lasagna from Julia Pacheco, with added chopped artichokes. Whole wheat baguette.
Wed - Leftovers clear out
Thurs - (commercial) Coconut shrimp, Sweet potato, broccoli
Fri - OUT – buffet restaurant with friends
Sat - OUR ANNIVERSARY meals OUT
Sun (today) - Reheat chicken mushroom spinach artichoke lasagna. Baguette. Leftover restaurant salad

12 Likes

Happy anniversary!

4 Likes

@truman, please let us know how the lazy enchiladas taste. I have plans to make them in the future. Would love to have a comment from someone who has actually eaten them. TIA

1 Like

The May discussion is ready whenever your plan is more for May than April.

4 Likes

Happy anniversary! And it is such a satisfying to reclaim all the storage containers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, I do this all the time! I make the filling (chicken, sauce, cheese, maybe some sour cream) and then just layer with corn tortillas. Save a bit of sauce and cheese to put on top, then cover with foil and bake until heated through.

I think my “recipe” is based on the Green Chicken Enchiladas recipe in Laurel Randolph’s IP cookbook; it’s indexed in EYB but I can paraphrase if you need directions - let me know. Back in the days of Chowhound, several of us made and liked this skillet version that can use rotisserie chicken: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cheesy-chicken-enchilada-skillet

1 Like

Our version is dubbed “Mexican Lasagna” - using whole flour tortillas as layers along with the fillings in an 8x8 pan, salsa takes the place of lasagna’s tomato sauce, layer cooked ground beef or chicken with cumin to season, black beans or refried beans, cheese, sometimes leftover rice or corn, repeat. Salsa and cheese on top, cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes. Very popular at our house and makes great leftovers for lunches.

3 Likes

Happy anniversary!

2 Likes

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Finishing up chocolate chip walnut scones.

S: Fri/Sat was spent in Los Angeles for the Festival of Books. Meals were either the green room at the Festival or hotel food. Nothing exciting. Ended up doing indoor dining for one meal because a restaurant didn’t honor our outdoor reservation because a large party came in. I’ll definitely be taking rapid tests before teaching my in-person classes this week. Despite that, it was nice to get away for the weekend, I must say.

Su: Chicken soup with veggies and a splash of cream. Served with bread.

M: Ramen to use up some stock, chicken, and veggies.

T: TJs lemon ravioli with peas (and chicken, if there is any leftover) in a garlic wine butter sauce.

W: Puff pastry topped with Boursin cheese and grilled asparagus - vegetarian

Th: Tostadas with beans, cheese, guacamole, and leftover spiced turkey taco filling from the freezer.

F: Lobster rolls - seafood. Scheduled to be delivered on Thursday from GoldBelly (using a gift card).

Have a good week!

11 Likes

congratulations on your anniversary! glad it was enjoyable.

2 Likes

I really like enchilada casserole and refuse to call any home cooking lazy. That meal would involve making (or buying) a sauce and fillings, maybe chopping some vegetables, assembly, and washing up afterwards. Effort was expended, even if not the maximum amount of effort possible. We shouldn’t discount our own labor so much that a home-cooked meal becomes morally deficient.

10 Likes

hi everyone, we are having the same weather ups and downs here in St. Louis. It was 85 deg on Saturday and we went on a 4 hr hike in a nearby state park; today it’s currently 50 deg and I had to turn the heat back on. We planted the more hardy herbs and veg this weekend (chard, broccoli, bok choy, dill, parsley) and will get some tomato starts next weekend. 2 adults and 1 teen.
Sat 4/23: pizza/salad takeout
Sun 4/24: attended a banquet at daughter’s school for the Thespian Society. first big public gathering in 2+ years. Nothing’s changed: I still dread attending this type of event.
Mon 4/25: SK asparagus galette
For lunch I made this white bean avocado salad and it was disappointing. there was no textural contrast and the avocado was not detectable (I only used 1 instead of 2 because 2 is a LOT of avocados). I added some chopped cabbage and pepitas for crunch and cherry tomatoes for flavor and it was still blah… will chop some red bell pepper and make croutons to add today and see if that helps.
Tue 4/26: hot sauce chicken (breasts, not whole chicken, and grilled not roasted) and Mom’s rice both from Amá. maybe some slaw.
Wed 4/27: leftovers from Tues.
Thu 4/28: i have to attend a work dinner. boo.
Fri 4/29: celebrate the weekend with takeout, as one does

13 Likes

Monica, that’s such a good point - thank you. Even the “lazy” version is still work! (Chicken in the IP, sauce from a jar, and pre-shredded cheese… plus about 30 min of active time…)

7 Likes

Also, what many call Mexican lasagna or enchilada casserole is a version of stacked enchiladas, popular in New Mexico and parts of Mexico. Easier, but not necessarily inauthentic. But I, too, am a fan of anything to make it easy to get a meal on the table. I’ve long since felt bad about some of the shortcuts I use, including cans of Hatch enchilada sauce to make stacked enchiladas.

4 Likes

Hatch green enchilada sauce is a longtime favorite of mine. It’s a very good chile-based sauce. (When I make a green sauce from scratch, I usually do a tomatillo-based one.)

4 Likes

We used to live in Tempe, AZ (grad school, first teaching gig), and we like to visit Santa Fe and Albuquerque, so we got used to New Mexican-style enchilada sauce. Mmm… it’s been too long since we’ve been to Santa Fe.

4 Likes

Willing to share your recipe?

One I’ve used is Rick Bayless’s quick-cooked tomatillo sauce.

1 Like